Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'd love to have another member which has a real F cabin on long hauls.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
El Al is not a member of any alliance, and is unlikely to become one. El Al has partnership deals with a number of oneworld members, but it is as much a part of an alliance as EK is.
Wouldn't surprise me to see them in an alliance in the near future.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by :D!
Please explain?
El Al is not a member of any alliance, and is unlikely to become one. El Al has partnership deals with a number of oneworld members.
LOL That's what you get for paying attention to a post made at 2:37 AM. Yes, El Al is a partner of AA, which is what I was really thinking of, but no they are not in OW. Also not likely to be.

Back to the original question, there is no candidate in India. Air India is already gone (Thank God!) and Jet Airways won't come in unless Etihad does. No other prospect at the moment.

Similarly, Middle East is well represented by RJ and QR.

So in the end I would be happy to see one of the Chinese and African carriers in OW that have been mentioned.

If we are allowed to daydream then it would be nice to woo a few away from *A and ST. Singapore, Thai, Swiss, ANA, LH, KLM, etc. This is not realistic, just daydreaming.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:22 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by aktchi
Yes, El Al is a partner of AA, which is what I was really thinking of, but no they are not in OW. Also not likely to be.
Actually, AA has discontinued earn/burn relationships with LY as of last year.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ines/el-al.jsp
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Actually, AA has discontinued earn/burn relationships with LY as of last year.
Oh well, guess I was lucky to benefit from the AA-LY partnership when I did.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Oneworld needs Royal Air Maroc and Hainan to fill their enormous gaps in Africa and China.

Royal Air Maroc can cover west Africa, Comair has southern Africa, and Qatar can provide decent coverage in the eastern portion of the continent. RAM is a great, high quality airline and would be an excellent asset.

Hainan is pretty much the largest non-affiliated carrier in China at this point and it would be good to have.

I'd also love to see WestJet, Interjet, or Air Tahiti Nui but I think those are less important.

Aer Lingus will obviously be joining in the near future, probably along with Vueling.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I wonder whether OW could/would make a play for I9...now that the principle of letting a near-LCC like AB in (to cover the gap in Germany and central Europe) has been established and is stable, why not I9 to cover more of a country with 1/6 of the world's population, than can be covered by QR, BA and UL (and yes, a handful of connections by AY, KA, CX, JL)? Would help with getting better feed to the gateways at a minimum, and would give OW members more access to the subcontinent.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How many airlines who already joined OW alliance? Do you know?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by N830MH
How many airlines who already joined OW alliance? Do you know?
Here's a link to a list of the current 15 members: https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview

Previous members are Canadian Airlines, Aer Lingus, Mexicana.

Is this what you were looking for N830MH?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Alas One World member Malev is also no longer flying

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And Kingfisher which was all but joined when it collapsed.

scnzzz - who are you meaning by I9??
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999

It appears that the I9 IATA code is used by a US airline Indigo (ICAO IBU, call sign Indigo Blue) and a subsidiary of Italian carrier Meridiana (6E) (Air Italy I9/AEY).

You might mean 6E/IGO IndiGo from India.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Meridiana is IG (and is who I thought of when I read I9 - until scnzzz started describing India).

Thanks for the reminders about MA and IT. I felt my list was too short.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My bad

Yes, I meant Indigo in India, 6E. And after posting, I found out they have no FFP at all - by design. Which rather rules them out I suppose. Bummer.

Sloppy lookup on my part. Mea culpa.

Originally Posted by moa999

It appears that the I9 IATA code is used by a US airline Indigo (ICAO IBU, call sign Indigo Blue) and a subsidiary of Italian carrier Meridiana (6E) (Air Italy I9/AEY).

You might mean 6E/IGO IndiGo from India.
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Meridiana is IG (and is who I thought of when I read I9 - until scnzzz started describing India).

Thanks for the reminders about MA and IT. I felt my list was too short.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
That might make for an interesting thread. Airline codes which are used by more than one carrier. I'll start with this contribution: WE is the code for Thai Smile, the LCC division of TG. I believe that the fleet consists of 14 322s.

It's also the code for Centurion Air Cargo, based at MIA and flying mostly to South America with a fleet of 10 M11s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.