Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Justin026
The "resort fee" phenomenon is definitely a growing problem. While I have yet to see a charge that is not being assessed to other customers (which is the PL policy), it is starting to creep into hotels that are not by any stretch resorts (Las Vegas Monte Carlo, for example, where it does not even cover internet).
Resort fees are also charged by the Station and the Boyd properties.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by B1
When you log onto Priceline and select the hotels option, a location box says "City or Airport". If you enter an airport code, it simply gives you the city, whereas on Expedia you get airport area listings. The Priceline airport code option is misleading for those who would be wanting an airport.
One other confusing thing here is that now when you go to Name Your Own Price there are three tabs. One is Map View, that shows location of hotels on the open site, another is a list of hotels on the open site, and one is the bidding page. This is a first for me - Priceline showing which hotels it offers on the open site when you are on a bidding page. Is this new? The map view doesn't show zones, In order to map the zone you need to click on each one from the bidding page.
And if you do click on each hotel you find that as of now there is only one 3* hotel shown in the Bloomington area (Doubletree) which happens to be quite near the airport. Knowing that there are over 20 1*, 2*, and 2 1/2* hotels spread around Bloomington and therefor that it is not "safe" to bid those quality levels if one wants an airport location, I think the OP was right-on in bidding at the 3* level. How she got the 2 1/2* lodging is a ?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:31 am
B1

Originally Posted by rmiller774
And if you do click on each hotel you find that as of now there is only one 3* hotel shown in the Bloomington area (Doubletree) which happens to be quite near the airport. Knowing that there are over 20 1*, 2*, and 2 1/2* hotels spread around Bloomington and therefor that it is not "safe" to bid those quality levels if one wants an airport location, I think the OP was right-on in bidding at the 3* level. How she got the 2 1/2* lodging is a ?
That's the point in my previous post. The map tab has nothing at all to do with the bidding tab. It would seem logical that the hotels on the map tab reflect the bidding tab - but they don't all - just the other (open) Priceline mode, which has no correlation with the bidding site. Priceline deserves some serious criticism for this confusing "innovation". I suspect they will be getting many similar complaints. This means once again that Priceline bidding has a lot of traps that are a result of the current design of the site. The deals are still there but it's easy to assume the site is logical where it's not - and as a result bid for what you don't want to get.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
Originally Posted by MARINFLL
I've used priceline (the "name your own price" option) for many years, and usually am very pleased with the result. I have never been given a hotel out of a zone when bidding for a particlar zone, but you can get in a part of the zone you desire less (but you know that when bidding). Generally, I have been very happy and I have, on average, saved about 45% on every hotel booking.

I'm thinking that perhaps you were confused about what zone you initially bid, either that or maybe you didn't use the name your own price option and just booked a hotel through their regular travel site. Either way, I suggest you spend at least 15-20 minutes researching your bids first using some of the websites listed, and the hotel sites themselves. If you do your reserach, I believe you'll be happy with the results.

M
Lol. Yes, I'm an idiot who spends 100 nights traveling around the world writing about travel, but gets "confused" when looking at maps!

Every once in a while I get reminded why I don't go on this site often because I run into one of those with a patronizing attitude. I do want to thank everyone else for the realistic discussion.

The bottom line is that -- even though Priceline admitted their fault and I may be right under the contract -- they know I'm not going to waste my time and money going to court over this (I've already exhausted speaking and writing to supervisors). What they didn't count on was the fact that I am a writer and have already cost them more than what a refund would have!

I think we've beaten this topic, but thanks again to all those supporters and legitimate arguers for a lively conversation!

Marcia
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:20 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Marcia, I'm sorry if you feel like some of the responses you have gotten are "patronizing", but I'm not sure you are giving us enough information to be helpful. You are stating that PL "admitted their fault", but let me review the information you have given us:

-You bid for a 3* hotel in the Bloomington zone
-You received the Country Inn and Suites Bloomington Normal West, 923 Maple Hill Road, and yes, I would agree with you that the hotel is a questionable 3* at best
-Looking at a Google Map, as scruffy pointed out, this hotel is located on the west side of PL's Bloomington zone (in fact, it looks like it might be in or near "Bloomington Heights", but I'm not from there, so not sure). But it is within the zone that PL outlines on their map.

