Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of Date/Time/Carrier changes. Phrase now used is changes to ticketed points
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QRs Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by beardoc
Is it just something I missed or has a very large MPM routing table been added to the xONEx fares? I was looking at the routing page in EF for the xONEx fare ex-JNB and discovered a massive MPM table with 499 options!
I rarely look at the RTW routing tables in EF, so I had not seen this before
I checked on the historical routing rules, and they were there back in Feb-2017
I have no idea what they mean. Perhaps @Calchas or @JAXBA can explain
As an example, here is the the first of the 499 items:
1. ZA-*O-210/220-*O-210/220-*O-210/220-*O-210/220-*O-210/220-
*O-000/140/160-*O-000/140/160-*O-000/140/160-*O-000/140/
160-*O-*PA-*O-*PA-*O-*PA-170-*O-001/002-*O-*XU-*O-*XU-*O-
*XU-*O-*XU-*O-*XU-*O-340-*O-ZA
I also checked the routing rule for the Global Explorer (which IS an MPM-based ticket) and its routing rule is quite simple:
/ROUND THE WORLD/
MUST NOT EXCEED MPM 34000
JAXBA likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I rarely look at the RTW routing tables in EF, so I had not seen this before
I checked on the historical routing rules, and they were there back in Feb-2017
I have no idea what they mean. Perhaps @Calchas or @JAXBA can explain
As an example, here is the the first of the 499 items:

I also checked the routing rule for the Global Explorer (which IS an MPM-based ticket) and its routing rule is quite simple:
I only know that *O means oneworld airlines. I believe the numbers represent clusters of countries, but I don't know what each number means. GDSs are in the process of making autoprice possible for oneworld RTW tickets. The systems need to be able to validate that the booked itinerary is in accordance with RTW rules, so these are instructions for the pricing system to read. Perhaps xGLOBxx doesn't have everything in the routing written yet. Many other components in the fare rule also dictate what is possible and what not, so routing is just one of them. MPM means max permitted mileage.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I only know that *O means oneworld airlines. I believe the numbers represent clusters of countries, but I don't know what each number means. GDSs are in the process of making autoprice possible for oneworld RTW tickets. The systems need to be able to validate that the booked itinerary is in accordance with RTW rules, so these are instructions for the pricing system to read. Perhaps xGLOBxx doesn't have everything in the routing written yet. Many other components in the fare rule also dictate what is possible and what not, so routing is just one of them. MPM means max permitted mileage.
Yes, *O is for oneworld. Sabre instituted auto pricing for RTW fares years ago for Sky Team, then Star and finally oneworld last year.

EDIT: The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs

Last edited by skunker; Feb 6, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
GDSs are in the process of making autoprice possible for oneworld RTW tickets. The systems need to be able to validate that the booked itinerary is in accordance with RTW rules, so these are instructions for the pricing system to read.
I agree
JAXBA likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Ah, good - hopefully this means I can keep on doing my 60,000 mile DONE4 itineraries!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Is there a way to take advantage of rule (4)(e)(2) to add an extra visit to Asia (or another continent) on a DONE5 such as JNB-DOH-ADL-SYD-SIN-HKG-DFW-SAN-DFW-JFK-LAX-LHR-LIS-MAD-DOH-CPT?

Code:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and
Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Is there a way to take advantage of rule (4)(e)(2) to add an extra visit to Asia (or another continent) on a DONE5 such as JNB-DOH-ADL-SYD-SIN-HKG-DFW-SAN-DFW-JFK-LAX-LHR-LIS-MAD-DOH-CPT?

Code:
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and
Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East for travel to/from/via Africa.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa.
Your itinerary is a valid one
And in fact you can actually visit Asia twice (not just 'fly over it' DOH-ADL), such as having a stop in Hong Kong between DOH and ADL
JNB-DOH-HKG-ADL-SYD-SIN-HKG-DFW-SAN-DFW-JFK-LAX-LHR-LIS-MAD-DOH-CPT
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:25 am

Thanks to Himeno for alerting us the new version, in another thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28691021-post2103.html

In addition the inclusion of AA premium economy booking class, which Himeno spotted, I have spotted the following (IMHO significant) change:

Rule 4(e), which concerns allowed second visits to continents, has been rewritten

