FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Orbitz booking fee - BEWARE!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1894334-orbitz-booking-fee-beware.html)

roadwar1 Feb 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Orbitz booking fee - BEWARE!!

Booked an Orbitz flight on Delta for Feb 2018. Two days later, I notice a credit card charge for $21.99. I'm thinking 'What is this $21.99 charge from Orbitz on my credit card' as opposed to the cost of the flight?
After looking very closely, I find a $21.99 booking fee listed on the receipt after I had booked. I don't recall seeing that broken out in the fees when I booked online. Possible I missed it, but was totally not expecting because just a month ago I booked another Delta flight and there was NO BOOKING FEE. So why the inconsistency?!

This is just a huge MONEY GRAB and the lack of transparency makes it feel deceptive. I called Orbitz to ask why the inconsistency and to request a one time waiver since I now see some flight may have booking fees. Really did not get a good explanation on when fees apply and when they don't. I also don't see the application of booking fees mentioned on their site unless it is just buried somewhere deep where no one will find it. The representative provided no relief whatsoever, which is just callous.

Naturally, I won't be booking with Orbitz. Why would anyone book with them when there are other travel sites who don't apply this charge or when you can book direct with the airline and not pay the fee. Don't make the same mistake I made!

pushmyredbutton Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Always book with the airline. Orbitz adds no value other than adding a level of complexity when things go wrong.

Sorry you got bitten by their fee.

paperwastage Feb 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by roadwar1 (Post 29425993)
Naturally, I won't be booking with Orbitz. Why would anyone book with them when there are other travel sites who don't apply this charge or when you can book direct with the airline and not pay the fee. Don't make the same mistake I made!

no, that's what happens if you don't comparison shop (and always shop at the same store)

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 29426009)
Always book with the airline. Orbitz adds no value other than adding a level of complexity when things go wrong.

Sorry you got bitten by their fee.

orbitz does offer value over some carriers (24/7 cancel online, while some foreign carriers require you to call in to do 24/7 cancel)

sbm12 Feb 17, 2018 4:36 am

I don't recall seeing that broken out in the fees when I booked online.

It would have been included in the "Taxes & Fees" portion of the displayed fare, not as a separate line item. Total price you paid to Orbitz + airline should be what the "big" number advertised to you on the site was.

Why would anyone book with them when there are other travel sites who don't apply this charge or when you can book direct with the airline and not pay the fee.

Depends on the booking.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 29426009)
Orbitz adds no value other than adding a level of complexity when things go wrong.

Depends on the booking. Multi-carrier or complex itineraries that the direct channels don't sell are some examples.

krazykanuck Feb 17, 2018 4:38 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29426875)
Depends on the booking. Multi-carrier or complex itineraries that the direct channels don't sell are some examples.

The only times I've ever found value booking with an OTA are with mistake fares. Any kind of simple trip there is almost never a reason to book anywhere but the airlines own website

Peregrine415 Feb 17, 2018 7:23 am

It would have been included in the "Taxes & Fees" portion of the displayed fare, not as a separate line item. Total price you paid to Orbitz + airline should be what the "big" number advertised to you on the site was.

Depends on the booking.

+1

s0ssos Feb 17, 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 29426878)
The only times I've ever found value booking with an OTA are with mistake fares. Any kind of simple trip there is almost never a reason to book anywhere but the airlines own website

To book for others when the airline requires credit-card verification (or even for yourself when it is annoying like Qatar)

Often1 Feb 17, 2018 11:52 am

If this was a standard DL domestic ticket at a published fare, there was less than no reason for OP to book on Orbitz. Simpler is always better unless there is some significant cost-saving or other issue.

Fees, IRROPS, and any number of other things are best dealt with when one has booked through the carrier.

This is not news and need not have been a new thread.

T2A Feb 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Sometimes you'll see two charges one for the rate that the third party broker paid the airline, hotel, etc. Then another charge for their commission. Doesn't really matter how it's charged as long as the total price is correct.

With airfare I almost always book direct, hotels 90% third party.

pinniped Feb 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Multi-carrier or complex itineraries that the direct channels don't sell are some examples.

I've had to do this a couple times over the years. No one airline can book a certain multi-carrier itin, but a travel agent can.

I've also had cases where I've needed a travel agent to book for me because the airline won't accept any of my U.S. credit cards. Even sizable carriers...EgyptAir, Jet Airways, etc...I've tried my entire wallet to no avail. While I'm never sure if it's the airline or all of my banks rejecting the charges, I end up with no alternative besides a TA booking.

Of course, I always look super-closely for any garbage fees when I do this...

sbm12 Feb 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 29431279)
Of course, I always look super-closely for any garbage fees when I do this...

Is it really a "garbage" fee when the company is willing to provide you a service that no other vendor seems capable of delivering?

roadwar1 Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Absolute garbage fee in this instance. Domestic round trip flight on one airline. Why the money grab? The commission with the airline wasn't enough for these greedy jerks? Should have looked closer obviously, but I won't make the same mistake twice. Just surprised, especially given the inconsistency I mentioned.

CPRich Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by roadwar1 (Post 29432086)
Should have looked closer obviously,

Yes, you should have.

It would be that line titled "Booking Fee" on the Trip Summary page. Below Flight and Taxes & Fees, right above "Total".

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...ice-Fee-01.png

pinniped Feb 19, 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29431790)
Is it really a "garbage" fee when the company is willing to provide you a service that no other vendor seems capable of delivering?

Yes. 100% without question.

Of course, I may still be forced to pay it if I want to travel. Or I look for another vendor who doesn't do crap like this. Can't guarantee I'll never pay it, just that threads like this remind me to be aware of it and look closely at all options before booking. (I'd *probably* notice it, since I always query the airline's website first would have an idea of what the flight should cost before I look elsewhere.)

Craig6z Feb 19, 2018 8:18 am

Originally Posted by roadwar1 (Post 29432086)
The commission with the airline wasn't enough for these greedy jerks? Should have looked closer obviously, but I won't make the same mistake twice. Just surprised, especially given the inconsistency I mentioned.

An airline might not pay any commissions at all, depending on how it was booked (Delta is known to try and discourage bookings off their own portal). Additionally, Orbitz will remit a GDS fee to do the booking (probably about $5, but can vary).