Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Vayama - Incompetent, negligent and very rude

Vayama - Incompetent, negligent and very rude

Old Jan 30, 18, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Vayama - Incompetent, negligent and very rude

We used Vayama for our trip to Mexico. Total incompetence and negligence and, if that was not enough, very rude.

They messed up my husband's name. They used my first name twice!

We wrote asking Vayama to correct my husband's name and got a standard answer going nowhere. So we wrote back and got exactly the same answer so, this time, I was not as nice.

We got an answer - Vayama does not make manual reservations so does not make errors... Basically, it was our fault - but if we sent our passports, they would get the tickets corrected.

We sent copies of our passports but received an answer that customer service does not take care of these changes. We had to write to a travix.com and, again send copies of the passports.

Did it work? No. They said the changes could not be made because the tickets were on Aero Mexico and the flights were operated by Delta! No excuse, nothing - and they did add that the tickets were not refundable. Basically, they did not care!

I wrote again asking them who I should contact to get the issue solved. Their answer? It was all my fault – I had given them the wrong name and had waited more than 24 hours to let them know of the issue!

The series of messages took over a week and we were within 5 days of our flight. So I called Delta, stayed on the phone for a very long time but Delta did get it straighten out. It may have helped that I am gold with them. They even apologize for Vayama’s attitude!

I will never again use Vayama and highly recommend no one does. Such poor customer service!

Vayama’s reference - KUSW-2757037
Old Jan 30, 18, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of the 2nd/3rd tier OTA’s are pretty bad. I booked through Tripsta last year, and even though the fare was refundable, fees and other stuff were rather concealed. Of course Expedia and the like is bad at times, too.
Old Jan 30, 18, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by SophieCH View Post
We got an answer - Vayama does not make manual reservations so does not make errors...
Unfortunately, I tend to agree with Vayama on this one. They issue tens of thousands of tickets annually so if "they" caused the problem with your name even though you entered it on their system, it wouldn't just affect you....it would affect tens of thousands since the same programming logic applies to all the tickets they issue.

Having said that I do have sympathy for the situation you are in.

Separately here are my general tips:
1)Always check your ticket within 24 hours for accuracy especially for the name.
2) When buying a ticket from an OTA (particularly Vayama, One Travel, CheapoAir etc), note that if your plans change (eg change in date, etc) note that you will be screwed.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:01 am
Original Poster

And it may have affected other people... They just did not take the time to write and share their experience. Believe me I know my husband's name! You are right though - I did not check within 24 hours.
What I find interesting is that Vayama did not want to do anything to help - it was not possible... but when I called Delta, within an hour the change was made!
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by SophieCH View Post
And it may have affected other people... They just did not take the time to write and share their experience. Believe me I know my husband's name! You are right though - I did not check within 24 hours.
What I find interesting is that Vayama did not want to do anything to help - it was not possible... but when I called Delta, within an hour the change was made!
I am sorry but every online travel agency and airline would charge you after the 24 hours buyers remorse period which is why I check all the emails and print out the purchase itinerary confirmation with all the names and to verify it. If I find a problem I would call the airline or online booking agency right away to void the itinerary and rebook it using the proper name. There may have been a slight increase on the ticket price but not to the point of the cost of having to pay the additional fees.

I believe there is a $50 name change fee the OP can pay to change the name on the ticket. Call Vayama and ask about this.
Old Feb 3, 18, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I got curious enough to do a "titles-only" search on this (Online Travel Booking & Bidding Agencies) forum. The result: FIFTY (yes, 50) threads with "Vayama" in the title; many/most seemed to be complaining about Vayama.
Old May 29, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Lots of issues with Vayama... steer clear:

Is Vayama worth the risk?

Never, ever use Vayama. Here's why.
Old Jun 2, 18, 11:36 am

We used Vayama for a multi-destination trip to Europe in 2016. We didn't have any trouble, but it seems we lucked out. Sorry you had to deal with this. What a nightmare!
Old Jun 2, 18, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is never a problem with the bottom-rung OTA's. Until there is a problem. It is then that the routine becomes complex, "impossible" to fix, and disruptive.
Old Jun 3, 18, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is never a problem with the bottom-rung OTA's. Until there is a problem. It is then that the routine becomes complex, "impossible" to fix, and disruptive.
I will never use them again after reading the threads on here.
Often1 and dnfinity like this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 4:11 pm

They are not particularly different from most other discount OTAs. Names on any reservation are exactly those you enter on the web site. They even have a confirmation area specifically for names down the order page.

The OP mistyped one of the names. It happens, more than you'd think. That part is not Vayama's fault. Granted, they could be more proactive in helping correct OPs mistake. But hysterical claims "I will never use Vayama again" are not credible. You will, as soon as you see them offering the same ticket for $20 less, as do thousands of other travelers.

And of course substantially all reviews of OTAs on the web are negative. Because only those who had a problem tend to have the time and desire to vent. If tickets were fine and trip went as planned - what incentive does one have to post a review of an intermediary that was used to buy a ticket?

Disclaimer: I don't have any connection to any OTA, and I use all of the discount OTAs opportunistically, when that makes most sense. I just keep my expectations appropriate and double-triple-check all the information before clicking "submit".
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
They are not particularly different from most other discount OTAs. Names on any reservation are exactly those you enter on the web site. They even have a confirmation area specifically for names down the order page.

The OP mistyped one of the names. It happens, more than you'd think. That part is not Vayama's fault. Granted, they could be more proactive in helping correct OPs mistake. But hysterical claims "I will never use Vayama again" are not credible. You will, as soon as you see them offering the same ticket for $20 less, as do thousands of other travelers.

And of course substantially all reviews of OTAs on the web are negative. Because only those who had a problem tend to have the time and desire to vent. If tickets were fine and trip went as planned - what incentive does one have to post a review of an intermediary that was used to buy a ticket?

Disclaimer: I don't have any connection to any OTA, and I use all of the discount OTAs opportunistically, when that makes most sense. I just keep my expectations appropriate and double-triple-check all the information before clicking "submit".
If a typo were the only issue - i'd agree with you. But there are numerous threads on FT re Vayama and not all are typos. Read through them before you call people hysterical. Vayama's CS leaves a lot to be desired. Over and over again. When it happens this frequently, it shows a pattern of poor CS - rather than an isolated incident. You can chance them if you want to "save" $20. Generally I've found, you get what you pay for.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 5:27 pm

What is the proportion of those threads to the total amount of tickets sold by Vayama?
How different is it from that of Travelocity/Expedia/Cheapoair etc?
How many of those issues are customers not paying attention to (restrictive) rules and later venting when they can not get what they want?

And how many of those 1st post venting customers will be back with a positive review of any other OTA?

Last edited by br2k; Jun 7, 18 at 5:40 pm
Old Jun 8, 18, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by br2k View Post

I used Fare Depot and had no issues. 99 percent of bad reviews is user error! Its best to triple check everything and confirm the airline's itinerary with ticket#s within the 24 hour grace period.
Old Jun 16, 18, 4:09 am

i've purchased fares from other 2nd/3rd tier OTAs before and i'll agree with the other poster above who basically said that there's no issues with them...until you get an issue, and then you're basically SOL. contacting customer service is hard enough, and when you do get in touch, you'll be expected to pay out of your nose for any further changes, regardless of whether it's your fault or theirs. just like mostly everything else online, it's easy to find negative reviews and hard to find positive reviews - if something goes wrong, people want to rant about it; if everything goes as it should have, there's no reason to say anything.

that being said, i think they're fine but just know what you're getting into when you get that awesome rate that's half as much as buying the ticket directly from the airline itself.

Search this Thread