Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotwire not pre charging on car rentals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP

I've used Hotwire (and PL) for years for rental cars. On Hotwire, it has always been a pre pay. This time I reserved a car for next weekend in Miami and was not charged up front. It was a typical Hotwire rate but the reservation said pay the car rental agency directly at pick up time. I was not even asked for a credit card to guarantee the reservation.

Is this something new?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I guess so..I just did a test booking for PDX weekend in Feb,
and sure enough...no credit card...cancellable anytime...nice !
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
So it was a red color price (not grey) and did not require a prepay? Interesting.

Rasheed
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:14 pm
B1

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I've used Hotwire (and PL) for years for rental cars. On Hotwire, it has always been a pre pay. This time I reserved a car for next weekend in Miami and was not charged up front. It was a typical Hotwire rate but the reservation said pay the car rental agency directly at pick up time. I was not even asked for a credit card to guarantee the reservation.

Is this something new?
Was the agency disclosed prior to your accepting the offer? If so, then it was simply an Expedia reservation. If not, then is it cancellable since they don't have your credit card information. If it can be cancelled, you can keep checking and see if the rate goes down.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by B1
Was the agency disclosed prior to your accepting the offer? If so, then it was simply an Expedia reservation. If not, then is it cancellable since they don't have your credit card information. If it can be cancelled, you can keep checking and see if the rate goes down.
It was a grey color selection and yes the agency was disclosed once I clicked on the icon. $11 plus taxes per day for a compact out of MIA is very typically for a pre pay Hotwire/PL rate. In fact, for this time of year it would be even a very low rate for Hotwire/PL.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It was a grey color selection and yes the agency was disclosed once I clicked on the icon. $11 plus taxes per day for a compact out of MIA is very typically for a pre pay Hotwire/PL rate. In fact, for this time of year it would be even a very low rate for Hotwire/PL.
That is a rate you could get on almost any website, including the car rental company's own site (the gray selections).
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:29 pm

Hotwire car rental listings in red are "opaque". You don't learn which rental company it is until after puchase. Red listing rentals are noncancellable and nonrefundable.

Hotwire car rental listings in gray are retail. If you click through you can view the name of the rental company prior to purchase. Gray listing rentals are NOT prepaid and are cancellable. Gray listings aren't discounted. The rates are the same as you'll find on other websites.

Hotwire offers a retail (gray) listing when no rental company has given them discounted opaque inventory for your desired dates and car class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.