Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
9W would be great! Especially as Air India has joined *A, would be nice if the 'other' Indian airline joined OW
For all practical purposes 9W is now controlled if not owned by Etihad.
It will join oneworld if Etihad does, which does not seem likely at the moment.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I'm curious as to what the actual new membership criteria are in terms of voting. I know that a candidate airline has to be sponsored by a current member into the alliance, but I'm wondering if CX holds some sort of special veto power.
My understanding is that in OW a new member can only join if all members agree, at least that was the case for LX. Don't know if things changed recently. I think *A runs a bit differently.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:53 am
Suspended

Just a side note, HU controlling HX is now actually a good thing for CX because both are standing together in preventing QF+MU to set up Jetstar HKG. Although many believe BA is in the step to court Sichuan Airlines or a Shanghai based carrier into oneworld, I won't be surprised that HU may just come ahead of the game with the Jetstar HKG battle, but if they do admitted into oneworld, it will be a very heavily restricted relationship with CX at least to say.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:22 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Given the code shares, and expanding regional network on A319s I'd like to see PG Bangkok Airways join.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GK
Given the code shares, and expanding regional network on A319s I'd like to see PG Bangkok Airways join.
PG already codeshares and has mutual mileage agreement with JL.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I think PG codeshares with just about everyone flying to BKK - given their near monopoly on Koh Samui (the airlines owns the airport).

Wikipedia shows:
oneworld - AB, BA, CX, AY, JL, MH, QF, QR
Skyteam - AF, GA, KL
Star - BR, TG, MI (but not SQ)
Other - EY, QV (Lao)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Vueling

Vueling (part of IBA) recently started doing some codeshares with AA.

On the other hand: They're a LCC and probably will remain one so that might be a reason they will not join OW.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:54 pm

Korean Air

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I just rode over to the Grand Hyatt Incheon with a KE captain coming off JFK-ICN. He's American (i.e., from the U.S.). Said that AA and KE are about to start codesharing. Anyone hear anything?
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Thanks. He also said that he's heard internally at KE that AA and KE are going to end up in the same alliance, but didn't know whether it will be ST or OW. (Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what he said.)

That would be interesting. They're both founding members of their respective alliances. Personally, I don't believe it, though.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
KE and AA are codesharing on the DFW-ICN route.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
I don't believe it too...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
How about Interjet??
http://fsmex.com/noticias/interjet-t...ia-a-oneworld/
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by lokron1125
Too small and too regional for OW?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Too small and too regional for OW?
Then how do you explain Malev joining in the past. The same could be said for AS, but everyone would love to see them join.

Interjet would be a great addition, but I'm not sure they're ready to make that leap yet. If BA and/or LA join in with a codeshare, I think its reasonable to say where 4O is headed.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Apr 2, 2015 at 5:08 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by lokron1125
I think that their route map is a great fit for OW. 4O codeshares with four airlines, all in OW. They are AA, BA, IB, and LA.

The downside is that they're a LCC with only one class of seats. Also, I don't think that 4O has lounges.

They look like a potential fit for OW in the future if they make some moves in the full service direction.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
EY already has its own equity partnerships with 9W, 0D and so on. It is less likely to join OW unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.