Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Gotogate - how did they get it so cheap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

I always obey the golden rule and book directly with the airline, but Gotogate OTA had some unbelievable mid-August fares on flights that I specifically wanted from the UK to US for a family of 4. Going directly via the airline's website could get nowhere near the Gotogate price.

Base fare was less than 50 GBP (for August!!) and YQ and YR where intact. Flights have been paid for and ticketed.

When I look on Delta's website the flights have been paid for by a MasterCard in SEK currency (I paid Gotogate by Visa), and guess what Gotogate is based in Sweden, even though they have a '.co.uk' web address, as I found out by checking the travel agent address on checkmytrip.

We're ticketed so not worried, but interested to know if something if this is all truly above board, as it seems a little fishy to me, especially all the currency/OTA location stuff.

Last edited by Oil-man; Jan 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

They are not well regarded on Tripadvisor forums. There's a 38 page discussion that does not paint them in a positive light at all.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Can the OP please let us know how this turned out? Thanks!!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oil-man
I always obey the golden rule and book directly with the airline, but Gotogate OTA had some unbelievable mid-August fares on flights that I specifically wanted from the UK to US for a family of 4. Going directly via the airline's website could get nowhere near the Gotogate price.

Base fare was less than 50 GBP (for August!!) and YQ and YR where intact. Flights have been paid for and ticketed.

When I look on Delta's website the flights have been paid for by a MasterCard in SEK currency (I paid Gotogate by Visa), and guess what Gotogate is based in Sweden, even though they have a '.co.uk' web address, as I found out by checking the travel agent address on checkmytrip.

We're ticketed so not worried, but interested to know if something if this is all truly above board, as it seems a little fishy to me, especially all the currency/OTA location stuff.
If you can see the itinerary and receipt on delta.dumb, what are the fare classes? [If the SEK credit card doesn't look like a credit card for the travel agency, I would worry that you've bought award tickets from a broker.]
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Booked a flight VAR-SOF-BCN through go to gate about 6 months ago to fly tomorrow (9/2) on Bulgarian Air. Went to online check-in and could only see VAR-SOF. Called Bulgarian Air and they stated that the SOF-BCN flight was cancelled on 7 Jan and as it was booked through gotogate, it was their responsibility to inform me. Im sure I never received such an email.

Anyway, while searching for options and contemplating what to ask for from gotogate, I got a return phonecall from Bulgarian air, who as a gesture of goodwill, rebooked us on SOF-MUC-BCN tomorrow on Lufthansa.

Thank you Bulgarian Air, now im worried about future bookings on gotogate as I have several over the next 11 months.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I’ve used them several times in the past with no issues.

The only caveat is that they're the travel agency which means that any changes you need to make to the ticket afterwards will have to go through them and not the airline - which could come at an extra fee.
f you are fairly certain you won’t need it, it’s worth the lower cost of booking with them.

I've had no problem over 4 or 5 trips I've taken with them - most of which were fairly long distance trips (CPH-SFO, CPH-SIN, CPH-BKK, CPH-NRT, etc)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:35 am

We have the most horrific experience with Gotogate. No customer service, boss denies to come to phone. Computer glitch and they want $ 800 to change a ticket. No reply, phoning for hours and nobody at office. I think its a scam, they hope we will go away and they pocket the money. Please put this company on your watch list.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by soulscapes
We have the most horrific experience with Gotogate. No customer service, boss denies to come to phone. Computer glitch and they want $ 800 to change a ticket. No reply, phoning for hours and nobody at office. I think its a scam, they hope we will go away and they pocket the money. Please put this company on your watch list.
It would be interesting to know more about your experience. Did you read their terms and conditions and are they trying to charge something outside of their terms?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Can the OP please let us know how this turned out? Thanks!!
3.5 years later, but all was smooth - no issues. I seem to remember they even refunded the APD for my children tickets without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.