Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Did travelocity disable their flex dates option?

Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I can't seem to pull it up, however I am using a new computer so maybe I am not doing the search correctly. Can anyone confirm?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
I noticed the same thing a few minutes ago and sent an email to them. The flexible date search was one of the most useful things about Travelocity after the removal of their dream maps feature.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It appears so, from their website at least. If so, this is a major disappointment.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Farewatcher is now useless, too.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:29 am

Here are some details about the change.

http://inacents.com/2011/12/21/where...rch-option-go/
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
This is not good news. What are people doing now to find low fare days in the out term??
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Yep, the farewatcher emails are now worthless. I'm done with Travelocity. It was great while it lasted.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:48 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by empedocles
Farewatcher is now useless, too.
+1
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Used to be a great site, booked a couple of times with them. The new changes are a great disappointment.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Travelocity stated that the flexible fare search would have been a violation of the new government requirement that the total fare be disclosed up front. Sadly, it seems that they would be correct...there was no way to show the total fare before you clicked on the fare and picked specific flights.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
Travelocity stated that the flexible fare search would have been a violation of the new government requirement that the total fare be disclosed up front. Sadly, it seems that they would be correct...there was no way to show the total fare before you clicked on the fare and picked specific flights.
It used to be a great tool I used along with ITA Matrix.

I am not sure, but is it possible to write a new algorithm to compare "fare plus tax" and then display the result in a flexible calendar? Is there really no way to do that like you said?

The data users enter will contain originating airport, destination airport and departing month, as it used to be.

Then the program search for all possible fares within the next few months of the departing months user entered, then add the corresponding tax to fares, and then sort the results in ascending order, and, finally, return, let's say, first 50 results with flight info, date and time.

Hope those at Travelocity are working on something like that.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
I agree, and this is the really the only reason I'm slightly disappointed by the new requirement the DOT instituted. I know it's probably for the best in all other cases, but this one special case should be exempted somehow.

One thing to note is that the airlines are still operating their own "low fare calendars" which display fares irrespective of routing, so perhaps Travelocity can find a way to do it in a similar way that doesn't skirt the rules.

One of these days, I may write my congressional representatives or the DOT directly and see what they have to say on this matter. If anyone else does and gets a response, I'd love to see it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by newballs
It used to be a great tool I used along with ITA Matrix.

I am not sure, but is it possible to write a new algorithm to compare "fare plus tax" and then display the result in a flexible calendar? Is there really no way to do that like you said?
Yes, they could do that. Orbitz has the +/- 3 days option. They certainly cannot display details of fare basis codes up front, which is what I miss the most. I want to know what the fares are on a route, not what the available fares are.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:44 pm

Hey guys/gals, guess what :-:, there is a site called cheapair.com, and it has the flexible fare search available (for US-US or US-CAN flight), almost like the old travelocity one

Cheers!^^^^^
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philosophy_king
Hey guys/gals, guess what :-:, there is a site called cheapair.com, and it has the flexible fare search available (for US-US or US-CAN flight), almost like the old travelocity one

Cheers!^^^^^
Nice find!

I've used CheapAir on occasion to find (and, once, even book) itineraries with some unusual fare combinations that no other booking engine would find. It's found by default some stuff that even other OTAs wouldn't find using the multicity option.

Good to see this function has been added, and it also looks like they got rid of their $10 booking fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.