Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

CheapOair.com refused to give me refund after canceling my tickets

Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

There were two major errors regarding my flight booking, for which CheapOair must be held responsible.

Firstly, there was very misleading information on CheapOair’s website, which forced me to have to change my flight after purchase. During my booking process, the first flight segment prominently displayed the flight number and airline logo of Air Canada (the “Maple Leaf” logo). According to Canadian regulations [1], flying with select airlines such as Air Canada would exempt me from having to apply for a Canada “transit” visa.

However, after I completed the booking process (including payment), I was very surprised to find out that the flight in question was not Air Canada, but was instead operated by United Express. Flying with United Express would NOT exempt me from the requirement to apply for a Canada “transit” visa..As a result, I was forced to change my flight after purchase. This is the first error for which CheapOair is responsible.

Secondly, my decision to cancel the ticket in question was entirely based on the (false) promise of CheapOair agents, who assured me that I would get a full refund (less some service fee). I had the confirmation emails they sent me with such a promise. Note that only after receiving their promise of a full refund, did I agree to let CheapOair agents cancel my tickets. Before the agents cancelled my tickets, I was not told that I cannot get a refund at all. See the problem here? Should they tell me that I cannot get a refund at first, I would NEVER choose to cancel this ticket. Now I am out BOTH the ticket and my money (i.e. the ticket is cancelled by CheapOair, and I receive no refund). This is NOT acceptable! It is the second error for which CheapOair is responsible.

To sum up, both the reason I was forced to change my ticket and the reason I decided to cancel my tickets were due to CheapOair’s errors, for which they must be held responsible. I demand that CheapOair issue me the full refund as promised in their confirmation emails.

[1] http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...ligibility.asp
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Regarding the issue of carrier, it does say clearly on the website when you look at a flight listing "Operated by United Express," before you booked the flight. Not sure that Cheapoair is responsible for the fact that you missed this.

Regarding the refund, if you have proof they said that you could cancel your tickets and get a full refund (less some service fee), and they refuse to abide by that promise, then do a credit card chargeback.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Hi, i feel bad to here your story, cause i had experienced similar issue with CheapOair. When i was booking, it clearly said beside the "Booking" button that Its fully refundable within 30mins after booking(or some time i can't remember).
After I found that I booked on the wrong date, definitely within 10 mins of booking, I called them, they said their tickets are all non refundable........
Finally, I emailed to them with complain and they refund the ticket with some charge. You could try to email them. Cause the call centre are useless.

Another thing is that, they may even not issue the ticket when you ask for refund. Sometimes, they sell you tickets, get your money, and issue a "confirmation code" first, when the airlines open cheaper tickets for sale, they will but those cheaper ticket for you and then issue it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by takuliu
Hi, i feel bad to here your story, cause i had experienced similar issue with CheapOair. When i was booking, it clearly said beside the "Booking" button that Its fully refundable within 30mins after booking(or some time i can't remember).
After I found that I booked on the wrong date, definitely within 10 mins of booking, I called them, they said their tickets are all non refundable........
Finally, I emailed to them with complain and they refund the ticket with some charge. You could try to email them. Cause the call centre are useless.

Another thing is that, they may even not issue the ticket when you ask for refund. Sometimes, they sell you tickets, get your money, and issue a "confirmation code" first, when the airlines open cheaper tickets for sale, they will but those cheaper ticket for you and then issue it.
Considering that cheapo air, being a travel agency, can void an air ticket until end of next business day (and thus no actual enforcement of non-refundable requirement from airline), this is just a deliberate customer unfriendly policy.

I suggest sticking with Expedia/Orbitz/Priceline as they will let you cancel (even non-refundable tickets) by end of next business day.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. I think I can dispute the charge with bank.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:23 pm

I had a terrible experience with Cheapoair canceling one of my tickets without asking me because they thought I had made a mistake. I hadn't, and when I called back to have the ticket reinstated, the price had gone up and they wanted me to pay the difference.

I will NEVER use Cheapoair again. I would encourage you to also avoid them at ALL costs.
Spiff and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:31 pm
yux

I used Cheapoair for more than 10 years and got a bad experience recently. I booked a multi-stop ticket to China. About one hour later, I found I had a schedule conflict and would like to change my departing date. The easiest way to do that was to cancel the old one and booked a new one. I called Cheapoair, and the guy told me we would charge you $75 if you would cancel it. If we could change the schedule for you, there was no cancellation fee. I provided him the new date, flight numbers I found on their web. I stayed on the phone for more than an hour, and finally the guy said it was done. He told me the price for the new ticket, and it was almost $300 more than that I found on their web. I decided not to let him to change the tickets for me and cancel it anyhow. I paid the cancellation fee. It is already three weeks and I have not got refund for the transaction fee of purchasing the ticket yet. Very bad service.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:42 pm

look at these low postcount people.... but then again, people don't post unless they have something to complain about

here's my thoughts
Originally Posted by yux
I used Cheapoair for more than 10 years and got a bad experience recently. I booked a multi-stop ticket to China. About one hour later, I found I had a schedule conflict and would like to change my departing date. The easiest way to do that was to cancel the old one and booked a new one. I called Cheapoair, and the guy told me we would charge you $75 if you would cancel it. If we could change the schedule for you, there was no cancellation fee.
normal/typical procedure...

next time, know your schedule before you book, or (if available) use those paid "fare lock/guarantee" options that some airlines have, or (if booking from USA more than 1 week away) book on an airline and use the 24hr cancellation waiver

I provided him the new date, flight numbers I found on their web. I stayed on the phone for more than an hour, and finally the guy said it was done. He told me the price for the new ticket, and it was almost $300 more than that I found on their web.
again, normal/typical procedure... new flights have higher price, you have to top up

there may be change fees (charged by airline) in his quote, that's why it doesn't match. who knows?

