Wiki Posts
Search

The battle over booking portals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
The battle over booking portals

In the last year probably 8-12 months ago, I remember getting an email from IHG that said their new policy was to NOT AWARD stays or points for rooms that were not booked thru the corporate web portal.

Our company travel coordinator always uses the IHG site, so, no worries there.

I recently did 5 days a few months ago with Fairmont Hotels, and as I am a plat Amex holder, it is supposed to elevate my status level with Fairmont once I hit 5 days, but I never got credit for a key 3 night stay for some reason.

So I emailed them with a missing points credit request, and was told, uhhhh, geeeezzzz, you used Expedia to book, tough luck pal. No points or stays for you !!! After a few choice words along the lines of you got my $500 a night where are my points, I got my points credit processed, but still I was very annoyed.

I understand everything costs money, especially loyalty programs, but seriously, how does trying to force your customer to use your site benefit the company ?

Who else is doing this ? It seems to be strictly the hotel industry as far as I know.

Last edited by KDS777; Nov 2, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by KDS777
Who else is doing this ? It seems to be strictly the hotel industry as far as I know.
I think that every major chain is doing that these days. From recent experience, both Marriott and Hilton have refused to give points for stays booked via Expedia (in both cases).

I honestly couldn't care less. I don't earn enough points (I frequently - probably >60% in non-chain hotels. The remaining stays are split over several chains) in one hotel program to have any use for those points.

Expedia (and other booking platforms) are however often cheaper and are eligible for higher cashback.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

I understand everything costs money, especially loyalty programs, but seriously, how does trying to force your customer to use your site benefit the company ?

Hotels pay a commission on bookings made through travel agents (including OTAs). The company benefits by not paying a commission when you book direct.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

Hotels pay 15-25% commissions to OTA's - if you book directly, they save that commision. Cashback sites are also splitting that commission with their customers.

Who else is doing this - all hotel chains I can think of. You were very lucky that you got stay credit for your expedia booking. (btw it's spelled out in ther loyalty programs T&C and usually also in the FAQ)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
While I can certainly understand that there is a commission getting paid at various levels, that is not "my" problem as their customer. And that is the crux of my complaint as at times the room rates are similar from Expedia (for example) to the corporate site. If they were cheaper, and I was to directly benefit, I'd understand holding my back on my points.

Last edited by KDS777; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.