Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

hotel bill lower than what i paid on orbitz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

At the end of a recent hotel stay that I booked through Orbitz for $220, I was given a receipt from the hotel for $175 (including taxes). This $175 is even lower than the Orbitz price I paid minus the taxes and fees. I called up Orbitz and was told by a clearly-unsure agent that the hotel had mistakenly provided me a receipt of what Orbitz actually paid for the room. Is there any way you guys know of that I'd be able to get a refund for this difference?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
No, I am not sure why you think Orbitz would pay you this difference. What they paid to the hotel for this room isn't relevant. Next time, look up the price on Orbitz, then call the hotel directly, to see if they can do better.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
No, I am not sure why you think Orbitz would pay you this difference.
Sorry, I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to flights and hotels. I guess I was just thrown off by receiving a receipt in my name when I paid almost $50 more.

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Next time, look up the price on Orbitz, then call the hotel directly, to see if they can do better.
Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by teammelli8080
At the end of a recent hotel stay that I booked through Orbitz for $220, I was given a receipt from the hotel for $175 (including taxes). This $175 is even lower than the Orbitz price I paid minus the taxes and fees. I called up Orbitz and was told by a clearly-unsure agent that the hotel had mistakenly provided me a receipt of what Orbitz actually paid for the room. Is there any way you guys know of that I'd be able to get a refund for this difference?
IMHO it is unreasonable to think that the Orbitz wouldn't be running a profitable business.

The invoice that you got just show how much the Orbitz paid/hotel gets reimbursed by Orbitz. Obviously it is going to be lower than what you paid.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's probably a good chance the hotel has no clue what you paid Orbitz for the room, so they issued an invoice with the amount they were Billing Orbitz instead of one that simply said "prepaid" with no amount other than your incidentals on it.

Orbitz is in business to make money in this case seems to be about a 25% increase. You agreed on a price with Orbitz, and that's what you should be paying. Nothing else matters.

Going forward, check the rate directly from the hotel and on Orbitz. It's totally possible you can still save money with Orbitz, that $175 rate may not be available to the public and you could not have gotten it. It could be a discount Otbitz negotiated.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Why they even issued you a bill?

You already pre-paid to Orbitz, so your bill should be coming from Orbitz, not from the hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pvs001d
Why they even issued you a bill?

You already pre-paid to Orbitz, so your bill should be coming from Orbitz, not from the hotel.
Bingo. The desk clerk made a mistake by even handing the OP a receipt. The desk clerk should have instructed the OP to contact Orbitz for a receipt.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by loomis
Bingo. The desk clerk made a mistake by even handing the OP a receipt. The desk clerk should have instructed the OP to contact Orbitz for a receipt.
Exactly, we keep having the same issue at our hotel. The reservation will usually come in and say in the comments: expedia reservation, use card in reservation for room and tax only(its an expedia single use card#) Even then I try to catch reservations that are pre-paid through expedia,priceline etc. Then in the comments on the reservation I will add guest not to get receipt at check out and does not get points. Also at check in when a registration card is printed the computer knows its a pre-paid reservation and the line with the rate is automatically left blank by the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.