I decided not to let him to change the tickets for me and cancel it anyhow. I paid the cancellation fee. It is already three weeks and I have not got refund for the transaction fee of purchasing the ticket yet. Very bad service.
again, normal....

refunds take time. even when buying directly from an airline. 4-6weeks isn't abnormal

(from google, china southern takes 12 weeks. you should chase the refund)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 7, 2017 at 6:50 pm
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:50 pm
yux

Are you from Cheapoair?

I paid for my mistake. I costed me at least $50 for my mistake, maybe $105. Cheapoair got a bad reputation for refunding transaction fee in their pocket already. You can search the complains on web. Right after this bad experience, I used Expedia to book my flights instead. I made another mistake. I canceled it and no charge, then I booked my flights I wanted. I am very happy with Expedia. No more Cheapoair for me.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
look at these low postcount people.... but then again, people don't post unless they have something to complain about

here's my thoughts

normal/typical procedure...

next time, know your schedule before you book, or (if available) use those paid "fare lock/guarantee" options that some airlines have, or (if booking from USA more than 1 week away) book on an airline and use the 24hr cancellation waiver

again, normal/typical procedure... new flights have higher price, you have to top up

there may be change fees (charged by airline) in his quote, that's why it doesn't match. who knows?

again, normal....

refunds take time. even when buying directly from an airline. 4-6weeks isn't abnormal

(from google, china southern takes 12 weeks. you should chase the refund)
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Now the question with OneTravel (I think this is related since it's owned by CheapOair)

If my dates and flights are concrete with no possibility of changing, is it safe to book with them? ie Tickets don't get cancelled so I don't get stranded, etc.

I understand it's a huge hassle with a lot of fees changing dates and/or cancelling, which seem to be almost 100% of the complaints I've heard.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
Now the question with OneTravel (I think this is related since it's owned by CheapOair)

If my dates and flights are concrete with no possibility of changing, is it safe to book with them? ie Tickets don't get cancelled so I don't get stranded, etc.

I understand it's a huge hassle with a lot of fees changing dates and/or cancelling, which seem to be almost 100% of the complaints I've heard.
there have been cases where OTA drops the ball (they didn't ticket, or pulled ticket from airline carrier last minute, leaving you stranded at the counter)

or when OTA books you with throw-away ticket or non-protected connections

and some cases where you go back-and-forth between airline and OTA during IRROPs, and you cannot contact OTA because they dont' have enough 24/7 phone support

<these cases above probably won't happen when buying thru airlines, though it may happen if you have multiple airlines within a ticket and each airline refuses to take the ball>

and some cases where you don't FF credit because it's a bulk ticket (or do get better FF credit on United because it's a bulk ticket)

your choice to take these (minuscule?) risk. these risks vary from OTA to OTA. mitigate it with (credit card) insurance, or be prepared to roll with it and treat it as more days away from work
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This is good to know. I prefer booking with airlines but in some instances booking with OTAs are necessary, looks like I'd stick with Expedia and Vayama.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:24 pm

Cheapoair canceled my flight and they don't want to make 100% refunds for me

Hi All,

Me too I have problem with Cheapoair. First time I deal with them and I am very disappointed.
I have purchased tickets from cheapoair via phone for my family. I payed more than $2700 for the tickets plus insurance. A total was more than $2900.
I have escale on this flight, and last week they called me staying that my return flight is cancelled because the escale time is not enough.
They proposed for me to changes the return flight, but what they proposed don't work for me specially traveling with kids.
I have asked for refund and they told me that I can get only $2300, which means I will lose more than $600.
This was totally their fault. They want to take my money which I classify stolling it because it was 100% Cheapoair fault.
Please any recommendations how can I proceed on this situation. What the law says about that.
Thank you.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:39 pm

Customer for over 12 years. Not any more.

Unfortunately, I just experienced the rudest customer service rep in India. Crass, rude, and actually hung up on me.
I then tried the live chat, and was serviced by a chat bot. An actual bot was answering my questions......nice.
Happily going to one of their many competitors now.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:31 pm

Cheapoair refused to refund if I cancel my tickets

I booked my wife and sons ticket with Cheapoair and I also made a.travel insurance which said FREE CANCELLATION.
I wasn't sure about the travel dates so I booked with confidence as it said FREE CANCELLATION and I paid over $100 insurance fees.
Now they don't want to refund me and the agent said they can refund the insurance fees that will be posted in my account in 7-14 business days.
I've been booking with them for.years and been a.loyal customer. Never expected this. I'm going to make.an official complaint with Concerned authorities at consumer protection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.