What has happened to priceline.co.uk?

Old Aug 21, 11, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
What has happened to priceline.co.uk?

The title says it all really! When I try to access the UK version of priceline I get taken to booking.com instead. I know they are all the same company, but is Priceline UK no more? if so, is it possible to use the US site with a UK credit card? I use Priceline a lot, I will be sad if it has gone forever.
Old Aug 21, 11, 9:43 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the Online Booking and Bidding forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 21, 11, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Thanks! Didn't know this forum was here!
Old Sep 1, 11, 4:53 am

Programs: None
I believe plain old Priceline.com supports UK users. At least, "United Kingdom" is one of the listed countries for international Priceline bidders. Try your credit card and see if it works. Holler back with the results, please. I'd like to know.

Mike....
Old Sep 1, 11, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ihispanic View Post
I believe plain old Priceline.com supports UK users. At least, "United Kingdom" is one of the listed countries for international Priceline bidders. Try your credit card and see if it works. Holler back with the results, please. I'd like to know.

Mike....
I was recently told about that list of supported countries but when I go to Priceline it only shows U.S. and Canada so I asked the Priceline affiliate manager about it and he's checking with their developers because he also only gets the U.S. and Canada. So anyway, it's not there for everyone.
Old Sep 1, 11, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by saint_em View Post
The title says it all really! When I try to access the UK version of priceline I get taken to booking.com instead. I know they are all the same company, but is Priceline UK no more? if so, is it possible to use the US site with a UK credit card? I use Priceline a lot, I will be sad if it has gone forever.
Simply click on 'Name Your Own Price' within the Priceline section (top right) of the new web page and all is as before.

Incidentally I have used the US priceline.com website with a UK credit card (but obviously have to bid in $ rather than ). Only glitch is that you have to make your UK address fit the US format and put in a valid ZIP code (I used 90210!).

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 2, 11, 12:43 am
Suspended

The Priceline section of what? I'm really curious how other countries come up and I still haven't received an answer that I understand.
Old Sep 2, 11, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
The Priceline section of what? I'm really curious how other countries come up and I still haven't received an answer that I understand.
If you go to priceline.co.uk this now automatically redirects you to booking.com which recognises that you are a UK customer.

On this opening screen there is a Priceline logo to the top right of the page. Click on the Name Your Own Price wording and this then redirects you to the former Priceline UK site where you can bid in 's.
Old Sep 2, 11, 3:12 am
Suspended

OK but that's not what I was told. I was told the U.S. site has a list of other countries on the credit card entry page but it doesn't for me.
Old Sep 2, 11, 7:26 am

I bid (from the US) on several London dates in the middle of August. Was rejected on everything, but the bidding process went through, start to finish.
http://travela.priceline.com/hotels/...fclickid=HOTEL
Old Sep 2, 11, 7:27 am

My daughter was going to try to bid (on Europe) while there; does this mean she won't be able to?
Old Sep 2, 11, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy View Post
My daughter was going to try to bid (on Europe) while there; does this mean she won't be able to?
She can bid through the .co.uk site bidding in 's or the .com site bidding in $'s.

When bidding through the .co.uk site the Priceline system converts your bid from 's to $'s and bids in $'s (they seem to use the mid point Interbank rate). [You get a confirmation email from Priceline saying check your bid for $x.xx even though you have bid in 's]. The only advantage in using the .co.uk site (for me) is that I am billed in 's to a UK credit/debit card.

If you daughter is using a $ denominated credit/debit card she should use the .com site (otherwise if she uses the .co.uk site she will get billed in 's and may then get additional charges when converted to $'s on her credit/debit card).

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 2, 11, 8:39 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
OK but that's not what I was told. I was told the U.S. site has a list of other countries on the credit card entry page but it doesn't for me.
Sheryl, if you click the link I included, you'll see a screenshot of what I see - Priceline - supported countries.

If I log into my Priceline account and try to add a new card, I see a link near the billing address entry fields - "Address outside US/Canada?". When I click this, the entry fields change to what you see in the screenshot.

I live in Maryland, USA.

Mike....
Old Sep 2, 11, 9:16 am

Thanks, Yorkshire, I've passed on the info to her!
Old Sep 2, 11, 9:33 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
One observation that might help with this... Just now, I tried going into PL's NYOP system as if to bid on a hotel, and I only got U.S. and Canada as country options. If I go to book a hotel through their non-opaque system, it gives all of those countries that are listed. Perhaps that's why there's a discrepancy?

Search this Thread