Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline Car Rental - $200+ off any other method

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I've looked at Costco Travel, Chase UR, etc. and Priceline Negotiator bidding is significantly cheaper. Am I missing something with fees here?

I decided to bump up the type of car I wanted (to make sure I get a decent SUV I went up to standard SUV), and the price was still $200+ anywhere I saw for the lower level SUVs, usually considered mid range (Escape, Liberty, etc.)

I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here. I plan on picking this car up in Salt Lake City Airport. Is Priceline pulling the prices for non-airport terminal rental places? Because it's claiming the pickup location is the airport.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
No, you're not missing anything, Priceline can sometimes be a lot cheaper.

Make sure to screenshot the page that lists on airport location.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

They wouldn't send me to Fox and Advantage would they? Based on the logos they show they wouldn't. know Advantage and Fox are in SLC but do not want to rent from them.

I know this is kinda the point of Priceline Negotiator, I've just never ever seen such a cheap deal that is so far below the norm on all the other sites I check.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by nonstopski
They wouldn't send me to Fox and Advantage would they? Based on the logos they show they wouldn't. know Advantage and Fox are in SLC but do not want to rent from them.

I know this is kinda the point of Priceline Negotiator, I've just never ever seen such a cheap deal that is so far below the norm on all the other sites I check.
Check the fine print re: Fox/Advantage.

I've gotten much cheaper deals a couple of times at LAX on busy weekends/late booking when the regular channels are much more expensive. It's usually tuned out to be Avis.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:36 am
B1

Originally Posted by nonstopski

I've had similar results - Priceline makes deals with the major companies and lists who they are - really. The disadvantage is that some allow a second driver with no charge and some ask for a daily extra amount, if that is an issue. When you pay for the car they tell you what company it is.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Do watch out for the "up-sell" at the desk though. It can be really aggressive, offering bigger, fancier, etc. Just keep saying "no". And tell them you'll bring it back full of gas so they don't sell that to you.

The up-sell isn't confined to Priceline deals, but the good deal does give them lots of opportunity for finding a weak point in your sales resistance armor.

Romelle
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm confused. If you haven't yet successfully bid for a car, how do you know that the price is so much cheaper? You can look at "Recent Winning Bids" for SLC, but those might be for different dates than yours.

In any case, PL for rental cars can be a big savings. The main downside IMO isn't so much the unknown company, but the non-changeability. For example, I've had flight irrops that would have had me considering flying to an alternate airport, but couldn't because the car was prepaid at my destination.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:06 pm
Suspended

I've just got a compact car for 8 days in Maui all in for $268 all in, in mid March. ($108 of this was taxes and fees, the bid was $20 a day).

Supplier was National. My best cancelable rate via an exhaustive search had been $340. I find that level of savings to be typical.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by swag
I'm confused. If you haven't yet successfully bid for a car, how do you know that the price is so much cheaper? You can look at "Recent Winning Bids" for SLC, but those might be for different dates than yours.

In any case, PL for rental cars can be a big savings. The main downside IMO isn't so much the unknown company, but the non-changeability. For example, I've had flight irrops that would have had me considering flying to an alternate airport, but couldn't because the car was prepaid at my destination.
PL will offer deals without bidding, but without revealing the company.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:52 pm

I think the OP is talking about Priceline rental car "booking" and not about "bidding"......................................... .................................................. ........ Could be Cool Wolf's operation? If so I would like to learn about that.

Last edited by rmiller774; Mar 3, 2015 at 7:14 pm Reason: needed work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.