Search

3-class/In'tl config routes within North America on QF oneworld award

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
3-class/In'tl config routes within North America on QF oneworld award

Hi folks

I am looking to redeem QF points for a QF oneworld award which means that my flights within North America will be downgraded from business to coach if I'm not on a 3 class aircraft. I am therefore prepared to forgoe my preferred destinations so that I don't have to put up with AA coach.

My challenge is knowing which routes offer the 3-class aircraft and therefore 'real' business class. So far, I have come up with this list consolidated from a few other posts however they don't appear to have been updated for a while:

AA (some flights) - SFO-JFK
AA (some flights) - LAX-JFK
AA (some flights) - MIA-JFK
AA (some flights) - DFW-ORD
AA (some flights/seasonal) - MIA-BOS
AA (some flights/seasonal) - DFW-MIA
AA (some flights/seasonal) - LAX-MIA
CX - YVR-JFK
LA - YYZ-JFK

Does anyone know of any other 3-class routes?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Wirelessly posted (iPod: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

"Points" implies an award ticket but a DONE4 is a purchased fare. DONEx books into A class on two-class North American domestic flights.

Last edited by anabolism; Apr 13, 2009 at 7:15 pm Reason: Fix capitalization to improve readability
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:24 pm

As he says, any international "D" ticket goes into booking class "A" within North America, and "A" is a domestic first class seat on two-class aircraft. On AA, that means international business class on any 763 used on a domestic route.

Lots of choices there -- and it's the same seat as biz on the three-class aircraft; perhaps better than the one on the old 762s.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Sorry guys, I've used the wrong terminology and confused you. What I meant to refer to was a QF OneWorld Award Booking. The one with 5 stopovers/35K mileage max and 282,500 points. See here ->

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...zone-10-a.html

I've edited the title but it doesn't seem to change the main title.. anyone know how I fix this up?

Last edited by Gold_Member; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:08 pm
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
I've edited the title but it doesn't seem to change the main title.. anyone know how I fix this up?
Ask the friendly moderator. Retitling has been Done 4 you.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator
Old Apr 12, 2009, 4:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
As he says, any international "D" ticket goes into booking class "A" within North America, and "A" is a domestic first class seat on two-class aircraft. On AA, that means international business class on any 763 used on a domestic route.

Lots of choices there -- and it's the same seat as biz on the three-class aircraft; perhaps better than the one on the old 762s.
So, for example, AA1561 ORD-YVR? With NGBC?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by danger
So, for example, AA1561 ORD-YVR? With NGBC?
Well, yeah, since it's a 763 -- but AA1561 operates from ORD to SFO, not YVR.....at least, right now. There's currently no nonstop AA service from ORD to YVR.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any 2 class flight which is not wholly within the USA will be, iirc, operated with Business and Economy so they will be fine ( e.g. USA-Canada ) and so be fine for the use of the award

Dave
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Well, yeah, since it's a 763 -- but AA1561 operates from ORD to SFO, not YVR.....at least, right now. There's currently no nonstop AA service from ORD to YVR.
Yes, sorry. ORD-SFO it is.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold_Member
So far, I have come up with this list consolidated from a few other posts however they don't appear to have been updated for a while:

AA (some flights) - SFO-JFK
AA (some flights) - LAX-JFK
AA (some flights) - MIA-JFK
AA (some flights) - DFW-ORD
AA (some flights/seasonal) - MIA-BOS
AA (some flights/seasonal) - DFW-MIA
AA (some flights/seasonal) - LAX-MIA

Does anyone know of any other 3-class routes?
No, this list is wrong. It looks like it's a list of routes where AA flies any of its widebody aircraft -- all of which have much better premium class seating compared to the narrowbody fleet.

The only domestic routes (i.e., within the U.S.) with actual 3-class service such that you can book "Business" class would be:

SFO-JFK (some flights -- 762s, not 763s)
LAX-JFK (all flights)
LAX-MIA (I think just one flight - the 777)

Note: the only 3-class aircraft AA currently operates are the 767-200s and 777s.
Note: the 777 operated 1x daily on DFW-ORD and v.v. is sold as two-class: First and Coach. Elites and full fares in economy can book seats in the business class cabin with coach service. Not sure if that applies to non-AA oneworld elites.

But as mentioned, flights to Canada, Mexico and Caribbean sell the front cabin (2-class) as Business class, so those should be OK.

Last edited by ijgordon; Apr 15, 2009 at 5:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:04 am
hdm

Programs: QF
I'm am also looking at an Qantas issued Oneworld Award in business class and have the same concerns re being downgraded to economy.

I was looking on Expertflyer and they are showing QF codeshares of AA JFK-SFO flights on 2-class 763s as having 3-classes.

Eg. on 30mar10 QF3074 is showing F-C-Y available, but AA59 only F-Y - I am assuming this is the same aircraft/flight

What gives? Is this correct? If so, what will AA do when we check-in and get our boarding passes - upgrade to first or down-grade to economy?

Also, it looks like on the 762s which have 3-classes the business seats are not Skybeds (as they appear to be in first on the 2-class 763s).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
To the last point - yes, business on a 763 is better than business on a 762, but well short of F on a 762.

And yes, QF seems to have got the loading of business class stuffed up on the 2-class transcon flights.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The only domestic routes (i.e., within the U.S.) with actual 3-class service such that you can book "Business" class would be:

SFO-JFK (some flights -- 762s, not 763s)
LAX-JFK (all flights)
LAX-MIA (I think just one flight - the 777)
I think I read AA is now flying 3-class LAX-EWR as well, with 762 equip. Might not be around forever, but I think for now it is in the system.

FWIW: AA has announced that next year a new route will indeed be ORD-YVR; no idea what equipment though, probably 738.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by christep
To the last point - yes, business on a 763 is better than business on a 762, but well short of F on a 762.

And yes, QF seems to have got the loading of business class stuffed up on the 2-class transcon flights.
Not stuffed. For the QF codeshares on 2 class AA flights , they do offer business class inventories which may sell out before the 1st inventories. Same seating on board of course, but it isn't just the 2 class transcontinentals that have this

The main impact is that earning of FF miles will be based on business class if booked as business class

Dave
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:03 pm
hdm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not stuffed. For the QF codeshares on 2 class AA flights , they do offer business class inventories which may sell out before the 1st inventories. Same seating on board of course, but it isn't just the 2 class transcontinentals that have this

The main impact is that earning of FF miles will be based on business class if booked as business class

Dave
So if I have a Qantas issue Oneworld AWARD business class ticket and I book the QF codeshare, what happens when I check-in at the AA desk - will they issue a first or economy BP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.