Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JAXBA
Wiki Link
FAQ


When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):
AT - Royal Air Maroc
Originally Posted by oneworld.com - 05DEC18
Royal Air Maroc is expected to be implemented into oneworld in mid-2020… Its regional subsidiary Royal Air Maroc Express will join as a oneworld affiliate member at the same time.

Expected members:
EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

PZ - LATAM Airlines Paraguay (TAM Mercosur)
An affiliate of JJ, who joined in 2014. The press release from when JJ joined said PZ would be "soon". We're still waiting: Has TAM Mercosur (PZ) joined OW by now?

Originally Posted by oneworld.com - 31MAR14
TAM's affiliate in Paraguay, TAM Airlines (TAM Mercosur), will join oneworld soon, which means that all passenger airlines in LATAM Airlines Group will be part of oneworld.
Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!


.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 6, 16, 7:23 pm
  #1096  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Posts: 2,820
FireFly is not - while described as full service, it operates separately, and indeed was more LCC when running the 737s

MasWings is

Jetconnect (Qantas NZ base) and QantasLink are

JLs subs J-Air and JTA are afaik

BAs Comair is (albeit not IAG owned)

The LCCs Jetstar (QF), Jetstar Asia (QF), Jetstar Japan (QF/JL), Jetstar Pacific (QF), Vuelig (BA/IB) are not
moa999 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 16, 3:14 pm
  #1097  
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
FireFly is not - while described as full service, it operates separately, and indeed was more LCC when running the 737s

MasWings is

Jetconnect (Qantas NZ base) and QantasLink are

JLs subs J-Air and JTA are afaik

BAs Comair is (albeit not IAG owned)

The LCCs Jetstar (QF), Jetstar Asia (QF), Jetstar Japan (QF/JL), Jetstar Pacific (QF), Vuelig (BA/IB) are not
Flights on MASwings used to earn miles but this is no longer the case when crediting to AA and BA. (And probably many other OW airlines)

From AA.com:
Flights operated by Firefly and MAS wings are excluded from all frequent flyer program terms.
MASwings is also no longer listed on oneworld.com
kcaluwae is offline  
Old Aug 23, 16, 8:02 pm
  #1098  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 5,623
Mhmmmm, how come PR isn't in an alliance? They wouldn't bring much to OW that CX doesn't offer but still surprising they're nowhere.
Smiley90 is online now  
Old Aug 23, 16, 8:43 pm
  #1099  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 88
Sure they would. The Philippines is a fairly large country (102 million) and if nothing else, they would add a large FF base and growth market for OW.
(Plus, OW is just small in Asia compared to others so it'd be nice to have some siz ein the Region)
AJones2000 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 16, 8:49 pm
  #1100  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 5,623
Originally Posted by AJones2000 View Post
Sure they would. The Philippines is a fairly large country (102 million) and if nothing else, they would add a large FF base and growth market for OW.
(Plus, OW is just small in Asia compared to others so it'd be nice to have some siz ein the Region)
Plus they'd add another 5th freedom NA route!

(the second 5th freedom YVR-JFK round-trip after CX YVR-JFK, coincidentally)

there's only 3 non-stop round-trips YVR-NYC (AC to EWR, CX and PR to JFK) so I'm all for it.
Smiley90 is online now  
Old Aug 24, 16, 3:37 am
  #1101  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,322
And at LHR, they're transferring ops to T3 on October 19th!! They currently codeshare with EY, CX, GF, MH and TK.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Aug 25, 16, 9:22 am
  #1102  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,745
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Mhmmmm, how come PR isn't in an alliance?
Cost, probably. Membership is not free.
Calchas is offline  
Old Aug 25, 16, 10:45 am
  #1103  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Cost, probably. Membership is not free.
I always forget that. Is it a publicly available #?
AJones2000 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 16, 4:32 pm
  #1104  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 581
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
In addition the Tatas & SQ are planning a full service airline in India.

I am not sure if 1W would like AI as much as the reverse.
So now that Vistara (UK) is up and running, would SQ let UK join oneworld? Does SQ have a say with less than half ownership? SQ (they own 49% of UK) is in Star, but so is AI. 9W may join Sky, which would leave oneworld as the only alliance without an Indian airline. UK looks like a perfect fit.
NYCRuss is offline  
Old Sep 24, 16, 7:37 pm
  #1105  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SIN/BRS
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 426
Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
So now that Vistara (UK) is up and running, would SQ let UK join oneworld? Does SQ have a say with less than half ownership? SQ (they own 49% of UK) is in Star, but so is AI. 9W may join Sky, which would leave oneworld as the only alliance without an Indian airline. UK looks like a perfect fit.
'Would SQ let UK join' is a legitimate question indeed. Personally I think it is possible either way or even not putting Vistara in an alliance - like how Silkair has been.

