Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Once travel has started CX has reissued several xonex's originally issued by other airlines for me over the years.
how do u get cx to reissued?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by pbd456
how do u get cx to reissued?
I have had them reissue in HKG while I am traveling on the ticket. I provide them the new routing and my credit card, I sit in the lounge for awhile, they come back with the reissue completed. I have also called and given them my new routing and they have reissued.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I have had them reissue in HKG while I am traveling on the ticket. I provide them the new routing and my credit card, I sit in the lounge for awhile, they come back with the reissue completed. I have also called and given them my new routing and they have reissued.
they didnt ask u to contact the original ticketing airline?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by pbd456
they didnt ask u to contact the original ticketing airline?
Uh, no.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Ugh!

I checked Amadeus to see how QF and AA had it filed and of course QF doesn't have the para 4(h) line, as we knew. I also compared paras 3(a)(b) for differences and, well, spot the difference:

QF filed:

Code:
            3. TWO PERMITTED IN EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST
            A. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN AFRICA
            //AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-RTW-EUROPE/MIDDLE
              EAST-AFRICA//
            - ONE OF THE VISITS TO EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST
            BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA
            AND THE PREVIOUS/NEXT CONTINENT
            - IF TRAVEL TO/FROM EUROPE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS
             THE ITINERARY MAY NOT INCLUDE MAURITIUS/SOUTH
             AFRICA.
            B. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING OTHER THAN AFRICA
            //EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST//
             AFRICA.

AA filed:

Code:
3. TWO PERMITTED IN EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST A. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN AFRICA //AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-RTW-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA// - ONE OF THE VISITS TO EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA AND THE PREVIOUS/NEXT CONTINENT. B. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING OTHER THAN AFRICA //EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST// - IF TRAVEL TO/FROM EUROPE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS THE ITINERARY MAY NOT INCLUDE MAURITIUS/SOUTH AFRICA.
I have highlighted the differences between AA's version and QF's version.

So, my understanding of AA's version is:
If I choose to take advantage of the backtrack provisions of Paragraph 4E3, in other words backtracking through Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from Africa, then if American Airlines tickets the itinerary:
  1. I cannot have segments (whether flown or not) between Europe and the Middle East – whereas with Qantas I can have such flights
  2. If I originate in Africa and have both visits to Europe/Middle East via the Europe zone of the continent, then I am allowed to include South Africa and/or Mauritius in the itinerary – whereas with Qantas that inclusion is not allowed
  3. If I originate other than in Africa, then I am allowed stopovers on both visits to the continent of Europe/Middle East – whereas with Qantas one of the visits must be a transfer without stopover
So with AA these itineraries would be valid (but invalid with QF):
JNB-oCPT-LHR-DME-LHR-LAX-HKG-MLE-xLGW-oMRU-JNB - through Europe twice yet including SA/Mauritius

LAX-HKG-MLE-oDOH-oAMM-oDOH-JNB-CPT-oLHR-oDME-oLHR-LAX
- stopovers in Middle East prior to Africa and stopovers in Europe after Africa
We need someone to try booking one of these with AA ATW desk
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I've been spending a bit of time in EF looking at what all the airlines have in their fare rules for this clause.

What I have found is:
  • All airlines that have updated their fare rules, have the same wording as QF - except for AA of course
  • the two airlines that have yet to update their rules (BA and MH) have the same wording as AA (!)
  • except for LA which hasn't updated its rules since last year
So, what I think has happened is:
  • When the rules were changed back on April 22nd, the rules that went into the GDS were a poor translation into GDS-speak of the wording in the oneworld.com pdf document (see table reproduced below)
  • None of us picked up on that (I rarely look at the GDS versions of the rules)
  • And AA merely omitted to change its wording in the way the other airlines did
  • I think the poor translation was to think that in column 2 of the table -the first sentence was in the first row and the second sentence in the second row, whereas it is clear to a reader that both sentences pertain to both rows
Wording of the rule in the pdf document on oneworld.com:
IMHO this wording is in turn a poor translation of the actual requirement, which I think is:
3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East when one is a transfer without stopover. Note only one flight segment permitted between the United Kingdom and South Africa/Mauritius

or maybe (if this was truly the intention)

3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East when one is a transfer without stopover. Note only one flight segment permitted between Europe and South Africa/Mauritius
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Ugh!

I checked Amadeus to see how QF and AA had it filed and of course QF doesn't have the para 4(h) line, as we knew. I also compared paras 3(a)(b) for differences and, well, spot the difference:

QF filed:

Code:
            3. TWO PERMITTED IN EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST
            A. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN AFRICA
            //AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-RTW-EUROPE/MIDDLE
              EAST-AFRICA//
             AFRICA.
            B. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING OTHER THAN AFRICA
            //EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST//
             AFRICA.