Previous Version:
New Version:
  1. Two permitted in North America.
  2. Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
  3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
Discussion:
  1. The wording is simpler, especially for dot point #3
  2. The words "when one is a transfer without stopover" have been removed. Therefore stopovers are now allowed on both visits to the continent
  3. The second dot point now states that one of the two visits must be for travel SWP-Europe/Middle East. Previously that restriction was not there (I personally have had a second visit which was a transfer without stopover between Nth America and SWP). So this previously valid itinerary would now be invalid ...Africa-Asia-SWP-Asia-Nth America...
Your itinerary is a valid one
And in fact you can actually visit Asia twice (not just 'fly over it' DOH-ADL), such as having a stop in Hong Kong between DOH and ADL
JNB-DOH-HKG-ADL-SYD-SIN-HKG-DFW-SAN-DFW-JFK-LAX-LHR-LIS-MAD-DOH-CPT
Cool, thank you! Is there a way to add the second Asia visit near the end (after LAX-LHR)? I guess not, since I wouldn't be stopping in Asia to/from Southwest Pacific.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Cool, thank you! Is there a way to add the second Asia visit near the end (after LAX-LHR)? I guess not, since I wouldn't be stopping in Asia to/from Southwest Pacific.
No. That would violate two rules (at least)
  1. The second visit would have to be in conjunction with travel from Europe/Middle East to South West Pacific (or v.v.); and your routing would be Europe/Middle East - Asia - Africa
  2. Rule regarding continuous travel Eastbound or Westbound
    4(b) Travel must be in a continuous forward direction between TC1 - TC2 - TC3.
    Your itinerary would be TC2->TC3->TC1->TC2->TC3->TC2
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: QF WP
Hi...my proposed itinerary is HND-LHR-ATH-LHR-INN-LHR-DFW-MIA-LIR-MIA-JFK-HKG-MEL-BNE-MEL-SYD-HND....From my reading of the rules I think its legal to start in Tokyo (departure to Europe ) and then fly to HKG from JFK before deparing to MEL ( SW Pacific )...The one world tool says this itinerary is valid but wont price it unsurprisingly !!!....Can someone please confirm the validity of this itinerary....thanks in advance
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I believe you may have difficulty getting that ticketed, although others have succeeded in the past with similar stuff if HKG is just a transit. I don't recall reports of success in such cases if HKG is a stopover, but I'm a bit rusty on these things.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by pyffii

Hi...my proposed itinerary is HND-LHR-ATH-LHR-INN-LHR-DFW-MIA-LIR-MIA-JFK-HKG-MEL-BNE-MEL-SYD-HND....
Looks ok to me. Why don't you call the AA rtw desk and see what they say. I just recently issued a rtw from HND with them and they were very efficient and helpful.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by pyffii
Hi...my proposed itinerary is HND-LHR-ATH-LHR-INN-LHR-DFW-MIA-LIR-MIA-JFK-HKG-MEL-BNE-MEL-SYD-HND....From my reading of the rules I think its legal to start in Tokyo (departure to Europe ) and then fly to HKG from JFK before deparing to MEL ( SW Pacific )...The one world tool says this itinerary is valid but wont price it unsurprisingly !!!....Can someone please confirm the validity of this itinerary....thanks in advance
Likely I'm missing something. To me, the rule
Two [intercontinental departures and intercontinental arrivals] permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East
requires that the travel between Australia and Europe not go through the Americas.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Received the following update from TPECX regarding oneworld RTW or circle trip products:

- QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv) [e. g.]:

QF011

國際線[international]
SYD-JFK
適用[applicable]

國內線[domestic]
LAX-JFK
不適用[not applicable]
I have not been following all the rule updates, but I believe in the past QF's LAX-JFK or v. v. can be booked as long as a QF flight to or from Australia also exists in the itinerary. Now it seems only SYD-(LAX)-JFK or v. v. is bookable as one segment.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

2018-Mar-05 New Version of the Rule Sheet

2018-Mar-05 New Version of the Rule Sheet

@ernestnywang just beat me to this

Rule 4(j) has been amended

Previously:
4(j) Travel on any AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/MH/NU/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M codeshare service operated by AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/MH/NU/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M is permitted.

Other codeshare services not permitted with the exception of QF Codeshare services operated by Jetstar (JQ).

Additionally...
Now:
4(j) Travel on any AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/MH/NU/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M codeshare service operated by AA/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/MH/NU/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M is permitted.

Other codeshare services not permitted with the exception of QF Codeshare services operated by Jetstar (JQ).

Additionally...
The only other change found by diffchecker is that Air Wisconsin has been dropped as an affiliate airline of AA
ernestnywang and Calchas like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.