Search

Travel Agency Startup Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Travel Agency Startup Advice

Hi all,

Appreciate this is a very select userbase even on FT, but wondered if I could get some advice from anyone who has experience in Travel Agency businesses.

I am looking at starting a travel agency (not looking for advice on whether I should or shouldn't as this is a venture by the company I work for, not me personally).

I specifically have an IT background, so looking for advice there but also with the general commercial side of the business.
e.g.
  • What's the best route to market? Would you suggest starting from scratch or using a TA alliance such as Advantage or Uniglobe?
  • IT wise, what systems would you recommend? Specifically GDS- Sabre, Amadeus or Galileo?
  • Any other tips/recommendations you can give?

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. I have limited experience in this field. I expect we would start with hotels and then look to do air at a slightly later stage, as I know how complex it can be. I am UK based so any specific UK advice is also much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:44 am

Your business plan doesn't address your questions, so you come here to ask your soon-to-be competition for theirs and their trade secrets. Good luck with that.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hcuk94
I am looking at starting a travel agency (not looking for advice on whether I should or shouldn't as this is a venture by the company I work for, not me personally).

I specifically have an IT background
hmm? many travel agents on FT do 'luxury' hotels/packages/cruises.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:18 am
Suspended

If you are goimg to start the travel agency, first you need to make your website and make it live with the help of web hosting provider.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
As a word of caution, it's a very saturated industry in which its rapidly becoming harder to become established. I wanted to do something similar a few years back but stopped.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Thanks all, appreciate the help. Will be an interesting ride either way I think!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.