Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline for room for three?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:16 pm
B1

Originally Posted by fanger
In the end I decided not to risk it at all. In Italy I booked two priceline rooms (by far the most expensive per night for the three of us). In Spain I booked rooms conventionally and specifying three guests- some very low rates a mile or two away from center, but close to transportation. Minor inconvenience was worth the price differential.

All the rooms in the three cities were configured with two twin beds; my partner and I can sleep together on a twin, so it would have been ok I think. We could have saved about 1/3 of the total lodging cost by not declaring or accounting for the third person, more than $500 for the whole trip. In the past, though, I've had hotwire and priceline rooms where only single king beds were offered, that would have been more awkward.

On balance though I am a bit of a square about such things; I mainly considered it to help out our third person, for whom the trip was stretch.

Thanks for everyone's perspective.
You're welcome and thanks for the follow-up. I agree with your decisions and they seem to have worked for you. I also think that your outcome indicates what I wrote earlier and recommended was not "hogwash" in the insulting post that quoted me - and was rebutted by others. I'm sure it was a fine trip at a very reasonable cost.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:32 am

Glad to hear that you made a decision based on your own risk propensity. Book on PL, take the risk. Europe is a different ballgame than North America. I think you made the right decision.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ranman1973
The rules of Priceline are that the room is guaranteed to accommodate a maximum of 2 guests. In most cases (but not all), the hotel will accommodate your request. It depends on when you arrive at the hotel, their vacancy rate, etc. and it's a risk you run. I personally have had a hotel not able to accommodate me (my kids slept on the floor but they were only 4 years old so no biggy) and have heard of others with similar experiences. But more often than not, you'll be fine.
Sorry but your statement is (almost) worthless. I agree most hotels in cities like Orlando will accommodate 4 PL guests in one room, at no extra charge. There are hotels in NYC which won't. The OP is asking about Spain. Small hotel rooms in Europe is the norm. Getting a hotel room which will accommodate 3 or 4 guests isn't the norm in Europe, for any booking.

I checked your board. I'll save other the time it takes. The number of posts you have is a small fraction of what's found on the other boards. You literally have less then a handful of threads (5) discussing European hotels and PL. None of those threads mention putting more then 2 guests in a room.

I'm glad the OP decided to ignore your advice.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:49 pm

Hey Lewis, you're totally right. I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Europe bidding on Priceline. Maybe I thought Spain was in North America (kidding) or maybe I just missed that part of the original post.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by ranman1973
Hey Lewis, you're totally right. I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Europe bidding on Priceline. Maybe I thought Spain was in North America (kidding) or maybe I just missed that part of the original post.
Except it's not just Europe. There are hotels in NYC which assign PL customers rooms which are only big enough for two guests. A PL guest might get lucky and get a complimentary upgrade, more likely will be allowed to pay for an upgrade or might even be out of luck. Some hotels in Las Vegas charge for a third person in a room, even an infant in a crib. PL guests shouldn't expect preferential treatment.

I wouldn't bid assuming a room for more then 2 in Europe. I wouldn't bid assuming a room for more then 2 in the US without first checking the reputable PL boards (BFT and BB) and making sure the city/zone I'm interested in doesn't have hotels which typically offer small rooms to PL customers. I wouldn't bother with your board for obvious reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.