Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Do any travel sites let you split a booking across two credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase UR, United MP, Amex MR, AAdvantage

Are there any travel booking sites (or other methods) which let you split the cost of an airline booking across two credit cards? I have looked extensively, and the only one that I have found is CheapOAir.com, which is better than nothing, but seems to have a terrible reputation in terms of unexpectedly cancelling bookings, charging an obscene amount for changes, and generally providing poor customer service.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or have an alternative means of splitting a fare across two credit cards?

(The reason I want to do this is that if you put part of an airfare on a Citi Prestige card, you get better coverage than any other card seemingly has to offer, including reimbursement for costs if a flight is delayed more than three hours. But I'd rather put the bulk of the charge on a card where I can earn Chase points; and if I do, I potentially get the full range of travel protection coverage offered by both.)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:43 pm

an idea might be using gift cards

(but buying those gift cards won't be coded as travel.... maybe at a grocery store/office store with some bonus, or if GCs are sold directly online by the OTA?)

(and you dont get travel protection on the second credit card using this method)

bookit.com split payment?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase UR, United MP, Amex MR, AAdvantage
Yep, I checkout out Bookit.com, but it doesn't look to me like it's possible to do the split payment, at least for an airfare-only purchase.

You can on Expedia, apparently, but only if it's a package, not if it's airfare-only. Weird.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Any real (not online) travel agent should be able to do this for you.

But I'm not sure the premise of your question is accurate. I'm not familiar with the cards you mentioned, but many cards require the entire purchase to be charged with the card in order to get the benefits, so check on this carefully in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ivan X
Are there any travel booking sites (or other methods) which let you split the cost of an airline booking across two credit cards? I have looked extensively, and the only one that I have found is CheapOAir.com, which is better than nothing, but seems to have a terrible reputation in terms of unexpectedly cancelling bookings, charging an obscene amount for changes, and generally providing poor customer service.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or have an alternative means of splitting a fare across two credit cards?

(The reason I want to do this is that if you put part of an airfare on a Citi Prestige card, you get better coverage than any other card seemingly has to offer, including reimbursement for costs if a flight is delayed more than three hours. But I'd rather put the bulk of the charge on a card where I can earn Chase points; and if I do, I potentially get the full range of travel protection coverage offered by both.)
You might be better off booking with a Travel Agent like AAA the only problem is the full ticket has to be purchased on the credit card with the insurance. I never heard a partial payment work for such a transaction.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Isn't the whole purpose of the insurance that it's a perk for charging the entire ticket? If not, many here would love to know the card?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Isn't the whole purpose of the insurance that it's a perk for charging the entire ticket? If not, many here would love to know the card?
+1 Exactly Often1 that the case as stated in the Terms and Conditions and benefits of your credit card"The full amount of the common carrier ticket must be paid with the credit card and the credit card must be open and valid throughout the duration from the time of purchase until the culmination of the trip".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.