Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Booked air on Priceline-want to upgrade to business on one leg-no one knows?

Old Jun 2, 18, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Going on a multi-destination flight to Europe (IAD-CDG-VCE)and got a really great rate for Premium Economy. I'd love to upgrade to business for the first leg IAD-CDG. Called Priceline and they directed me to Air France who directed me back to Priceline. My booking details show on both sites. I did not bid on this airfare. It was a straight purchase. I got the rate from skyscanner who directed me to priceline.

Has anyone had experience with this type of scenario? Perhaps it can't be done? I wish I could transfer my booking to Air France. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 4, 18, 12:12 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Did you ask Priceline to transfer the booking to Air France? Not sure if they would... but worth asking.
Soullessginger likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Did you ask Priceline to transfer the booking to Air France? Not sure if they would... but worth asking.
I'm going to give it a try. I'll post what my results were. Thanks so much! I appreciate the response.
Old Jun 4, 18, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Update: The lady at Priceline was helpful and contacted Air France. If I understood her (bad connection) our fare is a consolidation fare and cannot be upgraded. If I remember correctly, we are an "A" fare
I'm not sure what that means as we get closer to the flight, within the 48 hours of flight. I can't imagine we couldn't pay for an upgrade. The price was good at Priceline, but not worth giving up the control.
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
A consolidator fare is a fare restricted for sale by certain agencies (consolidator) and often comes with restrictions. Some consolidator fares donít earn any mileage credit; depends on specific fare rule.
Old Jun 10, 18, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
A consolidator fare is a fare restricted for sale by certain agencies (consolidator) and often comes with restrictions. Some consolidator fares donít earn any mileage credit; depends on specific fare rule.
I'm learning a lot from this site. Too bad I didn't check it out before I booked my flight. Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 13, 18, 1:56 pm

Regardless of what reservations agents tell you, I would ask at the airport about a paid upgrade to business class. You never know what an airlineís revenue management might make available on that day. I canít speak for AF specifically, but many airlines do like the revenue stream from walk up upgrades, if the J seats are otherwise going out empty.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
Regardless of what reservations agents tell you, I would ask at the airport about a paid upgrade to business class. You never know what an airlineís revenue management might make available on that day. I canít speak for AF specifically, but many airlines do like the revenue stream from walk up upgrades, if the J seats are otherwise going out empty.
Thanks, Mike! I'm keeping an eye on the seats through Expertflyer. So far, only 9 seats are occupied in business and they show at least 9 J class available. I will definitely check at the airport. Thanks again. I'll also report back
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Soullessginger View Post
Thanks, Mike! I'm keeping an eye on the seats through Expertflyer. So far, only 9 seats are occupied in business and they show at least 9 J class available. I will definitely check at the airport. Thanks again. I'll also report back
Expert Flyer is great. As you are aleredy in Premium Economy, hopefully your fare bucket will be upgradable on the day of travel at reasonable cost. Historically, this definitely has been possible on AF if the J cabin has many available seats.
Old Jun 13, 18, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Expert Flyer is great. As you are aleredy in Premium Economy, hopefully your fare bucket will be upgradable on the day of travel at reasonable cost. Historically, this definitely has been possible on AF if the J cabin has many available seats.
I'm slowly learning how to use Expert Flyer. It is a great tool and one I'll use in the future. I'll be a lot more savvy when I purchase my next airline tickets!!! It will be interesting to see how much they charge for the upgrade (if available). I've followed the thread on here which tracks the changes to the mileage plan.
Old Jun 14, 18, 10:12 am

I'm slowly learning how to use Expert Flyer. It is a great tool and one I'll use in the future. I'll be a lot more savvy when I purchase my next airline tickets!!! It will be interesting to see how much they charge for the upgrade (if available). I've followed the thread on here which tracks the changes to the mileage plan.
Mileage upgrades and paid upgrades are two different things entirely.

There have been some changes apparently to Air Franceís paid upgrade offers, but presumably even a discounted Premium Economy fare would be eligible for a paid upgrade to business class if they offer that option. That price can fluctuate between a relatively low amount if there is a lot of J availability, to basically the full difference in fare if there is little J availability.

The Air France fourm regulars will know the current details about paid upgrades, and mileage upgrade eligibility and requirements.

Old Jun 14, 18, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Mileage upgrades and paid upgrades are two different things entirely.

There have been some changes apparently to Air Franceís paid upgrade offers, but presumably even a discounted Premium Economy fare would be eligible for a paid upgrade to business class if they offer that option. That price can fluctuate between a relatively low amount if there is a lot of J availability, to basically the full difference in fare if there is little J availability.

The Air France fourm regulars will know the current details about paid upgrades, and mileage upgrade eligibility and requirements.
People have been posting the cost of upgrades in miles and $ in the thread. The numbers are all over the place. It's really interesting reading some of the offers.
Old Jun 14, 18, 12:26 pm

People have been posting the cost of upgrades in miles and $ in the thread. The numbers are all over the place. It's really interesting reading some of the offers.
Yes, for me personally, Premium Economy is basically acceptably comfortable. So, I would probably not be willing to pay thousands of dollars/euros to upgrade to business class. But, if the upgrade on offer is a fair price, then Iíd go for it.
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Yes, for me personally, Premium Economy is basically acceptably comfortable. So, I would probably not be willing to pay thousands of dollars/euros to upgrade to business class. But, if the upgrade on offer is a fair price, then Iíd go for it.
I totally agree. Unless it's a really good deal, we'll stick with what we have. We have exit row seats on the first leg and PE on the way back. We will make the best of it. Hopefully, I will sleep!! That's always a difficulty even with meds.

Search this Thread