Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotwire as an upper limit for Priceline bidding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotwire as an upper limit for Priceline bidding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:57 pm
B1

Originally Posted by Sheryl
I strongly suspect they pull from the same bucket but I do not have proof.
Hotwire requires the hotel give no one lower rates. The only way that works out is if they don't give Priceline a lower rate. Specifically: "Hotel agrees that it shall make hotel rooms available to Hotwire under terms at least as favorable as Hotel offers to any other opaque model Internet company including, without limitation, terms of pricing and availability."
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by swag
One other thing to consider, for those who want to save every last dollar: the fees are not identical. On a 1-night test booking I just ran, Hotwire offered a $71 room, with taxes and fees, the total was $87.68. Same date/city/zone/star level on Priceline, a $71 bid totaled out to $89.60.
In your comparison, Hotwire's price of $71 is a fixed price. The $71 "bid" you listed for comparison on Priceline's bid page is not. Maybe a $61 bid would have been sucessful resulting in a far lower PL total price. We just don't know unless someone actually tried some bids at lower than the $71 price used for comparison. A lower bid price would result in a change to lower PL taxes and fees. I'm strugling with what the $71 example demonstrates with respect to actual cost.

Last edited by rmiller774; Oct 31, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:12 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by rmiller774
In your comparison, Hotwire's price of $71 is a fixed price. The $71 "bid" you listed for comparison on Priceline's bid page is not. Maybe a $61 bid would have been sucessful resulting in a far lower PL total price. We just don't know unless someone actually tried some bids at lower than the $71 price used for comparison. A lower bid price would result in a change to lower PL taxes and fees. I'm strugling with what the $71 example demonstrates with respect to actual cost.
Great response!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by rmiller774
Well, the thread is titled "Hotwire as an upper limit for Priceline bidding".

The suggestion is that if I want the lowest possible price, and am bidding on Priceline, I should first check Hotwire. If I see a room on Hotwire offered for $71, I can bid up to that level on Priceline.

Of course if I have rebids, either due to free rebid zones or from having the time to rebid over days or longer, then yes, I should start lower and try that $61 bid first. That's PL 101.

But if I don't have the rebids, or if the lower bids are rejected, then I should be aware that my $71 or even $70 bid on Priceline will likely end up costing me more than booking the $71 room on Hotwire.

That's what my example demonstrates with respect to my actual cost.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:43 am
In memoriam

"if the lower bids are rejected, then I should be aware that my $71 or even $70 bid on Priceline will likely end up costing me more than booking the $71 room on Hotwire."

You are correct but I don't think that would ever happen if you bid a few dollars less than Hotwire's rate.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:53 pm

To answer the original question: Hotwire as an upper limit...

I generally bid on Priceline to the Hotwire price less 10% to 20%, then max out. Reason: Hotwire tells you the hotel amenities. A guaranteed airport shuttle, swimming pool, or free breakfast is worth it to me to pay a bit of a premium for a Hotwire room over Priceline. (I suspect someone will disput this ;-) )

Having said that, I think the original post was pertaining to a hotel somewhere in Europe? As a general rule, I've seen a lot of complaints about Hotwire hotels in Europe not meeting standards we've come to expect in North America. E.g., a 3.5 star hotel in Europe is about the equivalent of a 2.5 star in the US or Canada. Anecdotally, this seem to be more of a phenomenon with Hotwire's ratings than with Pricelines.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by ranman1973
To answer the original question: Hotwire as an upper limit...

I generally bid on Priceline to the Hotwire price less 10% to 20%, then max out. Reason: Hotwire tells you the hotel amenities. A guaranteed airport shuttle, swimming pool, or free breakfast is worth it to me to pay a bit of a premium for a Hotwire room over Priceline. (I suspect someone will disput this ;-) )

Having said that, I think the original post was pertaining to a hotel somewhere in Europe? As a general rule, I've seen a lot of complaints about Hotwire hotels in Europe not meeting standards we've come to expect in North America. E.g., a 3.5 star hotel in Europe is about the equivalent of a 2.5 star in the US or Canada. Anecdotally, this seem to be more of a phenomenon with Hotwire's ratings than with Pricelines.
This is more or less what I do, this year I was getting within 10% of Hotwire or closer without getting Priceline hits, so went with Hotwire for 2 of 3 bookings because of the amenities thing. I did get a 5* in Madrid just below 11% of what I think was the Hotwire quote, so that was my Priceline.

Regarding the star level debate, which is probably worth a separate thread, I confine my European bids/purchases on both sites to 4 and 5* and have been pretty happy. I do think that if you go into it thinking that the * level correlates strongly to your own conventionally booked North American experience, you will sometimes be disappointed. E.g. 4* Holiday Inn in Europe no better than your average Courtyard in the US. That said, I am more often pleased than disappointed, e.g. Crowne Plaza in Zurich or NH in Milan. Location is usually more of an issue.

I've always been happy with 5* results.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:46 am

I have used Hotwire's listings for years to prepare bids, along with the tools found on Betterbidding; search function and calendar of wins. Betterbidding also lists Hotwire wins.

Hotwire will show only the lowest priced property at a specified star rating in a given zone. Hotwire also engages in star inflation, that is, their properties are a half star and occasionally a full star rating higher than Priceline so this has to be considered when using Hotwire as a bidding guide. So, if the same property is rated 3* on Hotwire and 2.5* on Priceline this has to be taken into account when preparing bids.

As for which is cheaper? It is a very rare occasion when bidding on Priceline where I cannot beat Hotwire, and I have been doing so for at least 6 years and at least 200 wins. This includes taxes and fees, this is a walk out the door price.

Last edited by jabez; Dec 6, 2011 at 7:16 am Reason: Improper
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sheryl
Your response is flawed, cordelli. Maybe that snow is freezing your brain.
No need for the third grade insults, after all, this is a respectful community.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by hammie
I have used Hotwire's listings for years to prepare bids, along with the tools found on Betterbidding; search function and calendar of wins. Betterbidding also lists Hotwire wins.

Hotwire will show only the lowest priced property at a specified star rating in a given zone. Hotwire also engages in star inflation, that is, their properties are a half star and occasionally a full star rating higher than Priceline so this has to be considered when using Hotwire as a bidding guide. So, if the same property is rated 3* on Hotwire and 2.5* on Priceline this has to be taken into account when preparing bids.

As for which is cheaper? It is a very rare occasion when bidding on Priceline where I cannot beat Hotwire, and I have been doing so for at least 6 years and at least 200 wins. This includes taxes and fees, this is a walk out the door price.
Big Hotwire and Priceline user myself. Not quite at the 200 win mark but somewhere around 50 on each of those sites.

I would very much concur with your response. Very rarely can you not find a better deal on Priceline than Hotwire. ~80% of the time Priceline is cheaper. Also noticed that Hotwire seems to be generous with their star rating.

Given this, it does make sense to use Hotwire as the upper limit. Sometimes I go a bit higher because of the generous star ratings that Hotwire uses.

Also makes sense to use some of the helper sites such as BetterBidding and HotelDealsRevealed.com just to see what other people are bidding and winning.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by MarcJ55
Big Hotwire and Priceline user myself. Not quite at the 200 win mark but somewhere around 50 on each of those sites.

I would very much concur with your response. Very rarely can you not find a better deal on Priceline than Hotwire. ~80% of the time Priceline is cheaper. Also noticed that Hotwire seems to be generous with their star rating.

Given this, it does make sense to use Hotwire as the upper limit. Sometimes I go a bit higher because of the generous star ratings that Hotwire uses.
+1

Same experience here. PL almost always beats HW (of corse it is hard to prove unless one commits to a hotel in both sites for the same night)

Originally Posted by MarcJ55

Also makes sense to use some of the helper sites such as BetterBidding and HotelDealsRevealed.com just to see what other people are bidding and winning.
Great to learn about HotelDealsRevealed - we can never have enough of these sites. BTW big betterbidding fan here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.