Priceline Airfare Tax Refund

Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Priceline Airfare Tax Refund

Anyone know how to get Priceline to refund an incorrect tax? I was charged the Mexico Tourism Tax (UK), but am transiting in less than 24 hours (by separate tickets), so I should be able to get it refunded.

Priceline customer service refused to even give a breakdown of taxes saying they are not required to do so, but when I broke it down for them, they relented and said yes they did collect the tax, but because I purchased the ticket I agreed to pay it even if it turns out to be incorrect. After I finally convinced them it was incorrect, they said to talk to the airline, but insisted there is no way to get it back since it is a non-refundable ticket. When I talked to the airline, they said to initiate a refund I have to go through Priceline. And around and around we go.

Other than not booking through Priceline, what's the best way to approach this? Credit card chargeback after I fly?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't think a refund is warranted until you have actual proof (eg boarding pass) that you indeed did not stay in Mexico more than 24 hours.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up, after I flew the flights, I called both Priceline and LAN (the airline) and they both pointed their fingers to each other as the responsible party and that they would not refund any improperly collected taxes. LAN even said they have never heard of refunding taxes even if I bought directly through them. I appealed to my credit card, and they refused to get involved because the original charge was from too long ago (more than 6 months) even though the flights were recent.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Are you sure it is worth all the hassle to get a refund of USD 20?

You checked this website?

How to request Mexico Tourism Tax refunds for airline flights by citizens and residents ? The Yucatan Times
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Yup, that's why I figured I was entitled to the refund. And you're right, it's not worth the effort, although the principle that they refuse to refund it irks me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.