Wiki Posts
Search

Getaroom.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Getaroom.com

I'm helping some friends book a California vacation and I'm finding this agency's rates (which are non-opaque) to be the best out there: often cheaper than the chains themselves (might want to try some best price guarantee claims) and easy to deal with online. They claim to sometimes have lower rates if you call their 800-number, but the three times I've called, the rates were actually cheaper on their website!

I'm basically using this as a back-up to priceline. I'll bid up to $20 less on priceline (including tax and fees) from the all in rate of a decent getaroom hotel (4 star tripadvisor reviews). At that point, I figure the risk of priceline isn't worth it, especially if I can score a decent hotel with free breakfast on getaroom. In both LA and Orange County. my $20/under bids on priceline were rejected. Getaroom rates do pop up on Kayak.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
getaroom is owned by hotels.com - same advice applies

they have good deals, and i have used them in high priced cities, but with some hotels at least they play the game hotels.com can play -they offer and confirm a low rate but play "chicken" witht e booking. Make sure you get the HOTEL's conf # not just getaroom.com's conf.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
they have good deals, and i have used them in high priced cities, but with some hotels at least they play the game hotels.com can play -they offer and confirm a low rate but play "chicken" witht e booking. Make sure you get the HOTEL's conf # not just getaroom.com's conf.
Really? Thanks for the heads up. So how do I get the hotel confirmation: call the hotel?

BTW, I'm surprised by how expensive priceline seems to me these days. For my own use, I've been mostly relying on hotel points the past couple of years (including big purchases in the Discover America promos). Like I used to be able to easily get an LAX hotel on priceline for $60 or less. Now, not so easy. I'm very reluctant to book 3-star priceline hotels for $100 all in. Seems risky: I'd rather pick my own hotel at that price point.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:28 am
In memoriam

they play the game hotels.com can play -they offer and confirm a low rate but play "chicken" witht e booking.
I've never heard that term before. Please explain what it means.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:35 am

The game of chicken models two drivers, both headed for a single lane bridge from opposite directions. The first to swerve away yields the bridge to the other. If neither player swerves, the result is a costly deadlock in the middle of the bridge, or a potentially fatal head-on collision. It is presumed that the best thing for each driver is to stay straight while the other swerves (since the other is the "chicken" while a crash is avoided). Additionally, a crash is presumed to be the worst outcome for both players. This yields a situation where each player, in attempting to secure his best outcome, risks the worst.

The phrase game of chicken is also used as a metaphor for a situation where two parties engage in a showdown where they have nothing to gain...

Wickipedia
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:35 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
The game of chicken models two drivers, both headed for a single lane bridge from opposite directions. The first to swerve away yields the bridge to the other. If neither player swerves, the result is a costly deadlock in the middle of the bridge, or a potentially fatal head-on collision. It is presumed that the best thing for each driver is to stay straight while the other swerves (since the other is the "chicken" while a crash is avoided). Additionally, a crash is presumed to be the worst outcome for both players. This yields a situation where each player, in attempting to secure his best outcome, risks the worst.

The phrase game of chicken is also used as a metaphor for a situation where two parties engage in a showdown where they have nothing to gain...

Wickipedia
So what does that mean in the context of this discussion?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:44 am

Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:52 am
In memoriam

What does a smiley face mean if you were trying to answer my question?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:06 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by squeakr
From the getaroom.com affiliate manager:

"We are not owned by Hotels.com, but our founders are the same gentlemen who started Hotels.com before selling it to Expedia."
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:47 am

What I especially like about getaroom is that there is transparency (at least on the rooms I researched) about the dreadful "resort fees" only mentioned in passing on PL. While looking at the MGM INt. Luxury Suites, they are right up front about:
The hotel charges a mandatory resort fee of $20.00 per night, payable at time of booking. This fee includes wireless internet, free valet, 24-hour concierge & room service, 24-hour fitness center, daily newspaper at the front desk, access to The Signature and MGM Grand pool complex and lazy river ride.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
What I especially like about getaroom is that there is transparency (at least on the rooms I researched) about the dreadful "resort fees" only mentioned in passing on PL. While looking at the MGM INt. Luxury Suites, they are right up front about:
The hotel charges a mandatory resort fee of $20.00 per night, payable at time of booking. This fee includes wireless internet, free valet, 24-hour concierge & room service, 24-hour fitness center, daily newspaper at the front desk, access to The Signature and MGM Grand pool complex and lazy river ride.
I don't think they've done extensive research on this. I booked a room at a hotel near Disneyland that apparently has a resort fee (it's not a resort) of about $10, and there was no mention of the fee, or whether guests who book with getaroom have to pay it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:49 pm
In memoriam

Regardless of which service you book through, if a hotel charges a resort fee, you have to pay it unless you are specifically told the rate you booked includes the resort fee.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheryl
Regardless of which service you book through, if a hotel charges a resort fee, you have to pay it unless you are specifically told the rate you booked includes the resort fee.
Not exactly true. If you're told you don't have to pay it, you won't have to pay it.

But if you're not told ANYTHING about it (and even sometimes when you are) -- you don't actually know whether the hotel will try to collect the fee! This is especially true if your rate is otherwise prepaid. My experience with this, over many reservations, is about 50% of the time I don't pay when booked through a third party. When comparison shopping, I assume I'll have to pay the resort fee, but I often "get lucky" and don't. (And it's not like I challenge the fee; it just never shows up on my bill).
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:30 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by iahphx
Not exactly true. If you're told you don't have to pay it, you won't have to pay it.
You're nitpicking. How is that different than ordering a hamburger and it's prepared well done when you ordered it rare? You complain to your waiter or restaurant manager and he tells you that you won't be charged even though you thought you would be charged when you ordered it? Come on now! Please do not turn this topic into something that it isn't.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:33 am
In memoriam

And one more thing. You can't be charged a fee that you aren't specifically told about. That's against the law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.