Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Refund of unused taxes for nonref ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver

I would like to get the unused taxes refunded for a EK ticket which was sold via XP.com (ie ticket sold in US).

When i called XP, they as usual contacted the airline and EK agent advised them the taxes can't be refunded because the ticket is not refundable.

However, my friend who has exactly the same ticket but purchased that via EK.com got the unused taxes refunded. The ticket is partially used (return is not used, non restrictive one-way fares exist for the used segment in same booking class - just in case).

When i called another agent (who did not seem to be offshore btw) he advised me that its US Revenue code that prohibits them from refunding the taxes for a non-refundable ticket.

I insisted they call EK again and another EK agent advised that its up to XP to refund the taxes or not but XP agent told again XP cant process the refund of unused taxes because of the US revenue code.

He could not give me the details why exactly and could only give me the revenue administration phone number...

From what i read on the web US law does have a position if the unused taxes shall be refunded or not but its first time i hear 'its prohibited'.

Moreover, the ticket was from AKL to SYD and back and gare rules have nothing to do with US law.

Can anyone advise where in the US revenue code such prohibition is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.