Wiki Posts
Search

The perfect OTA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sfoboy85
I book directly with airlines when it comes to flights. I like the flexibility of picking my seat and not having to rely on third party sites. For hotels, it is an entirely different world and that's where I can justify paying for membership-based sites, such as LMT and WHG due to the money I save. But I would never say that anything out there is "perfect"... you have to try and see it for yourself what works the best for you!
What issues have you experienced with picking your own seat on flights when booked on OTA? I book, get the PNR, and then go to the airline's site and pick everything there. Even when I have a codeshare (even if booked directly with an airline), I'll get the PNR for the operating carrier and manage whatever directly there.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
What issues have you experienced with picking your own seat on flights when booked on OTA? I book, get the PNR, and then go to the airline's site and pick everything there. Even when I have a codeshare (even if booked directly with an airline), I'll get the PNR for the operating carrier and manage whatever directly there.
Once I used Amextravel and booked a Copa flight from LAS to PTY. Got the PNR, ticket number and when I went to Copa's site I couldn't pick my seat because it said it cannot find my reservation. Called Amextravel and they called Copa on my behalf and I was told that because I booked it on Amextravel, I am not allowed to pick my own seat until check-in. That's one example that happened 2 weeks ago.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Interesting - that stinks. Sorry to hear
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Interesting - that stinks. Sorry to hear
It is only a 6.5 hr flight LOL :P
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sfoboy85
I was told that because I booked it on Amextravel, I am not allowed to pick my own seat until check-in.
Surely that would be just Copa, and not all airlines?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Surely that would be just Copa, and not all airlines?
It certainly is not all airlines, and is it really true for COPA? It sounds like something else was going on, becasue COPA couldn't find your reservation. I bought a COPA flight in Orbitz just under a year ago and had no problem getting a seat. Maybe it has changed though.

Although there are some outliers, in general the ability to pick seats depends only on the the fare class and availability, not where you bought the ticket. That said when I can I buy directly, why add any complexity? But most airline websites are limited and I often want itenrearies that are not available directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.