Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kiwi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Kiwi

Any recent experiences or opinions on using this site?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:54 pm

An excellent site to search options - but would be hesitant to book through it.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:47 am

It is quite risky. It combines carriers that are not collaborating. It is ok if you are willing to take a low price for a high risk of not making it. They say that they cover all flight loses that might arise but this is not possible. Mathematically it would create good loses for KIWI.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm trying to book a one way flight from Papeete, French Polynesia via San Francisco to Las Vegas.

The 8 hour one way flight on United from Papeete to San Francisco is a surprisingly affordable $245. Then there's a $65 flight from SFO to Las Vegas two hours later on Alaska Airlines, that would make it $310 ($335 with Alaska bag fee), though that's a real tight international-domestic connection on separate tickets.

If I try to book a single ticket all the way from Papeete to Las Vegas, United quotes me $600 on United metal and all aggregators like Kayak, Momondo, etc. are showing $600+ and don't combine the United flight with that Alaska flight.

Enter Kiwi.com. It's showing $360 total for Papeete to San Francisco on United and then San Francisco to Las Vegas two hours later on Alaska.

Is there any chance that this booking on Kiwi.com will be a single ticket, such that United will interline the bag to its interline partner Alaska, and I can just clear customs, drop my bag on the re-check belt, and walk to the domestic gate to make the two hour connection?

Or if I book on Kiwi, will these be separate tickets, and I'll have to go to the check in desk in SFO to re-check the bag, pay the checked bag fee, maybe miss my connection, etc. The kiwi booking page just says I may have to re-check bags, which any connecting flight entering the USA has to do, it doesn't mention if it's separate itineraries. I'm guessing separate tickets since no other aggregator offers the route.

I could just buy the United and Alaska flights separately myself for less than the Kiwi cost. But then I wouldn't get the "Kiwi connection guarantee," whatever that's worth. Or I can buy a later flight on Alaska for $113 with a more makeable connection. Not entirely sure what to do.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Surely AS and UA do interline, and two hours probably is a legal international to domestic connection at SFO, so I would expect a good real live human travel agent to be able to put these segments together on a single ticket/PNR (for a ticketing fee, of course, of maybe about $50).
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Surely AS and UA do interline, and two hours probably is a legal international to domestic connection at SFO, so I would expect a good real live human travel agent to be able to put these segments together on a single ticket/PNR (for a ticketing fee, of course, of maybe about $50).
Thanks I didn't think of that. I haven't used a live travel agent in 15+ years. Why won't it come up on any online travel agent like kayak, expedia, etc.?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA
Read some reviews of Kiwi and the challenge of getting them to honor the guarantee.

UA will not interline the bag on a separate AS ticket. Here is a thread on UA separate ticket interline policy.

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel

UA will not interline the bag on a separate AS ticket.
Yes, I did realize that. I'm trying to figure out if booking through Kiwi means separate tickets. In which case I'd be paying $50 more just for the Kiwi guarantee, which may not be worth much.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, I did realize that. I'm trying to figure out if booking through Kiwi means separate tickets. In which case I'd be paying $50 more just for the Kiwi guarantee, which may not be worth much.
Don't take the risk; you won't be able to verify in advance how this will be ticketed. Go to a real live human travel agent if you want the UA-AS connection.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Kiwi is all about separate tickets which is why they have the guarantee. But the guarantee has so many restrictions and you have to have them do the rebooking — and to pay more for that? I would not use them.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Kiwi is all about separate tickets which is why they have the guarantee. But the guarantee has so many restrictions and you have to have them do the rebooking — and to pay more for that? I would not use them.

Thanks. Yes, I think I will avoid them.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Legend in my own mind

Stay away. My European vacation was totalled after I was left stranded for 2 days by the kiwi "guarantee" - these people are the worst in the travel business. They have thousands of bad reviews on Trip Advisor. Don't do it!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:19 am

Just to follow up the real travel agent route: does anyone have suggestions for using one in conjunctions with those Kiwi searches? I live in NY if that matters.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by tenant13
Just to follow up the real travel agent route: does anyone have suggestions for using one in conjunctions with those Kiwi searches? I live in NY if that matters.
You could give propellertravel.com a shout. I have not used them to book a ticket as yet, but a fair few people on Flyertalk have and do use them. If you find the fare on Kiwi et al they can match or possibly beat the fare and/or give a more suitable itinerary to you.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by tenant13
I'd be happy to help or connect you with another agent if we're not a good fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.