Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Book on airline website or Orbitz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

I need to book a r/t flight from TPE-MNL. What are the advantages/disadvantages in booking with Orbitz instead of directly with the Philippine Airlines website? The prices appear to be exactly the same and priced in USD.

Are there more difficulties if there are irrops?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you look on FT, you will see that there are dozens (if not more) threads about the finger-pointing which goes on in IRROPS or when you need changes and you have not booked directly through the carrier's channels (website or phone).

Especially when the price is exactly the same, there is no reason whatsoever to add an additional party to the transaction. Simpler is almost always better.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Thumbs up Second

Originally Posted by Often1
If you look on FT, you will see that there are dozens (if not more) threads about the finger-pointing which goes on in IRROPS or when you need changes and you have not booked directly through the carrier's channels (website or phone).

Especially when the price is exactly the same, there is no reason whatsoever to add an additional party to the transaction. Simpler is almost always better.
^
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
That is way too dismissive. Foreign airlines can be very tough to contact by phone when in remote locations. Orbitz et al. do not suffer from that. This is a not inconsiderable factor to weigh.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Always book directly with the airline. Much less hassle when something goes wrong. Never add a 3rd party for the heck of it.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by Leopold
That is way too dismissive. Foreign airlines can be very tough to contact by phone when in remote locations. Orbitz et al. do not suffer from that. This is a not inconsiderable factor to weigh.
An excellent point. One does need to note one's exit routes.

In my case, I'm sort of phone phobic while in foreign countries. I find it much easier to communicate via email. But I learned the hard way that www.cheaptickets.com only communicates via phone. Since I wasn't carrying a cell phone, I got a tough lesson in Bari, Italy. Where to locate pay phones, and how to operate them. Ain't nuthin like US phones.

I do generally believe in removing middle-men when possible, but middle-men can earn their money. I guess the Orbitz vs. Philippine situation needs to be specifically examined.

Romelle
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Book with the airline if the price is the same.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Silver
Go with the airline, easier to deal with changes.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by daeagle
Go with the airline, easier to deal with changes.
Way too broad a statement. It depends on the airline and where the passenger will be when a change is most likely to be needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.