Is airtickets.com a scam website?

Old Mar 21, 14, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Is airtickets.com a scam website?

This is my first post on Flyertalk. I've enjoyed reading the forums over the past few months as aviation is a big interest of mine, although I don't get to fly half as much as I'd like to.

I'm currently trying to book a flight from DUB to SFO. I've been watching the prices on skyscanner.ie and kayak.ie for the past 2 weeks and one online travel agency is coming up cheapest everytime: airtickets.com. However, as soon as I try to book the flight, a notification pops up saying that the price has changed (usually bringing the cost up to the same level as the other travel agencies). This is despite skyscanner telling me that the quoted price is the up to date "live" one.

My second gripe with the website is that it won't accept my surname because it has a space in it e.g. "Mc Donald" as opposed to "McDonald". I have to input my name exactly as it is on my passport or it causes trouble when checking-in. This is bizarre and it's the only website I've ever had this difficulty with.

They don't respond to emails either. A quick google tells me the site is based in Russia. Is this true? Has anyone got any experience booking flights with them? And before anybody chimes in with "book your flights directly with the airline" - this is not an option due to cost. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 22, 14, 6:49 am
Original Poster

An update for anybody who is researching this company in future. Any emails to the address listed on their website [email protected] are bounced back. You will get an automated message in Greek, which when translated says "Unable to deliver your message because they do not allow delivery to this address".

This makes sense as some more research on the website tells me it's origin is in Greece. More info available here

So it seems the website checks out but it still hasn't resolved my problems with rejecting my surname and the falsely advertised "click-bait" prices. There is a number listed on the website +44 (203) 432 8090 but I fear I'll be charged €6 a min or some other ridiculous cost. Has nobody out there ever booked through these guys?
Old Mar 23, 14, 8:46 pm

hi i found your post. i was inquiring about airfasttickets not airtickets.
Old Mar 24, 14, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I’ve been doing further research about airtickets.com and I want to post my findings here in the hope that a future reader will find the info useful.

Any emails that are sent to the address listed on their website ([email protected]) are bounced back with an automated reply in Greek. When translated it says “unable to deliver your message because they do not allow delivery to this address

This makes sense as apparently the website is based in Greece. More info available on http://www.scamadviser.com/.

Conclusion: Avoid this site. If a price is too good to be true, it's likely a scam. I've found some obscure reviews from poor souls who got burned by airtickets.com here. Overall, info is very scarce on the company so I feel it's important to archive my experience here on flyertalk.
simo12 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 14, 11:17 am

Fine Experience with Airtickets.com

I just used airtickets.com to buy tickets to Greece after I was linked there by skyscanner.com. These tickets were$250 cheaper per person than any other travel site. After reading reviews on this forum and a similar TripAdviosr forum, I was pretty nervous, but I concluded it was a legitimate site that had customer service issues. I purchased my tickets, and I have now confirmed with the two carriers, Air Canada and Lufthansa, that I am in fact booked on those flights.

Bottom line is that it worked for me.

It seems strange to me that all these people have name changing ticket issues. I imagine Airtickets.com just takes the names you typed in and puts that name on the ticket. I wonder if some people just entered the incorrect information when filling out the page online. I would just suggest that people be careful filling out their information on the site.

I can't speak for their customer service, but I can say that I purchased tickets via airtickets.com and am now on the flights. Given that I am over 2 months out from my trip, I figured I could deal with a bad customer service department if necessary and it was worth it to save $500 altogether on flights.
Old Jun 17, 14, 6:34 am

airtickets.com is airtickets.gr
with airtickets.gr I have already booked flight tickets Boat tickets
the last 5 years I have booked with them more than 50 tickets and never had problems.
Old Jun 17, 14, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
2 brand new members with a single post vouching for a company makes me a little suspicious.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 17, 14, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by largeturkey View Post

Bottom line is that it worked for me.
Originally Posted by NaHiK View Post
I have already booked flight tickets Boat tickets
the last 5 years I have booked with them more than 50 tickets and never had problems.
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jun 17, 14, 3:12 pm

Brussels Vienna airplane tickets Brussels 2 (april)
Brussels Rome Athens 2 tickets
Brussels Corfu 2 tickets
Ioannina Athens 2 tickets
Athens Sifnos 3 tickets
Athens Milos 1 ticket
Sifnos Milos 3 tickets
Milos Athens 4 tickets
Athens Rome 4 tickets
Rome Brussels 4 tickets
Just this year, because we visit two islands (Sifnos / Milos)and Rome
Old Jun 20, 14, 1:10 pm
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by largeturkey View Post
I purchased my tickets, and I have now confirmed with the two carriers, Air Canada and Lufthansa, that I am in fact booked on those flights.
Have you verified that your ticket has been issued? Having a booking and having a ticket are two very different things as I had to find out the hard way when my travel provider decided to take his customers' money and flee the country instead of buying tickets with the money.

HTB.
Old Aug 28, 14, 1:57 am

http://www.airtickets.com/ are scammers

http://www.airtickets.com/

they took money and no flight was booked, and i have asked for refund, they are playing a game for past 4 month.

http://www.airtickets.com/ are fake and cheaters ,
stay away from this website.
Old Sep 15, 14, 2:21 pm

Apparently, they've changed tactics: I found their prices to consistently be about $100 less than others. So I ordered three tickets and guess what? AFTER I'd paid, the price had suddenly jumped $100 due to an added 'credit card charge!' As if there's any other way to pay on an Internet site. And I paid with a debit card, which means they got their money immediately. Numerous letters of complaint went unanswered. Bottom line: this is a crooked outfit. STAY AWAY!
Old Sep 15, 14, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jfmisrael View Post
Bottom line: this is a crooked outfit. STAY AWAY!
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Oct 25, 14, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by FoReal View Post
I’ve been doing further research about airtickets.com and I want to post my findings here in the hope that a future reader will find the info useful.

Any emails that are sent to the address listed on their website ([email protected]) are bounced back with an automated reply in Greek. When translated it says “unable to deliver your message because they do not allow delivery to this address

This makes sense as apparently the website is based in Greece. More info available on http://www.scamadviser.com/.

Conclusion: Avoid this site. If a price is too good to be true, it's likely a scam. I've found some obscure reviews from poor souls who got burned by airtickets.com here. Overall, info is very scarce on the company so I feel it's important to archive my experience here on flyertalk.
Old Oct 25, 14, 5:22 am

Exclamation Wrong Conclusion!

Originally Posted by FoReal View Post

Originally Posted by Lazulite View Post
Your conclusion is flawed. Please do more research next time before posting. This is a 14-year old site, trusted by hundreds of thousands of travellers. The lower price offers is a legitimate practice that has been used by many (now established) websites for advertising and exposure purposes. Conclusion: DO NOT AVOID THIS SITE.

Search this Thread