Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

OTA booked me on a throw-away ticket!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OTA booked me on a throw-away ticket!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
It is not fraudulent. You paid for a 1-way ticket and got a round-trip ticket. You were given more than you paid for by the vendor, essentially. It's like if I order a book and they send me the book and another book with it for free. That is not fraud.
It might not be fraud, but the OTA violated both the Airlines ticketing rules and failed to book accordingly to the OP's demands. If I want an OW Ticket, I want an OW Ticket. The end.

When you go to your Chevy dealership and sign the contract for a Malibu, but get a Silverado, you would be mad too despite getting "more". You wanted a bloody sedan, not a truck.

Not honoring the terms of a contract is a big no-no in my book. I would chargeback the money for that exact reason.

(This might seem silly to some. But other people don't want to risk to get into trouble eventually. Why should he risk it, if he specifically booked the flight as a OW ticket and the OTA adds something, he explicitly didn't want in the first place)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG gold, Marriott Plat, *A Gold
This is interesting...
Reply from the OTA's customer service when I sent them an email concerning my throw-away ticket:
"we would like to inform you that <OTA name deleted> is committed to offering our customers the lowest possible prices, with some flights and certain routes this is achieved by booking a return journey. The return sector is not valid for use, as you selected a one-way option and it will be automatically cancelled once your outbound flight has been used."

So they will actually cancel my inbound segment!!!

Here is BTW Air Canada's (the carrier I was ticketed on) policy concerning throw-away ticketing:
"Air Canada specifically prohibits the practice commonly known as throwaway ticketing and itis strictly forbidden per IATA Ticketing Handbook Resolution 830A.
These are tickets sold as round-trip excursion fares to be used for oneway travel or the purchase of a ticket from a point other than the customers actual originating city or to a point beyond the customer’s actual destination.
This practice of selling a ticket with a fictitious point of origin or destination in order toundercut the applicable fare is contrary to the Industry Resolutions and applicable tariffs and fares, even if the passenger asks for such a ticket.
It can result in:
ƒ The passenger being stopped by the airline and being required to pay
the additional fare and/or
ƒ The issuing Travel Agency be debited by Air Canada for the applicable
fare difference and/or
ƒ The Travel Agency loosing their agency appointment."

So I might have a case against the OTA.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:26 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
You wanted a Y fare? My guess is that you wanted your employer to pay for your full-fare ticket for a few miles for yourself. Hope the boss catches on.

I worked for someone like this once who purposely booked significantly higher fare classes and stuck it to her company for the tab. Is that really not the bigger problem/ethics issue here?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG gold, Marriott Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by LGA
You wanted a Y fare? My guess is that you wanted your employer to pay for your full-fare ticket for a few miles for yourself. Hope the boss catches on.

I worked for someone like this once who purposely booked significantly higher fare classes and stuck it to her company for the tab. Is that really not the bigger problem/ethics issue here?
Why do you assume it's for a business trip?
ONE-way TATL tickets are usually booked in Y fares.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:29 pm
B1

OP - Call the airline the day after your booked return flight and say you were unavoidably detained and ask if they can rebook for no charge. See what they tell you. Then you can see how concerned they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.