AA filed:

Code:
3. TWO PERMITTED IN EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST A. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN AFRICA //AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-RTW-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA// - ONE OF THE VISITS TO EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA AND THE PREVIOUS/NEXT CONTINENT. B. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING OTHER THAN AFRICA //EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST// - IF TRAVEL TO/FROM EUROPE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS THE ITINERARY MAY NOT INCLUDE MAURITIUS/SOUTH AFRICA.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
So is it fare (!) to say that we now officially have a fragmented oneworld Explorer product, rather than was open to interpretation but at least had the same, ridiculously complicated rules?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
So is it fare (!) to say that we now officially have a fragmented oneworld Explorer product, rather than was open to interpretation but at least had the same, ridiculously complicated rules?
Indeed, it seems that oneworld is becoming a looser alliance by the week.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The "more than oneworld"
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
I can't imagine the fragmented product is going to last in this way. Surely there will have to be some consistency brought to bear by oneworld HQ?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beardoc
I can't imagine the fragmented product is going to last in this way. Surely there will have to be some consistency brought to bear by oneworld HQ?
oneworld HQ has nothing to bring to bear. It does what AA/BA/CX/QF (the founding airlines) instruct it to do.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
So the new fare rules have been published on the Oneworld web site
But AA has obviously decided it is right and Oneworld is wrong

This is what AA's new fare rule looks like in ExpertFlyer

Note this is new wording - previously paragraph 4(h) referred to "3.1.3 and 3.2.3" not "FL.E.3.A and E.3.B"
So it looks like AA will still refuse Europe-Middle East flights on backtracking itineraries
Originally Posted by beardoc
Originally Posted by Calchas
oneworld HQ has nothing to bring to bear. It does what AA/BA/CX/QF (the founding airlines) instruct it to do.
Checking today in ExpertFlyer and...
AA's version of the rules now matches all the other airlines' rules
(except for MH which has still not done the August update, and LA which still has last year's version of the rules)
I wonder how that happened
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

2016-Dec-01 New Version of the Rule Sheet

2016-Dec-01 New Version of the Rule Sheet - as published on the Oneworld website

I have spotted two significant changes and two insignificant ones.

Significant Changes:
  • As reported by Calchas in another thread, Oneworld has announced the availability of southern hemisphere 3-continent fares. Consequently the following text has been removed from rule 0:
    3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
  • The restriction on only two long haul intra-continental flights from/to the UK has been removed - in other words the following text has been removed from rule 4(h):
    *not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
IMHO, two significant enhancements^

Insignificant changes
  • Rule 4(g) has been changed from:
    4 (g) Intermediate surface sectors are permitted at the passenger’s expense. Transoceanic surface sectors between TC1-TC2 and TC1-TC3 are not permitted.
    EXCEPTION: For travel originating in the South West Pacific, one transoceanic surface sector between TC1-TC2 or TC1-TC3 is permitted.
    to:
    4 (g) Intermediate surface sectors are permitted at the passenger’s expense. Transoceanic surface sectors between TC1-TC2 and TC1-TC3 are not permitted.
    EXCEPTION: For travel originating in the South West Pacific, one transoceanic surface sector between TC1-TC2 or TC1-TC3 is permitted.
    The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
  • Rule 4 (j) has some changes to the list of affiliated airlines (some of which are merely changing say LAN Peru to LATAM Peru)
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As reported by Calchas in another thread, Oneworld has announced the availability of southern hemisphere 3-continent fares.
While I am always delighted to take credit for the work of others, in this case it was danger who first reported this.

Originally Posted by danger
It's, here, it's here!

Oneworld now offers round-the-world southern hemisphere ticket.

https://www.oneworld.com/news-inform..._col_count%3D5
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
2016-Dec-01 New Version of the Rule Sheet - as published on the Oneworld website.
Interestingly, though, the following remains in the rules:
Travel between South West Pacific and Europe/Middle East on a single flight number/or by surface
eg LON-SYD/MELvv, DXB-SYD/MELvv, DOH-ADL/MEL/PER/SYDvv, is considered travelling via Asia.
Continents South West Pacific, Asia and Europe/Middle East must each be counted
So doesn't that actually contradict the whole 'xONEx from the southern hemisphere is now possible' spruik?

Originally Posted by Calchas
While I am always delighted to take credit for the work of others, in this case it was danger who first reported this.
Very kind of you, Calchas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.