Am I missing something? You say that PL "admitted their fault", but I'm not seeing what fault they made. Without further details, I'm afraid that you're doing more damage to your reputation as a writer than you are to PL's reputation as a travel booking service. Now if there is something else that would help us to understand your plight a little better, I think you'd garner some more useful (and less "patronizing") responses.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by lo2e

-You received the Country Inn and Suites Bloomington Normal West, 923 Maple Hill Road, and yes, I would agree with you that the hotel is a questionable 3* at best
-Looking at a Google Map, as scruffy pointed out, this hotel is located on the west side of PL's Bloomington zone (in fact, it looks like it might be in or near "Bloomington Heights", but I'm not from there, so not sure). But it is within the zone that PL outlines on their map.
I too went the map route, and agree with lo2e's analysis, based on all the facts we have available here. And also wonder if I am missing something?

You've mentioned being a travel writer a few times here. I'm curious as to where your material appears? If you are willing to share that information?

Romelle
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
Marcia, I'm sorry if you feel like some of the responses you have gotten are "patronizing", but I'm not sure you are giving us enough information to be helpful. You are stating that PL "admitted their fault", but let me review the information you have given us:

Am I missing something? You say that PL "admitted their fault", but I'm not seeing what fault they made. Without further details, I'm afraid that you're doing more damage to your reputation as a writer than you are to PL's reputation as a travel booking service. Now if there is something else that would help us to understand your plight a little better, I think you'd garner some more useful (and less "patronizing") responses.
I was only responding to one person about being patronizing-- I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. I think everyone else was helpful and reasonable.

Priceline admitted the hotel was "just a tiny bit out of the area," but as I said, I can't force them to pay up.

Marcia
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:31 am
Original Poster

And... I write for a dozen places on and off line, but http://www.WineAndSpiritsTravel.com is my column for Examiner and I'm at http://www.WineAndSpiritsTravel.blogspot.com.

Again, I think 99% of FlyerTalk is wonderful, but every once in awhile someone comes in with something that makes it sound like we're all idiots except him!

Anyway, I think it's a good time to close this thread. Happy New Year and safe travels,
Marcia
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by MarciaLF

Priceline admitted the hotel was "just a tiny bit out of the area," but as I said, I can't force them to pay up.

Marcia
For a company with strict rules like PL, "just a little bit out of the area" sounds like a little bit pregnant to me. Either they sold you what they offered, or they did not and if not, they should make you whole.

I'm with you on this one-I'd be pissed too, and it's great that you're in a position to get PL's attention.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
In all honesty, if you have something in writing that shows Priceline admitted they were wrong... I would simply dispute with the credit card company. Priceline cannot say they were wrong... and then charge you to make it right.

I know I would not accept this if it is as you say... let your credit card company do the work.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:37 pm

I have used PL since their early days and i think its usually a very good deal. However, once in a while you do end up with a hotel thats not up to the rating. Overall its a very good value.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Another way to think about it

<intro> I am a gigantic fan of priceline - it has literally changed how I travel. Only once or twice have I ever not been able to get a deeply discounted hotel through the site. Generally I have been able to either stay at a solid 2.5-3.5 star hotels for a very low rate, or stay at an upscale (4* and above) for roughly what I would have otherwise spent on a ho-hum property (still generally under $100 a night). I stayed at a top hotel in San Francisco in a room running $600 a night for just $120 a night. Most of my friends paid double to stay at a lower quality hotel. I pretty much only rent cars through priceline, usually at a 70% discount from other so-called "discount" sites.

Priceline is amazing.</intro>

The problem is they're all-too-willing to take your money if you overbid. You must thoughtfully research ahead of time - it's particularly important to be aware of crappy properties at the various star levels. There are some cases where it simply makes more sense to take a guaranteed 2.5* property on expedia vs. risking getting the crummy 4* property (or the nice 4* property with one '70s wing they send all the priceliners to). South Beach comes to mind, for instance.

Marcia's experience was frustrating, but she still got ~75% of what she paid for. It wasn't the case of some nightmare property with mold and the like. It was a dinkier than expected hotel located at the edge of town. FWIW I'm very careful about 3* bids on priceline because the range in quality is vast.

But if you've had experiences like I have (substantially lower overall spend for better hotels), the occasional blip in the road is entirely forgivable because I've come out so far ahead in the long run. If Marcia hasn't (due either to not bidding properly or just tending to stay in places with very little discounting) then Priceline probably isn't a good choice. But I suspect for the majority of us, we've profited handsomely from priceline and it would take a lot to go back to the old way of doing things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.