Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Besides EI, I can't see any airlines will join oneworld in this year.
And I hear some news from a staff who work in Juneyao airlines, they are in process to fulfill the requirement for Star alliance. Where's oneworld???
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:08 am

I was just checking wikipedia if there is anything new about Aer Lingus as they will rejoin the alliance as IAG took over. Looks like Lion Air (Indonesia) is now on the list as "future member" whats new for me. I know wikipedia is nothing official but why is Lion Air listed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneworld#Future_members
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by venom6
I was just checking wikipedia if there is anything new about Aer Lingus as they will rejoin the alliance as IAG took over. Looks like Lion Air (Indonesia) is now on the list as "future member" whats new for me. I know wikipedia is nothing official but why is Lion Air listed?

This may be slightly off topic, but I think I have to say this. I have flown with them a couple of times. DPS-SIN. The crew forgot to shut the cockpit door and one of the document binders slided backwards in the cabin on takeoff shortly after the door got opened by the gravity. This story is years after 9/11. If Lion Air is to join OW, I would like the alliance to thoroughly check the security of the airline.

Last edited by O Sora; Apr 29, 2016 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since Lion Air has the honour of being on the list of airlines banned from operation in European airspace due to safety concerns, I doubt oneworld will accept them for entry any time soon.

[Garuda Indonesia was on this list for a while, but managed to get itself removed as a condition of entry to SkyTeam.]

The edit is not cited and as far as I can see it is without foundation in fact.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Personally, I would not use wikipedia as even a possible source of info.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:38 pm

So just as i thought somebody (fan of Lion Air) edited the wikipedia site and added Lion air as TBA airline who will join OW. lmao

But do you guys think Aer Lingus and Royal Air Maroc will join this year?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: QFF

It wasn't there when I looked at the page a few days ago and it isn't there now.
It appears that someone in Indonesia added it on the 25th and it was removed this morning.
The same person also edited the Loin Air page, which has just been reversed.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Himeno
Is Loin Air doing status matches?

Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
It wasn't there when I looked at the page a few days ago and it isn't there now.
It appears that someone in Indonesia added it on the 25th and it was removed this morning.
Looks like someone was drunk and thought hes joking around.
I cant wait to see another airline join OW thats why i search for news every month but they are so silent. No news from Aer Lingus at all!

As RAM will use Avios and Qatar Airways bought some of its stocks i hope thats another step into OW. Would be nice to have an African carrier.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
If I exclude BA, then I can mention that QR, RJ and IB are doing a pretty good job in terms of Africa. Then again it leaves lots of the Francophone countries unserved. AT (i.e. Royal Air Maroc) would be a very potent option in terms of increasing OW coverage in a developing market. QR is tapping into it, but it's all DOH based. Especially *A has an edge with SA, MS and ET, while ST is pretty dependant on AF and especially KQ.

EI is for me mainly of interest for TP runs, while AT I'd apreciate for being able to use more OW for my overnight stays on my trek to collect all countries.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The latest from IAG is that EI will join Oneworld on an as yet unspecified date in 2017.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:55 am

I know OW dont want to take every airline into the alliance like SA does or ST where the rest of the industry goes. But i would love to see more new members in terms of covering the globe and new destinations.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF
I know OW dont want to take every airline into the alliance like SA does or ST where the rest of the industry goes. But i would love to see more new members in terms of covering the globe and new destinations.
The "problem" is that most airlines that are not in an alliance either don't want to be, or are not the type of airline an alliance would want.

It is hard to grow an alliance when the majority of airlines the alliance may want to entice refuse to join any alliance.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:33 pm

There's not much left though. Oneworld currently has the biggest airlines in South America, North America, Europe and Australasia on its books. With QR, CX and JL they also have three of the best in the remaining continents. Other than Africa (no decent airlines) and mainland China there isn't much room for expansion.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
AS! AS! AS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.