Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Specialty "business class" flight sellers - scam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg

I usually buy direct from airlines. But I see ads for discounted Biz tix, so I tried visiting a couple of sites. They all seem to want me to give them my details and then they'll contact me with a quote; I can't search for one myself.
So I now heard back from one - skyluxtravel - who won't even email me the price, wants to talk to me on the phone (?). Last thing I want is to be dealing with a pushy salesman on the phone who is too cagey to tell me the actual $$$!

What is the deal with these sites? I've heard rumours that they are selling non-legit flights (ie bought with someone else's FF miles, etc).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Most of them are selling tix bought with FF miles they sold.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:34 pm

The ethnic travel agents in Canada's major cities usually have some decent deals which they're not really interested in quoting over the phone. Why? Because they either have an agreement with the airline not to advertise them (so as to undercut the public full-fare business class offering), or they simply don't want to quote $xx for a specific date, only to have that fare be completely unavailable on a different date and get a bad reputation.

Another thing we see a lot in Canada is carriers like Philippines/Pakistan IA, etc. not having good visibility in the GDS', often on account of only flying infrequently or not being part of the big marketing alliances (ie: "Star Alliance"). The ethnic travel agents hence are a significant part of the marketing force for those services, and yes, some pretty good business class deals can be had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.