Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-carrier online itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Question Multi-carrier online itineraries

I'm traveling from Baltimore BWI to Tortola EIS and an American Airlines itinerary is just hellish (6AM bwi to miami, 6 hours lay over in miami, miami to san juan, san juan to tortola.)

I looked up non-stops from BWI to San Juan and there's a perfect flight on Air Tran. But Kayak etc won't give me a way to book BWI to San Juan on Air Tran and then San Juan to Torolla on American Eagle.

Is there a way to create this itinerary online or do I have to go through a travel agent?

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You can do it as two separate bookings.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:37 pm

Unfortunately Airtran does not have an interline agreement with American so this is impossible unless you want to risk two separate tickets. Airtran has a unique ticketing system so they have very few interline partners. At this point they only interline with Frontier Airlines, Icelandair, United Airlines and US Airways. As they become southwest those agreements will likely go away also.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Allow plenty of time for "connection" because it's not a connection, but two separate itineraries. Expect little love from AA at SJU if you are late.

2. Stick to carry-on. Checked luggage at SJU is a nightmare and you can't interline your bag from FL to AA. So, it's checked to SJU, you pick it up, schlep it to AA and check it in.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Other alternatives are:

1. You can definitely can book Airtran and American Eagle on the same itinerary through some websites. A quick search found CheapoAir has this offered. Put in flight details and then click on Airtran for an offering of a continuous itinerary which I found at the same price as AA by itself. Agree with other comments that be careful on luggage transfer or just do carry-ons.

When I've had to do transfers like this in the past on 2 airlines with no code-share alliance I've found some flight aggregators will offer it but others will not. For instance of BDL to NEV on USAir and WinAir through an alliance but a flight back on LIAT and USAir that did not...couldn't get this combination through USAir but could through an aggregator...then this magically showed up on the USAir website once it was booked.

2. Use the ITA software search engine to find the flight combo you want with the appropriate price and hand the printout to a travel agent. ITA runs the background searches for many travel websites. http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

3. Fly into St. Thomas, take luggage and taxi to the Marine Terminal in Charlotte Amalie and take a ferry (Smith's Ferry, Road Town Fast Ferry, and others offer daily service to the BVI) to Tortola. There are direct flights into STT from the mainland or you can transfer in SJU through Seabourne Seaplane or others.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:32 pm

[QUOTE=GadgetKen;19733620]Other alternatives are:

1. You can definitely can book Airtran and American Eagle on the same itinerary through some websites. A quick search found CheapoAir has this offered. Put in flight details and then click on Airtran for an offering of a continuous itinerary which I found at the same price as AA by itself. Agree with other comments that be careful on luggage transfer or just do carry-ons.

QUOTE]

No you cant book them togeher CheapoAir is notorious for this. They will show the combination in the search results, but will not allow you to ticket it. It will either give you an error before it allows you to imput your credit card or will contact you after and try to sell you a diifernt ticket.

AA and FL do not have an interline agreement. No one can book this.

The more reputible online travel agents will not play this trick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.