Expedia booking hell

Old Apr 10, 18, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Expedia booking hell

Sorry if this has been posted abou before, but I need some selfish venting before I go crazy! I booked a flight to Bali business class and a cheap hotel. Fillet steak and potato smiles is my kind of style! Anyway, Expedia went and charged the hotel at over £9300 and refunded it around 5 or 6 times and I now have a pending transaction for my flight which has already processed. I rang the most up Andy spent hour so on the phone to the most incompetent of people only to be told that’s there’s no no record of any of this. I’ve sent them credit card statements, but apparently not my 90 pound hotel being charged 100 times more didn’t happen. Meanwhile I can’t use my credit card and all my monthly payments are being declined. I’ve also got arrears payments to contend with eventually. I literally can’t believe the incompetence.
Old Apr 11, 18, 12:18 pm

Call your credit card to dispute.
Old Apr 11, 18, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The GBP payment suggests you are in the UK, so your card issuer will process a chargeback and provide you with a temporary credit immediately and make that credit permanent presuming that what you say is correct.

Generally speaking, do not book through third-party vendors. Even if you can achieve smallish savings, when things go wrong, getting them fixed can be very hard.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Erik! Thanks for the reply and sorry to anyone if the original post came off as rude, but I was rather angry at that time! I called the credit card company and they said that I would have to send in some paper work, receipts and also a written copy from the company saying that we couldn't come to any resolution. Therefore I am only left with dealing with Expedia until I can get some kind of written confirmation.
Often1, I'm actually in Japan, but Japanese companies don't really give out credit cards to foreign nationals so easily. The reason I use Expedia is because it never seems to have a problem with foreign credit cards whereas booking directly with airlines seems to cause me a lot of trouble.
There really does seem to have some enormous problem with the booking here. I understand IT problems happen, but the level of incompetence from the customer service rivals British Airways. That's a pretty hard thing to beat!
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by geerat View Post
Sorry if this has been posted abou before, but I need some selfish venting before I go crazy! I booked a flight to Bali business class and a cheap hotel. Fillet steak and potato smiles is my kind of style! Anyway, Expedia went and charged the hotel at over £9300 and refunded it around 5 or 6 times and I now have a pending transaction for my flight which has already processed. I rang the most up Andy spent hour so on the phone to the most incompetent of people only to be told thatís thereís no no record of any of this. Iíve sent them credit card statements, but apparently not my 90 pound hotel being charged 100 times more didnít happen. Meanwhile I canít use my credit card and all my monthly payments are being declined. Iíve also got arrears payments to contend with eventually. I literally canít believe the incompetence.
Iíd like to help, but I have no idea what your actual complaint is. You were charged for a hotel and then had that refunded? Do you have flights? Who is Andy? What is a potato smile? Is that like a Glasgow Smile?
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Hi LondonElite, Potato smiles are the most wonderful form of junk food! I guess if you've ever had tater tots then think of them but in smile shapes! Anyway, I booked a hotel for •13,965, which is around $130 or £92. After I booked it, I noticed my credit card had stopped being accepted. I thought nothing of it but after a week, I decided to check my credit card and noticed no payments for £92 but 3 payments for £9368. So, for a week or so, Expedia had raided my credit card for around £27,000 without explanation. I called them up and spent around 3 hours trying to explain this to the incompetent staff but they just kept saying there was no evidence of any charges and that it was all fine! No problem! I also bought the flight through Expedia for the reasons I said in the previous post. The pending payment for that transaction has now disappeared thankfully. The £27,000 seems to have been refunded also, but I'm now left with a lot of bounced payments for services which will be cut off and literally no explanation or apology from Expedia.
Old Apr 12, 18, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is unusual and indeed unfortunate. I agree that pretty much the only way to resolve this is to speak to the fraud department of your credit card provider. Best of luck. I find that Amex in particular is very helpful. The bounced payments really should be resolvable.
Old Apr 12, 18, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have had your charges refunded, the entire chargeback issue is a red herring. I would speak with your card issuer about waiving overlimit charges and then with each vendor who believes you stiffed them. Beyond that, all I can say is, don't use third party vendors.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 18, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the polite displays despite my initial angry post! I generally do book my flights direct with the airline if possible. My problem was with the hotel part of the booking only this time, but I've now cancelled this for obvious reasons. Is it recommended to book directly with hotels?
Old Apr 16, 18, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty much always. And airlines.
geerat likes this.
Old Apr 16, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Well then I shall consider this a lesson learnt very much the hard way!
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, QR Privilege Club, HH Gold
Not a particularly useful reply to the OP's issue, but I feel I should defend Expedia somewhat. Booked 10+ bundle deals and half a dozen flights through them and each time it has been perfect and the prices were significantly better than elsewhere. Guess you were just unfortunate - hope it gets resolved.
Old Apr 21, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattHall View Post
Not a particularly useful reply to the OP's issue, but I feel I should defend Expedia somewhat. Booked 10+ bundle deals and half a dozen flights through them and each time it has been perfect and the prices were significantly better than elsewhere. Guess you were just unfortunate - hope it gets resolved.
of course, if nothing goes wrong itís fine, but if you have to contact he customer service itís infuriating. Theyíre almost as bad as British airways.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: