Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Orbitz advertised free breakfast, hotel says no - advice?

Old Dec 11, 17, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming stay at the St Gregory hotel in Washington DC. I booked it via Orbitz, and the hotel confirmed they have my reservation. However, they claim I don't have free breakfast included, even though my Orbitz confirmation clearly states so. I called Orbitz and they claim it must be a "computer glitch" and they are offering me to make a new reservation and cancel the current one, but that would cost me some 30% more than my original booking. I said no and will HUCA later when I have the time to deal with them.
In the meantime, anyone have experience with situations like this? What would be the best thing to do if both Orbitz and the hotel just keep saying no even though my confirmation clearly states that I have free breakfast? Just buy the breakfast at the hotel and then try to get Orbitz to pay for it - and threat with a chargeback from Discover?
Old Dec 11, 17, 10:03 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold
The same happened to me with Orbitz and they told me to pay the breakfast myself and send them the receipt so that they would refund me the cost.
klanfa likes this.
Old Dec 11, 17, 10:09 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Additionally, there's a decent chance that if you show the hotel check-in agent your confirmation that states that it includes a free breakfast they will just give it to you. It's not like it costs them that much, and is an easy way to keep a customer happy. If the front-desk agent pushes back, ask for a manager.

I also would not ask "if your room includes free breakfast". I would take the presumptive close and phrase it like, "I have breakfast included in my rate. Can you tell me what time and where breakfast is served?" Then it's up to the hotel to correct it if that's not the case.
Old Dec 11, 17, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Additionally, there's a decent chance that if you show the hotel check-in agent your confirmation that states that it includes a free breakfast they will just give it to you. It's not like it costs them that much, and is an easy way to keep a customer happy. If the front-desk agent pushes back, ask for a manager.

I also would not ask "if your room includes free breakfast". I would take the presumptive close and phrase it like, "I have breakfast included in my rate. Can you tell me what time and where breakfast is served?" Then it's up to the hotel to correct it if that's not the case.
I agree, I only asked that on the phone since I wanted to be sure beforehand and avoid a situation like that at check-in. The hotel in question doesn't serve a buffet breakfast from what I could find online; you go to the onsite restaurant and order from the menu. I'll just call Orbitz again later to have them agree to me paying for breakfast at the hotel if the hotel won't give in.
Old Dec 11, 17, 11:23 am

Getting a refund later from Orbitz would be next to impossible - they will most likely give you some $25 coupon to use at a future booking.

If breakfast is important to you, sort it out before cancellation period is over.
diburning likes this.
Old Dec 11, 17, 12:06 pm

Email the confirmation to the hotel and ask them to confirm breakfast.
Old Dec 11, 17, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Getting a refund later from Orbitz would be next to impossible - they will most likely give you some $25 coupon to use at a future booking.

If breakfast is important to you, sort it out before cancellation period is over.
Wouldn't chargeback be an option if Orbitz won't give in? It was advertised and I have a document (confirmation email) stating so.
@erik123 I called them in, they said they encountered issues with OTAs advertising breakfast when there was none, and the agent told me there was no free breakfast included for my booking.
Old Dec 11, 17, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by klanfa View Post
Wouldn't chargeback be an option if Orbitz won't give in? It was advertised and I have a document (confirmation email) stating so.
@erik123 I called them in, they said they encountered issues with OTAs advertising breakfast when there was none, and the agent told me there was no free breakfast included for my booking.
As far as the hotel is concerned, I have a suspicion that the hotel terms for the room type and rate take precedence in terms of your interaction with them. And without a clear way to itemize the breakfast benefit within the rate provided by Orbitz, you'll have a tough time seeking recourse from them (Orbitz). And you'd probably have to prove that the advertised benefit had to be honored per the contract you entered with Orbitz to seek any reimbursement in the first place, and that doesn't seem like it will be a fruitful task.

Is a free breakfast really that important? To me it seems not worth the time for such a small amount of money, I'd just buy breakfast during the stay.
Old Dec 11, 17, 4:01 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Nope, they actually refunded me. And it was pretty fast.
smc333 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 17, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
If I purchased a hotel stay via Orbitz (or other hotel booking site) which clearly said breakfast was included in the rate, I'd definitely call Orbitz first (or better yet, email so that you have a written record of the conversation) and press for my purchased rate as long as I had a screen shot confirming that I had purchased the breakfast rate for the room.

If all else fails, show the confirmation to the hotel when you check in. I agree with the previous poster that it might be worth more to the hotel to honor a free breakfast than experience that much customer ill will for a lack thereof.
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Just got off the phone with Orbitz, spoke to a much more helpful agent who reached out to the hotel and confirmed they really didn't have a record of free breakfast. Put me through to a supervisor who said I should just pay for breakfast at the hotel if they say no at check-in, and that they'd reimburse me. Gave me a reference number for the conversation, too, so I'm pretty confident they'll reimburse me if needed (backed up with tff's experience).
Why bother so much about breakfast? The property seems to do breakfasts at their onsite restaurants with orders from the breakfast menu instead of the typical buffet/continental breakfast. Those costs add up quickly for 2 and 3 nights so yeah..
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíve had this happen with bookings on OTAs. I take a screen shot when bookingthe room if it includes breakfast. If problems with the hotel, then I just show the screenshot. Itís always worked on the few times Iíve had problems.
klanfa and sonofzeus like this.
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:03 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Exactly, since hotels usually hate bookings thru OTA's at least they always ask me to book directly with them next time. If BK shows in your confirmation, sounds like you're getting BK included no matter. Don't let it screw up your stay, since you have the commitment from O to honor it. Maybe you could leverage it at the hotel for a nice UPG though....
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Since Orbitz is an OTA, we'll move this thread to the Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread