Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia Booking Fee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Expedia Booking Fee

I booked an itinerary from SJC-LAX going down on Alaska and back on Delta. Expedia has tacked on a $7.00 fee to use 2 airlines for a flight. The total cost of the tickets is $157 but as I used 2 airlines Expedia thinks its cool to add on a$7 fee. Delta and Alaska are partners its not like they are doing anything special by combining two airlines. Isn't this extortion?

You get one ticket# for both flights as the flight is on Alaska Ticket Stock. I picked the Delta return for a later flight and better price that other airlines.

I'm not ranting about the $7 just that I think its a sneaky way to add the fee after reading an article that this is what Expedia does. Nowhere on the booking site does it say We're going to charge you a $7 booking fee for multiple airlines. Their advertisement is No Booking Fees.

While I did save a considerable amount of money going through Expedia if I did this on Orbitz would I be charged the same fee? What gives? If I booked a family of 3 that would be $21 dollars.

I'd like to hear your comment on it.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Their advertisement is no cancellation fees, I can't see anywhere they advertise no booking fees?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:39 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Did it not show the booking fee before you paid? It has always shown it for me... one reason I do not use them... it shows like this for me:

Flight$742.32
Taxes & Fees $81.38

Expedia Booking Fee $7.00.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $830.70
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Honestly I think you have an ironclad lawsuit here. You could be the first of a class!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Did it not show the booking fee before you paid? It has always shown it for me... one reason I do not use them... it shows like this for me:

Flight$742.32
Taxes & Fees $81.38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yest it shows a booking fee however since you are booking with a Codeshare(Delta/Alaska) the fee should be waived. Now I could see if Expedia wanted to charge a booking fee for flying Lufthansa going and British coming back two different airlines two different ticket numbers.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DillMan
Honestly I think you have an ironclad lawsuit here. You could be the first of a class!
How do I go about a lawsuit? What basis do I have? Would I win? Please elaborate Dillman.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey

Flight$742.32
Taxes & Fees $81.38

There were flights if you chose Delta with Delta that have no booking fees. But if you fly out on Alaska and back on Delta there is a $7 booking fee which I think is pure extortion for the following reasons

1. When Expedia goes to book the ticket you are on Alaska Ticket Stock as Delta is a partner no extra work just a different PNR.

2. To send one email with both PNRs costs them pennies.

3. Other websites allow you to book multiple airlines with no extra fees.

4. When I booked a Lufthansa/Brussels Airlines Itinerary on Expedia I flew a combination of Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines and was not assessed a fee.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by danielonn
Yest it shows a booking fee however since you are booking with a Codeshare(Delta/Alaska) the fee should be waived. Now I could see if Expedia wanted to charge a booking fee for flying Lufthansa going and British coming back two different airlines two different ticket numbers.
Expedia can charge any fee they like. You can choose not to buy from them.

Or you can just sue.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
May I suggest that you look up the proper legal meaning of "extortion" before you continue throwing that word about? Unless, of course, Expedia actually did use or threaten force, violence, or fear against you.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
May I suggest that you look up the proper legal meaning of "extortion" before you continue throwing that word about? Unless, of course, Expedia actually did use or threaten force, violence, or fear against you.
Dig into the other thread so you may see where OP tends to come from:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...ed-cruise.html

How do I go about a lawsuit? What basis do I have? Would I win?
That's what lawyers are for. I suggest you pay a lawyer to find all the right answers to your questions.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:19 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expedia publishes the fee and conditions for when it is applied.
That condition applied to what you booked, and the fee was listed on your booking summary, you accepted the total and paid for it.

A Travel Agent can charge whatever service fees they like, and as long as you are told upfront what they are and accept them I don't exactly see what your problem is. You don't have to use Expedia.

While I did save a considerable amount of money going through Expedia if I did this on Orbitz would I be charged the same fee? What gives? If I booked a family of 3 that would be $21 dollars.
Orbitz does not charge a fee for single carrier flights.

If you booked for a group of 100 you would have to pay $700 in fees! Definately a class action lawsuit

EDIT: After reading some of your past threads about frivolous lawsuits and injuries, it really does not put you in a good light at all. You sound like the type of person who would intentionally step in front of a car to sue them.
What amused me was how you were trying to extort money from an airport services company, because their agent who was guiding you through the airport because of your poor vision went to "hug a friend". How did you see this happen if you were being guided due to poor vision? Did you pay for this service? If not, why should you expect compensation for a brief wait?

Last edited by nux; Jun 21, 2013 at 5:48 am
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:11 am

Guys - In a medical emergency, does Expedia be lenient towards cancelation fees? I have purchased the standard tickets from expedia a month ago and I guess it's non-refundable. Any strategies to go about to get some money back? I have doctor's certificates for a family member in cardiac care - thank you
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - In a medical emergency, does Expedia be lenient towards cancelation fees? I have purchased the standard tickets from expedia a month ago and I guess it's non-refundable. Any strategies to go about to get some money back? I have doctor's certificates for a family member in cardiac care - thank you
This is what travel insurance is for. The ticketing rules will apply, and I doubt very much Expedia will refund you unless it is a fare condition.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:54 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
It never hurts to ask.... but I would expect Expedia to say no. I am assuming you did not buy Expedia's Travel Protection insurance?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:06 am

Sorry totally forgot - meant orbitz. Is it any different and i didn't buy any supplemental insurance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.