Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Any experience with getawayasap.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass

Has anyone ever heard of this website? http://getawayasap.com/

Was taken to it via a Mobissimo search. They have an airfare I'd love to take advantage of, but I've never heard of them. Thought I'd see if anyone can offer any personal experience with them.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
no experience but the domain is owned by

http://alliancetravel.com/corporate_info/aboutus.html
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:33 am

GETAWAYasap.com

I booked a ticket recently and had to change it. It takes a while to connect to their costumer service dept but that has been my experience with all the internet consolidators. Good luck.

Last edited by frequentflycat; Aug 27, 2010 at 4:13 pm
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:09 pm

Addendum to a previous posting RE: GETAWAYasap.com

See posting listed above.

Last edited by frequentflycat; Aug 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by frequentflycat
I booked a ticket recently and had to change it. It takes a while to connect to their costumer service dept but that has been my experience with all the internet consolidators. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like overall a non-negative experience.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:28 pm

Quite ok

I have just bought the ticket from them between Atlanta - Singapore (Delta, September 6-17). They offered it for 1480 while it was 2000+ at delta.com (and also other websites). I got the e-ticket after 5-6 hours. The data is now in delta.com and the charge was 1480 on my credit card.

So, so far I think it is a pretty nice deal. Not sure if there will be any surprise though.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:12 am

I would like to know too. I found airfare of $1439 rt Lax - Syd.

ETA: I bit the bullet and booked with them. Two hours later, I got my E-ticket and my cc was charged. I called the airline and they confirm my information is in the system.

However, my card was charged $1439 and $25.

I called customer service who told me that they charge me $1414 and $25. (Why two separate transaction?) I will checking my account daily to watch out for any suspicious activity.

Last edited by Deafchick; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:31 pm

Take a pass

Tried booking with getawayASAP.com last night and thought it was a done deal. Not so much. A getawayASAP rep called me late in the day to tell me that the Delta flight was not valid for the price I booked for and that they had to cancel. After searching for flights again on Mobissimo.com, found yet a few flights still around the same price. I chose to book with Vayama on a marginally higher priced flight. Waiting for this one to process. If this doesn't go through, I'm calling Mobissimo.com a sham.

Conclusion so far: getawayASAP.com - don't waste your time!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:11 pm

getawayASAP not recommended!

Don't work with getawayASAP. They billed my card TWICE for a reservation that failed. It took 5 days for over $1100 to be released before I could book a different flight. I was not able to reach them by phone. When I realized that they were in the same city as I (San Francisco), I went to their office and rang their doorbell. (No signs by the way saying that it is them). They didn't answer, but I could see people inside. Then they covered up the viewing port with something. I knocked and rang for another 10 minutes. Finally, someone reluctantly came to the door. At first she said she couldn't help me until I started in with threats. Then she sat me down and took down the relevant information. In the end however, nothing could be done. She kept saying that it was my bank that needed to release the funds, and the bank (who I trusted more in this situation) claimed that in fact it was getawayASAP that needed to cancel the transactions.

They are incompetent and sketchy and operate under several different names. Don't take a chance with these people if you can help it.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:05 pm

Exclamation Warning Don't use getawayasap!

I was attracted by the lower prices and booked a flight from Oakland to Austin using getawayasap.com. There was a stop over in long beach. When I get to the airport I find out the connection they booked was not on the same day. The dates for the connection are NOT printed on the ticket. Too bad says getawayasap. It's a legal layover. JetBlue did everything the could to get me home even though this was not their fault. Ticket agent said this was common. -- Be wary of these ticket scams. Cost me an additional $110 to get home.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How long was the "legal layover" that they booked for you? Was it something like last flight in of the day and first flight out the next morning?

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
I will throw my two cents' in.
I booked a flight with Getawayasap.com from NYC to EZE in December. Fare was on TAM, $760 total, which was a good $400 lower than every other website (and I know a lot of websites!). I bough the ticket a full five-months before departure because my dates were very specific and weren't going to change.
There was absolutely no issue with the ticketing, ticket was issued promptly, the charge on my CC was correct. I got a PNR number that I could check. I discovered that one of the flights (GIG-JFK) was on a fare basis that didn't get any miles on UA--but that's not Getaway's fault, nor is it unheard of when you buy longhaul consolidator fares.
I should say that another friend of mine bought a ticket from EZE to JFK and back returning with me to the U.S. and then flying back months later. She chose the same flights I was on.
The fun started however when TAM made a schedule change on their EZE-GIG flights which affected my itinerary. My friend, who had the same itinerary, was emailed by her booking site with the change. I was not. Never, ever!
They never informed me of the change. I did discover it by using my PNR on checkmyflights.com
I then tried to get the flights changed since the scheduling change made me lose 3 hours in EZE on a trip that was already very very short.
Getting in touch with Getaway via the phone is impossible.
They don't answer phones.
Emailing them takes about 4 business days for a response.
They did respond saying that yes, since this is an involuntary schedule change I was entitled to get a on later, more expensive, flight from EZE for free. I just had to do it via TAM. Now that seems to me to be very bizarre since Getaway sold me the ticket and in all my experience traveling I was always told to get any changes done through my travel agent not the carrier itself.
I called TAM and they refused to help me saying that the fare was available and I could change the flight for free, but I had to do it through Getaway.
I tried to get in touch with Getaway again, but of course by the time they got back to me the fare had disappeared and I was welcome to pay $300 to change the flight.
Overall it was very frustrating and I would really not like to deal with them ever again. As a matter of fact, I made a decision not to buy tickets from them every again.
On that note, I also found that TAM's travel product itself had vastly deteriorated in the two years since I flew them the first time in October 2010.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:20 am

I realize I'm digging up an old thread but....does anyone have any experience with earning miles from trips bought through this company? I'm looking at a trip on BA, thus oneworld/AAdvantage (in my case)...

Also any recent experience with their services?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.