Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

How to search for possible flight itineraries?

Old Mar 2, 18, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Is there a tool for finding possible flight itineraries regardless of availability or price?

The ITA's Android app OnTheFly was great for that, but it is gone.

I need that several times a year when I get stranded at an airport and want to find out what is even flying. Websites and apps I've found are useless for that task, as they only show a small subset of itineraries, and only those that are showing seats for purchase, and often nothing for the same day.

TNX
Old Mar 22, 18, 12:28 am
Original Poster

I've found a site that helps us find all nonstop flights from a given airport:

https://www.flightsfrom.com/SMF (example with SMF Sacramento).
Old Mar 22, 18, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
Is there a tool for finding possible flight itineraries regardless of availability or price?
Get a free trial of Expert Flyer and see if it doesn't meet your needs before subscribing on a monthly/yearly basis.

I was flying SFO-EWR two weeks ago when storms came in and cancelled my nonstop flight, and it provided alternative one-stop routings with seats available for sale which matched exactly what an Alaska agent offered when I called. Landed in Newark at midnight on my new routing and suspect my flight was one of very few that got in that evening from the looks of the deserted Newark airport.
Old Mar 22, 18, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I've found a site that helps us find all nonstop flights from a given airport:

https://www.flightsfrom.com/SMF (example with SMF Sacramento).
There is already an extensive thread on this in Travel Tools. Suggest lock.
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Get a free trial of Expert Flyer and see if it doesn't meet your needs before subscribing on a monthly/yearly basis.

I was flying SFO-EWR two weeks ago when storms came in and cancelled my nonstop flight, and it provided alternative one-stop routings with seats available for sale which matched exactly what an Alaska agent offered when I called. Landed in Newark at midnight on my new routing and suspect my flight was one of very few that got in that evening from the looks of the deserted Newark airport.
Does it also show flights that have no seats available for purchase?
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
There is already an extensive thread on this in Travel Tools. Suggest lock.
Where is that extensive thread on a tool that finds itineraries for today, whether they are bookable or not?

There is a thread about flightsfrom, but it only shows Nonstop connections. That is nice, but often insufficient.
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it also show flights that have no seats available for purchase?
It will show inventory. If a flight is F0Y0 - you'll see that. If it's cancelled, you'll see that, too, in place of inventory. Yesterday would have been a great day to check it out with the east coast weather. Today would be a good day, too, as there are probably lots of flights with zero inventory for sale to check for that, too. I'm not sure it shows every airline, though. Certainly Alaska, AA and UA are there. I'm not a Delta or Southwest flyer and haven't followed their flights, and no idea on what Canadian carrier inventory they provide. You might send them an e-mail before subscribing to make sure whatever carrier you're looking for provides them the info you're after, or just get the free trial and find out on your own.
Old Mar 23, 18, 2:58 am
Original Poster

It will show inventory.
Thank you, Tom. What is your experience with using Expert Flyer on a mobile phone? If I have to have a laptop or tablet, I may as well use the ITA Matrix.

While Expert Flyer has an Android app, it seems to be for Seat Alerts only.
Old Mar 23, 18, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Just to add that you can view timetables on EF, i.e. what's scheduled, regardless of current flight status
Old Mar 23, 18, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is your experience with using Expert Flyer on a mobile phone?
I have my flight segments stored, so just a matter of bringing up the segment and looking at it. You can also separately store flight status though I don't use that unless a flight has been cancelled and I want to know why. It will also show subsequent flights on the same route/airline, or you can modify the search for all carriers. You really need to get the free trial and see if it meets your needs or not. The higher priced plan will allow you to store routes.
Old Mar 23, 18, 12:26 pm

What did the Matrix App do that the website doesn't?
Old Mar 29, 18, 3:21 am
Original Poster

I have my flight segments stored, so just a matter of bringing up the segment and looking at it. You can also separately store flight status though I don't use that unless a flight has been cancelled and I want to know why. It will also show subsequent flights on the same route/airline, or you can modify the search for all carriers. You really need to get the free trial and see if it meets your needs or not. The higher priced plan will allow you to store routes.
That is nice, but I don't see how that relates to the situation I'm trying to solve?
Old Mar 29, 18, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aliquot View Post
What did the Matrix App do that the website doesn't?
The website is great for a desktop browser, but terrible to use on a mobile phone. That is the main issue here.

But since you asked:

The app allowed to bookmark specific itineraries, and then update all bookmarked itineraries, to see how prices had changed and if those itineraries were still available. I don't see that on the ITA Matrix website.

The app kept a longer search history.

You could use your location to suggest airports (which I never used).

Departure and arrival times settings were more flexible in the app.

In the app, you could enable/disable mutli-airline flights.

There were additional, smaller differences. The search window could be 5 weeks, and the search results were often different. I found itineraries with the app that the website did not deliver - unless you already knew exactly what you were looking for. I think the app had a somewhat longer timeout setting in the search algorithm. I scored some amazing deals or itineraries that way.
Old Apr 10, 18, 1:43 am

I always use Sky Scanner... simple to use, quick and as I found out cheapest.
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by liepanieka View Post
I always use Sky Scanner... simple to use, quick and as I found out cheapest.
Sky Scanner generally only shows flights which are bookable, right? That's not helpful when you're stranded at an airport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: