Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Didn't CZ actually announce they are leaving SkyTeam at the end of the year? So maybe.....
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Not sure why we need a separate thread with the existing pinned thread . But anyway.

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
id say AS, AT, CZ, EI, IG are all front runners. Also possibility of FJ going to full partner.
AS Alaskan - recently commented it's looking at connect only
AT Maroc - yes given the invites reportedly sent
CZ China Southern - can't see it happening till they actually leave sky, and then CX issues
EI Aer Lingus - Recent IAG statements have suggested no. Possible connect candidate I'd think
IG Air Italy - No chance at present with QR talking up leaving
FJ Fiji - think they'll stay as connect only
also worth adding..
LV/VK Level - but again think connect only
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Will it be AS or will it be AT - personally I would love both, but as I spend more time travelling in Africa AT would be preferable!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:29 pm

Alaska as the next Oneworld Connect member will be a nice addition (and a threat to Star Alliance's Connecting Partner), although I'm curious why Fiji's oneworld connect implementation looks so slow...

Oh. If that December 5 press conference is about CZ joined Oneworld, I'll be gagged.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by T.A.Music
<snipp> although I'm curious why Fiji's oneworld connect implementation looks so slow...
Do you have any examples where anything related to an airline alliance occurred quickly?

Literally everything that OW announces seems to move at a glacial pace...

Regards
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by scubadu
Literally everything that OW announces seems to move at a glacial pace...
... which works greatly to our benefit when currencies are devalued.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... which works greatly to our benefit when currencies are devalued.
Perhaps, but when announcing "new members" that won't actually be bookable for a couple years the currency aspect is largely irrelevant.

Regards
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
From today event in Nadi, you can see that FJ 1st Max with “oneworld connect” logo
harri, aktchi, T.A.Music and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by scubadu
Perhaps, but when announcing "new members" that won't actually be bookable for a couple years the currency aspect is largely irrelevant.
No, I was talking about something else, unrelated to new members. When a currency is devalued, the price of OW tickets in that currency goes down relative to, say, USD or GBP, until the fares adjusted. The slower that OW is in figuring it out and making the necessary adjustments, the longer we have to take advantage of the lower fares. Viz RGN, CAI and others over the years.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

FIJI AIRWAYS OneWorld Connect Membership

From the Fiji Sun today
Another reason to celebrate was that Fiji Airways’ is now being a partner with Global Airline Alliance now joins Oneworld as its first Oneworld connect member.

This means Fiji Airways will connect with major airlines Qantas, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and American Airlines from tomorrow.

This means Fiji will see an increase in visitors, which would be a win-win situation for all stakeholders in the tourism industry.
It appears that tomorrow's OneWorld conference will also encompass Fiji's connect membership coming into effect.

Editorial: Fiji Airways New Max 8 Aircraft A Win-Win | Fiji Sun
aktchi likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Yaay! (Although there's nothing happening in Oneworld website at the moment, maybe December 6 on where I live)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
I think they are announcing the launch date of Oneworld Connect with Fiji as well?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:03 am
Suspended

I have a funny feeling that it may not be rumoured Royal Air Maroc, their FFP does not have the Platinum level to fit with oneworld FFP programme. It will be a lot of work to do after the announcement. I wonder if it could be Sichuan Airlines. Then again strange things have happened before, I will be very happy if RAM is in today!!!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
I have a funny feeling that it may not be rumoured Royal Air Maroc, their FFP does not have the Platinum level to fit with oneworld FFP programme.
That issue is trivial in the long list of things that OW requires to be certified a full member.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
And Royal Air Maroc it is - estimated mid 2020 to be fully integrated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.