FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Upgrades on AA Codeshares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/999876-upgrades-aa-codeshares.html)

challett Sep 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Upgrades on AA Codeshares

I've been wondering what are the easiest OW Partners to upgrade on.

As an AA flyer I know that I can't use AA miles/stickers/SWUs to upgrade non AA-metal. However, I also know that some OW partners will let you use their miles to upgrade an AA codeshare on their metal. So with that said, what are people's experiences with this? Fare class restrictions, etc?

I've compiled a list of possible codeshare upgrades based on the various FFP websites, but I would love to have some firsthand knowledge as the rules & restrictions aren't always comprehensive.

challett Sep 28, 2009 10:05 pm

AA - Using AsiaMiles:
-AA flights in fare classes Y, B, and H are eligible for Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards.
-AA flights in fare classes J, D, and I are eligible for Business Class to First Class Upgrade Awards.

BA - Using Executive Club Miles:
-No restrictions.

Using AsiaMiles:
-BA flights in fare classes Y, B, and H are eligible for Economy to Premium Economy Class Upgrade Awards.
-BA flights in fare classes W, T, and E are eligible for Premium Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards.
-BA flights in fare classes J, C, D, I, and R are eligible for Business Class to First Class Upgrade Awards.
-Upgrade Award is not applicable for Economy to Business Class upgrade.

CX - Using AsiaMiles:
-CX & KA flights in fare classes Y, B, H, and K are eligible for Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards up to 10 days prior to departure.
-CX & KA flights in fare classes J, C, D, and I are eligible for Business Class to First Class Upgrade Awards up to 10 days prior to departure.

AY - Cannot upgrade Codeshares.

IB - Cannot upgrade Codeshares.

JL - Using JAL Mileage Bank:
-Tickets with booking classes J/C/D/Y/B/H/K/L/W printed in the CLASS column of tickets are upgradable.

LA - Cannot upgrade Codeshares.

MA - Cannot upgrade Codeshares

QF - Cannot upgrade Codeshares.

RJ - Using Royal Plus Miles:
-Upgrade is only on Tickets with booking Classes Y , H , K , M, and B.
-Upgrades are not available on Iraqi Destinations.

[B]Disclaimer: I do not have any personal experience with upgrading codeshares as outlined above. I have simply tried to collect data and will have to rely upon other people's firsthand experiences.

challett Sep 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Reserved

challett Sep 28, 2009 10:06 pm

And so forth

ijgordon Sep 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Yeah, this doesn't really have anything to do with AAdvantage, since it seems as if you'd be trying to upgrade AA-marketed (but non-AA-operated) flights using the FF miles of the operating carriers. Most of us here don't have very many AsiaMiles, Qantas Points, etc.

challett Sep 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 12453718)
Yeah, this doesn't really have anything to do with AAdvantage, since it seems as if you'd be trying to upgrade AA-marketed (but non-AA-operated) flights using the FF miles of the operating carriers. Most of us here don't have very many AsiaMiles, Qantas Points, etc.

That makes sense. I was looking at it from the perspective on an AA flyer trying to upgrade on OW partners. As far as miles in other programs are concerned, I was thinking of mileage xfers from *wood, etc.

brp Sep 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by challett (Post 12453739)
That makes sense. I was looking at it from the perspective on an AA flyer [sic] trying to upgrade on OW partners. As far as miles in other programs are concerned, I was thinking of mileage xfers from *wood, etc.

But one would not be upgrading on these OW partners using AA miles. So, the fact that one is an "AA flier" is not really relevant to the discussion.

Cheers.

challett Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 12453773)
But one would not be upgrading on these OW partners using AA miles. So, the fact that one is an "AA flier" is not really relevant to the discussion.

Cheers.

No, I agree... I was just pointing out where I was initially coming from.

martin33 Sep 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by challett (Post 12453646)
I know that you can't use AA miles/stickers/SWUs to upgrade non AA-metal. However, I also know that some OW partners will let you use their miles to upgrade an AA codeshare on their metal. So with that said, what are people's experiences with this? Fare class restrictions, etc?

AA - Using AsiaMiles:
-AA flights in fare classes Y, B, and H are eligible for Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards.
-AA flights in fare classes J, D, and I are eligible for Business Class to First Class Upgrade Awards.

BA - Using AsiaMiles:
-BA flights in fare classes Y, B, and H are eligible for Economy to Premium Economy Class Upgrade Awards.
-BA flights in fare classes W, T, and E are eligible for Premium Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards.
-BA flights in fare classes J, C, D, I, and R are eligible for Business Class to First Class Upgrade Awards.
-Upgrade Award is not applicable for Economy to Business Class upgrade.

CX - Using AsiaMiles:
-CX & KA flights in fare classes Y, B, H, and K are eligible for Economy to Business Class Upgrade Awards up to 10 days prior to departure.
-CX & KA flights in fare classes J, C, D, and I are eligible for Business Class to First Class Upgrade Awards up to 10 days prior to departure.

there's nothing in that list to do with codeshares. you can upgrade any AA own-metal trip using AsiaMiles (round-trips only, no one-way redemptions), provided the correct booking code has been used and the correct upgrade inventory is available.

if you want to compile a list of award redemptions on AA using other programs, that's one thing. it's not AAdvantage miles, of course, but it does hinge on AAdvantage award inventory availability...

if you want to list all the ways redemptions on all oneworld partners can happen, that's awfully complex and not very American-specific.

challett Sep 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by martin33 (Post 12453835)
there's nothing in that list to do with codeshares. you can upgrade any AA own-metal trip using AsiaMiles (round-trips only, no one-way redemptions), provided the correct booking code has been used and the correct upgrade inventory is available.

It was not my original intention to include AA in the list above, but as I started compiling it it seemed silly to not (assuming this thread moves to the OW forum).

And those programs listed above do not explicitly exclude upgrading codeshare flights. That is to say that I could be flying an AA-coded CX flight and use AsiaMiles to upgrade. (I think - hence why I'm asking for input).

if you want to compile a list of award redemptions on AA using other programs, that's one thing. it's not AAdvantage miles, of course, but it does hinge on AAdvantage award inventory availability...
This is not my intention.

if you want to list all the ways redemptions on all oneworld partners can happen, that's awfully complex and not very American-specific.
I agree this is not very AA specific, and had I thought through my forum choice more carefully we wouldn't be having this discussion. :)

With that in mind, I am only interested in the various upgrade awards on other airlines codeshare flights.

imagineertobe Sep 29, 2009 1:30 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 12453773)

Cheers.

FYI, the Oxford American Dictionary lists both spellings as acceptable.

challett Sep 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by challett (Post 12453739)
That makes sense. I was looking at it from the perspective on an AA flyer trying to upgrade on OW partners. As far as miles in other programs are concerned, I was thinking of mileage xfers from *wood, etc.

Originally Posted by imagineertobe (Post 12454241)
FYI, the Oxford American Dictionary lists both spellings as acceptable.

Funny that you caught my "spelling mistake" but not the typo right before. :)
Guess I can't be perfect all the time.