Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is airtickets.com a scam website?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA P1K, MR Plat
Just to follow up on my last post, I went back to airtickets.com today to book essentially the same itinerary (only change was the departure date and number of pax). This time when I got to the check-out page, the price had increased and was listed in EUR vs USD, and there was a surcharge for paying with visa on top of that. Decided to go with another online TA. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by NickSATX; Jun 27, 2018 at 4:29 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:01 am

They're bankrupt. Don't use them.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1916924-tripsta-airtickets-travelplanet24-effectively-bankrupt.html
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: UA P1K, MR Plat
Originally Posted by LacMajeur
Thanks for sharing this link, it looks like I got lucky as payment appears to have been made in full by the OTA to the airline.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:12 am

Sorry to add to an already old and long thread but I'm at wits' end. I foolishly booked through airtickets.com. The flight was canceled by the issuing airlines. The airlines informed me they refunded the money to Airtickets.com but Airtickets does not respond to repeated emails for nearly a year now.

It appears they will successfully steal nearly US$1400 from me for 2 plane tickets.

Do I have any method of recourse? There must be a consumer watchdog group in the EU that protects customers from outright theft like this. Is there anything that can be done, especially by a non-EU citizen?

Last edited by rubbernecker; Apr 3, 2019 at 5:15 am Reason: Delete from old thread to start new thread
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you're a US resident and paid with a credit card, you'd have recourse under the Fair Credit Billing Act, but you have to file your dispute within 60 days of the billing statement, which, in your case, is well past. You may still be able to file a dispute with your credit card provider and see if they might take any action. I'm not in the EU so will defer comment on any EU regulations/enforcement bodies to those in the EU, or how an EU bankruptcy handles creditors (prior post makes a comment about a bankruptcy).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
If you're a US resident and paid with a credit card, you'd have recourse under the Fair Credit Billing Act, but you have to file your dispute within 60 days of the billing statement, which, in your case, is well past. You may still be able to file a dispute with your credit card provider and see if they might take any action. I'm not in the EU so will defer comment on any EU regulations/enforcement bodies to those in the EU, or how an EU bankruptcy handles creditors (prior post makes a comment about a bankruptcy).
Thanks for replying, Tom. I'll note this advice for next time.

After speaking to a solicitor in England, it turns out the Airtickets.com (and parent Tripsta) is now out of business. Further supported by wikipedia wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripsta_S.A. (sorry, links not yet allowed for me)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
While this is an old thread, what is still relevant is that customers should always research the OTA they are thinking to hand their money to as well as read the T&Cs carefully. The only benefit of not doing research and reading the T&Cs is that it makes for fascinating reading when horror stories are posted about how much money has been lost or turning up at the airport with no ticket being booked by the OTA etc etc
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:36 pm

Scammers

This sounds unbelievable but Airtickets.com intercepted my phone call to Air Canada and pretended to be the airline. They charged me $1100 to reschedule a cancelled flight. Air Canada told me rescheduling would have been free. I’m not the only one whose call was intercepted by these people. There are 18 other people who report a very similar experience at trustpilot
htb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.