Yore Oyster feedback

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Yore Oyster feedback

Not sure if this would be the right forum, but does anyone know what the deal is with www.yoreoyster.com? The pitch, which offers what is framed to sound like the type of mistake fares we hunger for on this board, literally drips with a telemarketing feel and the overall sketchiness of the vague nature of the "project" is suspect, but I would be absolutely lying if I said I'm not wondering why I'm seeing this pop up in a couple of social media feeds as if it's something to be legitimately inquisitive about. I couldn't find anything on the forums about it yet, so does anyone have an explanation for what it is? Please don't flame me if I'm overlooking something super obvious about the too-good-to-be-true nature of this offering, I'm just curious as to what this guy could possibly think he has to offer.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I doubt this site would have any original content.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
A little research shows the beta site he has.. he leads off with ".. flight to Italy, then onto Tokyo for $150". Sounds like he's a FD'er maybe?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/09/t...ght-prices-80/

I have yet to see any real information on it..
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Tblack15
A little research shows the beta site he has.. he leads off with ".. flight to Italy, then onto Tokyo for $150". Sounds like he's a FD'er maybe?

That deal was on here a while ago.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
That deal was on here a while ago.
Lies! I never saw this and the 800 posts!!!

Yes, I know.. just quoting the website and giving more info..
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Right, I mean I've seen his beta site and read the two blog posts he has up and also looked for mentions on Google news where I also saw that article/post of sorts, but other than that I'm turning up nothing legitimately substantial - and it's just suuuuch a bold statement, to offer what we know to be book-now-think-later fares (aka unexpected, short-lived, and usually a mistake) as something that is consistently attainable between city pairs of choice..
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is more a question about a particular online travel retailer than a Mileage Run Deal I've relocated it to the Online Travel Booking & Bidding forum for further discussion.

Regards,

tcook052
MR Forum Moderator
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:05 pm

I'll wait and see until what he comes with, but it's certainly likely that he's talking about using miles and paying taxes only, or mistake fares....
Good marketing nonetheless.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I hope he knows that if he sells these fares as a TA not only will he be hit with a bill from the airlines but they will close up the loopholes very quickly and an entire section of this forum will be furious.

Last edited by PbodyPhoto; Sep 9, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:52 pm

I saw the VanCity article. Seems a little too good to be true. I think maybe you'll get lucky and find a cheap flight (we all do once in a while), but overall, this guy is not bringing down the cost of flights. Let's hope he has some intelligent algorithm / scanning technique that can make it easier to pounce when the deals come along. Skeptical.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:41 pm

The "Entrepreneur" behind this is a guy who makes a living selling simple things re-purposed as "mystery." (See, e.g.: http://www.businessinsider.com/jorda...product-2014-7)

He is most likely selling you an explanation (or service) on how to sign up for a credit card, get a bonus, and book an award ticket.

Don't believe me? Let's look at his promises...

(1) "I'm going to fly you to Istanbul for $50."

YYZ > IST: Miles + $49.80

(2) "Zurich ... for $75"

YYZ > ZRH: Miles + $75.50

(3) "You’ll need to fork out $10 more for Paris"

YYZ > CDG: Miles + $87.10.

You can go on down the line with each promise and match it up with the taxes associated with a certain routing on an award flight.

My advice? Don't take the bait.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by Tblack15

Had the same first thoughts; FDing. Imagine the guy goes public on a trick while his blog is getting coverage on national media...

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'll wait and see until what he comes with, but it's certainly likely that he's talking about using miles and paying taxes only, or mistake fares....
Good marketing nonetheless.
Good example of online marketing. I, too, will be sitting and waiting to see how this little project unfolds...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:03 pm

Most of the prices he quotes are directly equal to the taxes and fees, so I assume it's some sort of credit card scheme with affiliate links.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold; PC Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Most of the prices he quotes are directly equal to the taxes and fees, so I assume it's some sort of credit card scheme with affiliate links.
You seem to have hit the nail on the head. Canadian KM at BoardingArea seems to agree: http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...d-yore-oyster/
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:19 pm

I'm way too curious and signed up... Received this e-mail today:

Welcome to the Yore Oyster Quick Start Guide!
This guide is here to get you flying like an expert in record time.
On the next page (Page 4), you’ll learn the three components that make up every ticket
price and see what those three components really mean.
On Page 5, you’ll gain access to the two tools you need to eliminate the largest of those
three components, the base fare.
On Page 6, you’ll learn the core of the strategy: the method behind systematically
eliminating the other large component, the fuel surcharge.

On Page 7, you’ll see a list of the airlines that will help you fly for next-to-nothing.
On Page 8, you’ll learn how to best apply this knowledge and why it’s important that you
capitalize on it soon.
And on Page 9, we’ll summarize the strategy so you can refer back to it quickly later

Annnnnd then I read on.. Literally explaining CC churning and choosing airlines that don't pass on fuel surcharges on award tickets. At least his not publishing the tricks, but still pretty lame to me

Last edited by Tblack15; Sep 15, 2014 at 1:23 pm Reason: read on..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.