Though I don't think UK is at the size that would adequately serve OW needs or even need alliance memberships to be discussed yet. Also, if Interjet joins oneworld somehow like some persistent rumours insist, I bet there's a greater chance for IndiGo to join than Vistara.

But who knows? It's hard to predict anything at all. No one would have expected China Eastern and China Southern to be bedfellows in Skyteam for example.
MeltingAlf is offline  
Old Sep 26, 16, 7:50 am
  #1106  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 88
Alsoi, from what I've heard, UK isn't doing so hot (very premium-heavy a/c)
AJones2000 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 16, 3:53 pm
  #1107  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 581
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf View Post
'Would SQ let UK join' is a legitimate question indeed. Personally I think it is possible either way or even not putting Vistara in an alliance - like how Silkair has been.

Though I don't think UK is at the size that would adequately serve OW needs or even need alliance memberships to be discussed yet. Also, if Interjet joins oneworld somehow like some persistent rumours insist, I bet there's a greater chance for IndiGo to join than Vistara.

But who knows? It's hard to predict anything at all. No one would have expected China Eastern and China Southern to be bedfellows in Skyteam for example.
I think that OW should consider pursuing UK now, even though this is a nascent airline. UK has some exceptional qualities that may not available with other airlines in the future.

UK is owned by Tata Sons Limited (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%.) As an outsider looking in, that's high quality ownership. Ownership that's well capitalized and looking at the long run. Not IT.

UK seems to have 5-star aspirations. Well run 5-star airlines are rare. They're not there yet, but I wouldn't bet against them. A 5-star airline in the second most populous nation where OW has no member airline? Yes, please.

OW can help UK grow now by helping to feed it traffic. Seems like a win-win to me.


Originally Posted by AJones2000 View Post
Also, from what I've heard, UK isn't doing so hot (very premium-heavy a/c)
I've read that UK was too premium heavy, but that they adjusted:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50329064.cms

Not sure if they're still too premium heavy.
NYCRuss is offline  
Old Oct 1, 16, 12:28 am
  #1108  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SIN/BRS
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 426
Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
I think that OW should consider pursuing UK now, even though this is a nascent airline. UK has some exceptional qualities that may not available with other airlines in the future.

UK is owned by Tata Sons Limited (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%.) As an outsider looking in, that's high quality ownership. Ownership that's well capitalized and looking at the long run. Not IT.

UK seems to have 5-star aspirations. Well run 5-star airlines are rare. They're not there yet, but I wouldn't bet against them. A 5-star airline in the second most populous nation where OW has no member airline? Yes, please.

OW can help UK grow now by helping to feed it traffic. Seems like a win-win to me.




I've read that UK was too premium heavy, but that they adjusted:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50329064.cms

Not sure if they're still too premium heavy.
As someone who has bias in choosing SIA and OW when possible, UK in OW is a pipe dream for me.

I don't think it's a given that UK will be shoehorned into *A even with SIA inside. MI isn't, and SIA is known to be picky with their friends even in *A. I would dare say UK in OW is a logical move for the management in the long run as Vistara grows, both to counter the badly run Air India in *A as well as taking away passengers to an alliance with although less members but less competition as well yet have the feed and market to push continuing short haul. That would be a winner for profits and SIA + Tata probably will not give up a money making opportunity if it ever arises.
MeltingAlf is offline  
Old Oct 1, 16, 6:07 pm
  #1109  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Accor, SPG, Marco Polo Club, Finnair Plus
Posts: 48
Just hear that some news from Chengdu..... Sichuan airlines will go Skyteam.... again ..... where's OW carrier in Mainland China.
lokron1125 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 16, 8:49 am
  #1110  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 88
One of the big problems for OW in China is that most are partially owned by either ChinaSouthern, ChinaEastern, or Air China. Doesn't give a lot of potential when the only leftover carrier is HU, who owns a carrier that directly competes with CX/Dragon. Your Sichuan example is owned 40% by Southern, 10% by an AirChina subsidiary (Shandong) and 10% by Shanghai, a MU subsidiary.
AJones2000 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread