Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline "Name Your Own Bid" Zone Misrepresentation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Has anyone ever managed to get a hold of Priceline or get some sense from them when using the Name Your Own Bid option? I've extensively used Name Your Own Bid for my travels throughout America and Canada and recently opted to use them for an upcoming trip to Hong Kong.

I ended up with a property represented as West Island but is actually in Wan Chai. Hong Kong for whatever reason does not have the usual interactive map that Priceline usually has, instead it has a static gif map with no key or legend which is what I believe led to confusion.

Long story short, I'm stuck with a property that wasn't represented correctly on the map and they claim tough luck because they deem the property to be within the border (even though the hotel's own website doesn't confirm this stance).

I ended up with Cosmopolitan Hotel in Wan Chai - I'm frustrated because I get generic emails and no ability to actually speak with someone - I'm also not located in America which is pissing me off no end.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to get some action out of this please?

Cheers
Dave
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Indeed, that looks like it's right on the border of the zone, but you really can't tell with that map. I think you have a decent case for a refund.

Try the normal customer service route. (I've had very poor luck with that, but try it.) If that fails, try to escalate through the executive chain. There's a form on the website, possibly under investor relations, for sending a note to management. You'll get someone competent calling you back.

http://ir.priceline.com/contactus.cfm
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

I am fuming - I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with them and then they basically said sorry we're closed call back at 9am eastern.

I then asked them about the price guarantee and they claim they couldn't find the price on the hotel's website and the best price they could find, it's cancellation policy differs.

whilst on the phone I also just received an email from that basically says tough luck.

---
We have made arrangements for you to speak with a Customer Care
Consultant. If you choose to call us, please be aware that our
Consultants will confirm the policies and information regarding your
reservation that we have already communicated to you.
---
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmbl
Indeed, that looks like it's right on the border of the zone, but you really can't tell with that map. I think you have a decent case for a refund.

Try the normal customer service route. (I've had very poor luck with that, but try it.) If that fails, try to escalate through the executive chain. There's a form on the website, possibly under investor relations, for sending a note to management. You'll get someone competent calling you back.

http://ir.priceline.com/contactus.cfm
I shall give that a shot also - thank you so much for that
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This is a case where a bit of homework may have saved some aggregation. If you look at the hotel lists on at least one of the bidding websites, the hotel is listed in the West Hong Kong Island Zone.

I don't think you will have much luck in getting your money back, Priceline sets their own zones, star levels, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by cordelli

This is a case where a bit of homework may have saved some aggregation. If you look at the hotel lists on at least one of the bidding websites, the hotel is listed in the West Hong Kong Island Zone.
phat-dave

Looks like you are fairly new to FlyerTalk. Just in case you aren't familiar with the "bidding websites" cordelli noted - a couple of them - www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com. There are others, but these are the two with which I'm more acquainted.

In betterbidding, entering 'hong kong cosmopolitan" in the Quick Search box (top center of page) brings up a bunch of bid reports.

Romelle
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

cheers
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Sheryl
I can't help but wonder how frequently he comes around since he knows the information available is very useful and likely mines it for his personal benefit very frequently.
Isn't "personal benefit" (ie saving money) the entire point? You make it sound like it's something dirty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.