Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Has anyone overpaid Orbitz $1,223 per night for a one star hotel in Myrtle Beach?

Has anyone overpaid Orbitz $1,223 per night for a one star hotel in Myrtle Beach?

Old Jul 26, 15, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

If you use Orbitz to book the one star Polynesian Beach Resort at 1001 South Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina arriving on Thursday, August 27, 2015 for one night, Orbitz charges $1,265. Accordingly, booking this reservation through Orbitz is 30 times more expensive. According to Orbitz, if you then use the Orbitz Best Price Guarantee, as other websites offer this property for only $42 you should be entitled to the price difference of $1,223 in Orbucks because Orbitz charges $1,223 more per day for this property when compared to other booking websites. For example, hotels.com and booking.com lists this property as a 2 star but at $42 per night. There is also a $10.92 resort fee not included. I have attached screenshots so you can see what I was quoted.

Due to the Orbitz overcharge, if I understand the program correctly, you also earn a bonus of 50 Orbucks due to the Orbitz best price guarantee but you must first sign up the Orbitz loyalty program so they can refund their overcharge. You would get an overcharge bonus of 100 Orbucks if you ever reach their Gold or Platinum Orbitz elite levels.

I added a price comparison from trivago.com and attached a screenshot. It pays to compare prices using trivago.com. Maybe trivago should do real time postings of the top 100 largest price range differences between the hotel booking systems.

I have two questions. Is an Orbitz $1,223 best price guarantee a new record overcharge for a one day stay at a one star property? Has anyone else overpaid more than $1,223 for a room and then successfully received their refund in Orbucks?

Last edited by ceieoc; Jul 26, 15 at 8:41 pm
Old Jul 26, 15, 8:41 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) | Hyatt Globalist | HHonors Diamond
What are Orbucks worth? If I'm reading the T&C's correctly, this should earn you about $1200 worth of "orbucks", is that correct? As with other BRG's I assume you also pay the lower price than just having "money" made available to you as Orbucks (in which case this acts only as means to txfer $$ to Orbucks).

Can these be used towards future airline/hotel/rental car bookings via Orbitz or are they quarantined to future hotel bookings only?

Last edited by SQ421; Jul 26, 15 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 26, 15, 9:01 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Only if you want to turn a lot of cash into a lot of Orbucks for the sake of making $50 - the reservation doesn't get adjusted to the lower price, you just get a refund in Orbucks for the difference.

"If You have made a valid Best Price Guarantee claim for a hotel booking where the lower hotel rate is found on Orbitz.com, Orbitz will cancel Your original hotel reservation and rebook Your reservation at the lower rate; you will not receive Orbucks for the price difference, only the Orbucks bonus. For all other valid Best Price Guarantee claims, you will receive Orbucks for the price difference plus the bonus Orbucks, which will both be deposited into your Orbitz Rewards account after completion of your hotel stay, car rental, or flight."
Old Jul 27, 15, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by tonei View Post
Only if you want to turn a lot of cash into a lot of Orbucks for the sake of making $50 - the reservation doesn't get adjusted to the lower price, you just get a refund in Orbucks for the difference.

"If You have made a valid Best Price Guarantee claim for a hotel booking where the lower hotel rate is found on Orbitz.com, Orbitz will cancel Your original hotel reservation and rebook Your reservation at the lower rate; you will not receive Orbucks for the price difference, only the Orbucks bonus. For all other valid Best Price Guarantee claims, you will receive Orbucks for the price difference plus the bonus Orbucks, which will both be deposited into your Orbitz Rewards account after completion of your hotel stay, car rental, or flight."

THIS
Old Jul 27, 15, 6:52 am
B1

Expeida, Orbitz, Hilton

The similar best price guarantee with Expedia gives you a $50 credit after you complete the stay and pay the lowered price. Then the $50 credit is only valid for one year and only at a hotel that has an Expedia Special Rate. And in my case they "forgot" to do it. So, the deal with Orbitz is similarly not worth the trouble. However, Hilton's price guarantee gives you the lower price, a prompt response, and an Amex gift card for the amount.
Old Jul 27, 15, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
There are so many ways that Orbitz could scr*w you around on this that I'd say there's no way it's worth risking so much money for so little reward.
Old Aug 9, 15, 5:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Chase UR, Orbitz Rewards Gold
I wouldn't risk it, if you haven't already booked. One caveat to the Orbitz best price guarantee that I found out the hard way was it cannot be a prepaid booking. It must be a pay when you stay booking.

So if you were to book a room at 1200 per night where you are charged at booking, you would not get anything for it. Even if not, with a difference this huge there has gotta be a way Orbitz would weasel out of it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: