Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

How much lag is in the ITA databases? Tickets are "sold out at the fare I'm asking"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much lag is in the ITA databases? Tickets are "sold out at the fare I'm asking"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm booking a multi-carrier trip with an airline who claims their competitor (and partner) is "sold out of tickets at the fare I'm asking". The booking airline (AC) seems to really want me to buy their flights, not UA flights. They said I can pay lots more for the flights I want, or I can book more AC flights.

Is it reasonable that the cheap seats are all sold out, and ITA is simply slow at getting the update?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:24 pm
In memoriam

Yes it is.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Yes and no. Usually the search engines on the first pass search for fares, but not the availability of those fares. It may say there is a fare for $400 between New York and LA on XYZ airline, but it will not check to see if that fare is still available on the days and times you are looking for.

There was just another thread on Kayak doing the same thing in the past few days.

When you check the airline's site, they are actually checking to see if there are seats available before giving you the fare.

Also, if you are booking multiple tickets, say four tickets, and they come back with three left at $400 and the next lowest price of $700, they will charge you $700 for all four tickets, not three at the lower price. Always try breaking it down to 2 and 2 or each individually to see if there's a difference...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.