Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

does Expedia have a 24-hour refund policy on plane tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does Expedia have a 24-hour refund policy on plane tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bad info. The DOT rule only applies to tickets purchased from a carrier. It does not apply to tickets purchased from anybody else such as a TA or an opaque third-party vendor such as Expedia/Orbitz.

Nonetheless, these non-carriers are free to maintain a cancellation/refund policy as they see fit.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Bad info. The DOT rule only applies to tickets purchased from a carrier. It does not apply to tickets purchased from anybody else such as a TA or an opaque third-party vendor such as Expedia/Orbitz.

Nonetheless, these non-carriers are free to maintain a cancellation/refund policy as they see fit.
Correct, but most travel agents (whether online or brick-and-mortar) are keenly aware that maintaining a cancellation fee during the 24h period has the potential to present some extremely bad optics, especially when the amount they stand to lose really isn't that high (as far as costs of business, not touching the revenue standpoint)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:33 am
aeo

Originally Posted by roymustang
Correct, but most travel agents (whether online or brick-and-mortar) are keenly aware that maintaining a cancellation fee during the 24h period has the potential to present some extremely bad optics, especially when the amount they stand to lose really isn't that high (as far as costs of business, not touching the revenue standpoint)
The problem I'm having is that during my booking process Expedia prominently claimed that I could refund my purchase within 24 hours, after which time standard flight rules apply, and now is refusing to refund the purchase, citing that the ticket was non-refundable, even though I canceled within the 24 hour window. Their email to me confirming my cancellation even explicitly states that I'll be receiving a refund. I get that the DOT rules /airline policies may not require a 24 hour cancel/refund policy, but Expedia itself sure offered one and is not making good on it. This strikes me as really deceptive. Suggestions for recourse?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by aeo
Is Expedia's 24 hour refund policy set out in its terms or otherwise explicitly stated on its site? I booked a ticket through them, and at every point in the booking process there was a pop up saying that the ticket was fully refundable if canceled within 24 hours. I canceled within 24 hours and the phone agent told me I would get a refund. Expedia sent me a cancellation email saying I would get a refund. But now they're refusing the refund, saying the ticket was non-refundable. My credit card issuer for some reason is siding with Expedia even though I sent them screen shots of the booking process and the email notice I got from Expedia. It would be helpful to show them a written policy, but I can't find one on Expedia's site. This is all very frustrating.
Hi there. I was wondering if you had any solution yet about this problem. I also cancelled and booked another flight on Expedia in 24 hours and also got email notice beside verbal confirmation of agent over the phone, but not sure if they will do the same with my refund. My cancelled booking was with Lufthansa and they definitely have refund policy no matter what in 24 hours but after reading forum posts I have doubts about my refund from Expedia.Lufthansa assures that they refund, but if bought via Expedia you can only solve it with them. I hope I can get my refund within a couple of weeks as the phone agency told.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:28 pm

Yes - i Have canceled my expedia booking before.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mangosalad
Yes - i Have canceled my expedia booking before.
Hi.when did you do that? And can you please tell me about the process? I am told that my refund will be done but it might take around 8 weeks. I hope they tell the truth...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.