FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Expedia unauthorised charges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1241264-expedia-unauthorised-charges.html)

peterlander Jul 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Expedia unauthorised charges

I looked through my credit card statement yesterday and found 9 charges of 4.50 each that I hadn't authorised or been informed of. When contacting Expedia they informed me that due to tighter profits with some airlines, they had introduced this fee. So I have 2 questions, 1) Has anyone else experienced this? 2) Is there another service out there as efficient as Expedia that I can switch to?
Pete

danielonn Jul 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Interesting

I booked my upcoming trip via Expedia and did not see any extra charges.Could the $4.50 be a booking fee? I don't think this would be plausible as there should be no additional booking fees. I would call your credit card company to see exactly what the charge is for.

If you call Expedia customer service inquire to see what the $4.50 is all about. I would print out your itinerary with payment details as backup to show that you did not authorize the extra $4.50. You should only pay the amount as shown on the receipt.

Good luck.

JohnnyColombia Jul 30, 2011 1:14 pm

I used Expedia last night and there was a booking fee of $7
This fee was included in the total payable though and I wouldnt imagine it would appear separately on my bank statement

peterlander Jul 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Resolved

I Guess I owe an apology to Expedia. The fee was in the overall price booked, they just invoice it separately when it appears on your credit card statement. My concern was that they added it later, which in comparison with other sites where I checked the same hotel / flight, would not have made them as competitive. This wasn't true, the overall price included their booking fee, and although not so obvious, when |I went back and checked it was in the final booking confirmation.They actually took the trouble to call me and explain and I'm back to working with them. I book around 2 to 3 flights and hotels a week, and it is usually very convenient doing it through them.

trek87 Aug 3, 2011 8:27 am

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 16828054)
I booked my upcoming trip via Expedia and did not see any extra charges.Could the $4.50 be a booking fee? I don't think this would be plausible as there should be no additional booking fees. I would call your credit card company to see exactly what the charge is for.

If you call Expedia customer service inquire to see what the $4.50 is all about. I would print out your itinerary with payment details as backup to show that you did not authorize the extra $4.50. You should only pay the amount as shown on the receipt.

Good luck.

Expedia charges booking fees for airline tickets that involve more than one airline, excluding codeshares and flights that are part of a vacation package:

http://support.expedia.com/app/answe.../booking%20fee

JohnnyColombia Aug 6, 2011 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 16828071)
I used Expedia last night and there was a booking fee of $7
This fee was included in the total payable though and I wouldnt imagine it would appear separately on my bank statement

OK my transaction above has now appeared on my bank statement and I too have the transaction broken out into the ticket fee and the booking fee. The total amount quoted on Expedia is the same though. The ticket was billed by LAN and this shows separately.

My itinerary was mutli-carrier LA/AV which would explain how come I got charged the $7. Nothing was hidden so far as I am concerned, Expedia stated the $7 booking fee in the payment page of their site and the totals add up to what it quoted me.

On top of that the whole itinerary worked out $190 than booking on LAN and about $90 cheaper than less appealing itineraries on other booking sites.

The total paid to Expedia & LAN was the same as the itinerary I had planned on ITA so Expedia gets a Johnny thumbs up ^