Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
what is the actual rule? it seems GDS should be the authority?
https://www.oneworld.com/documents/1...9-d346ec820edf

the new rule is up...
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't usually read the PDF so forgive me but ....
10. PERMITTED COMBINATIONS
Add-ons not permitted
Combinations with other fares not permitted
I thought side trips were permitted with no restrictions?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I suspect the intent is that other tickets should not be combined in the same PNR as the xONEx ticket. Obviously as separate tickets the restrictions are the now limited through checking of luggage and protection in times of irregular operations.

Happy wandering (as long as you don't need to through check)

Fred
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I suspect the intent is that other tickets should not be combined in the same PNR as the xONEx ticket. Obviously as separate tickets the restrictions are the now limited through checking of luggage and protection in times of irregular operations.

Happy wandering (as long as you don't need to through check)

Fred
It used to be possible to include side trips on the same ticket. I never did this, as using one of your sixteen sectors towards a separate fare would be madness. But I remember it was possible.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Calchas
It used to be possible to include side trips on the same ticket.
That seems to ring a bell but I'm not sure either. The oldest PDF I could find looking quickly, was Apr 2016, which has the same wording.

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I suspect the intent is that other tickets should not be combined in the same PNR as the xONEx ticket.
That wouldn't be a fare combination on the ticket though. There isn't a restriction on multiple tickets within one PNR, not for oneworld fare products anyway, only system limitations (actual and desisgned).
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by JAXBA
That seems to ring a bell but I'm not sure either. The oldest PDF I could find looking quickly, was Apr 2016, which has the same wording.
I found Feb 2009 version. It has the following wording.

10. PERMITTED COMBINATIONS

Add-ons not permitted
Combinations with other fares not permitted
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is at odds with the GDS: LONLON BA DONE3 has the following:

Code:
COMBINATIONS	
    SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT
    PERMITTED.
    END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED WITH
    NO RESTRICTIONS.
I knew I wasn't (entirely) mad.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
have anyone re-routed under the new rule since the new rule was posted on oneworld website again?

both QR and CX claimed that the rule wont allow the 2 stops in Asia (but it was before the new rule was posted again on oneworld website.)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:40 am

have anyone re-routed under the new rule since the new rule was posted on oneworld website again?

both QR and CX claimed that the rule wont allow the 2 stops in Asia (but it was before the new rule was posted again on oneworld website.)
I believe that this is a moot point because the rules in effect at the time of the purchase are the ones that apply. Calling Calchas & pandperth. I would love to take advantage of the new rules regarding N.Am entries, but the down side is that the fare may be redone at today's rates !!! A big no-no for the ex-CAI fares that everyone is currently using.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I believe that this is a moot point because the rules in effect at the time of the purchase are the ones that apply. Calling Calchas & pandperth.
Well the consensus was that while officially the old rules ought to be used, in practice that is not the case for xONEx fares. I assume this is why pbd456 was seeking reports...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I believe that this is a moot point because the rules in effect at the time of the purchase are the ones that apply. Calling Calchas & pandperth. I would love to take advantage of the new rules regarding N.Am entries, but the down side is that the fare may be redone at today's rates !!! A big no-no for the ex-CAI fares that everyone is currently using.
I have no direct experience of this. And my (maybe faulty) memory is that the fare rules in place at the time of purchase remain in effect for the entirety of the ticket. (IIRC this was in the context of an airline leaving Oneworld, but if you already had a flight booked with that airline, then that was still honoured.)

The barrack-room lawyer in me says that this must be the case - the contract between a pax and an airline essentially consists of the fare rules and the general conditions of carriage. For there to be certainty in the contract, these should remain on effect for the duration of the contracted service, in other for the duration of the ticket.
If a pax could request/demand the right to take advantage of a favourable rule change, then the airlines would in turn demand that unfavourable rule changes be enforced.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I have no direct experience of this. And my (maybe faulty) memory is that the fare rules in place at the time of purchase remain in effect for the entirety of the ticket. (IIRC this was in the context of an airline leaving Oneworld, but if you already had a flight booked with that airline, then that was still honoured.)

The barrack-room lawyer in me says that this must be the case - the contract between a pax and an airline essentially consists of the fare rules and the general conditions of carriage. For there to be certainty in the contract, these should remain on effect for the duration of the contracted service, in other for the duration of the ticket.
If a pax could request/demand the right to take advantage of a favourable rule change, then the airlines would in turn demand that unfavourable rule changes be enforced.
Yes this is correct from the IATA ticketing procedures ("use the fares in effect at the time the ticket was originally issued") for all ticket reissues.

But it is not universally applied when reissuing xONEx fares, probably because changes are done by hand.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I'm curious whether the itinerary (for which QF agreed to use the new fare rules) was ticketed prior to Aug 1, 2017.
Yes, it was done prior that, the ticket was originally issued in 2016 August. Totally forgot to answer as I was busy travelling with that RTW. But if it still interests someone to get recent data points.

As in the previous answers, in my experience, practice have been to use the newest rules, but YMMV.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
2017-Sep-05 New Version of the Rule Sheet

There is a new version of the rule sheet on the OW web site

BUT I cannot spot any changes from the version published on Aug 5th
Can anyone else spot any changes?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
There is a new version of the rule sheet on the OW web site

BUT I cannot spot any changes from the version published on Aug 5th
Can anyone else spot any changes?
I diff'd the old rules with the new from ExpertFlyer. The only change is as follows

Before:

Code:
     TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE /
     MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER OR BY
     SURFACE EG.LON-SYD/MEL V.V. DXB-SYD/MEL V.V. DOH-
     ADL/MEL/PER/SYD V.V. IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING VIA
     ASIA. CONTINENTS SOUTH WEST PACIFIC / ASIA AND
     EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST EACH BE COUNTED.
After:
Code:
     TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE /
     MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER OR BY
     SURFACE EG.LON/DOH/DXB-ADL/CBR/MEL/PER/SYD/AKL
     V.V. IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING VIA
     ASIA CONTINENTS. SOUTH WEST PACIFIC / ASIA AND
     EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST EACH BE COUNTED.
As I read that as a non-exhaustive list of examples, I think it has no material effect.

The changed full stop "ASIA. CONTINENTS" -> "ASIA CONTINENTS." is surely a typo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.