Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnsettAU
If this is indeed true, it will make things difficult for OW - looks like we'll have no members in China, India, or anywhere in Africa...
Well, we still have the few BA-livered Comair flights in South Africa, who are oneworld affiliate flights, but, yes, I know what you mean and how you feel.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Flightglobal is now reporting this is not true - RAM has not yet decided which alliance it will join.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Flightglobal is now reporting this is not true - RAM has not yet decided which alliance it will join.
Ha!

Here's RAM's statement in French:
https://twitter.com/RAM_Maroc/status/558586748578824192

Last edited by NYCRuss; Jan 23, 2015 at 7:13 am
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Ha!

Here's RAM's statement in French:
https://twitter.com/RAM_Maroc/status/558586748578824192
Now then, is that true, or are they pulling a QR (who kept saying they were not joining an alliance, right up until they announced they were in a press conference)?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
Now then, is that true, or are they pulling a QR (who kept saying they were not joining an alliance, right up until they announced they were in a press conference)?
That's from Royal Air Maroc's official Twitter feed. I think that it's more credible than a single Internet article without any named sources. The RAM statement is unequivocal that they have not decided to join Star Alliance, and that they have never even negotiated with them.

Until more compelling evidence emerges, I am going to take RAM at their word.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: QFF
That's from Royal Air Maroc's official Twitter feed. I think that it's more credible than a single Internet article without any named sources. The RAM statement is unequivocal that they have not decided to join Star Alliance, and that they have never even negotiated with them.

Until more compelling evidence emerges, I am going to take RAM at their word.
I am as well, however that's not what I was suggesting.

Shortly before QR announced they were joining oneworld, there were rumours that they were and QR kept denying they were talking to anyone about it or were even interested. Then a press conference happened where right before it started, QR denied it, then 10 minutes later in the conference said they were.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Aer Lingus, who looks like they will be bought by IAG. Hopefully bye bye TATL YQ.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Aer Lingus, who looks like they will be bought by IAG. Hopefully bye bye TATL YQ.
Equally of importance amongst the missing would be the UK APD.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Which would bring them full circle as they used to be in oneworld, but left when they went LCC.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by skunker

Which would bring them full circle as they used to be in oneworld, but left when they went LCC.

IIRC, Aer Lingus was in oneworld from the start, weren't they?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by onobond
IIRC, Aer Lingus was in oneworld from the start, weren't they?
No, but they did join early on.

oneworld was founded in 1998/1999 by AA, BA, CP, CX & QF

EI joined in 2000, at the same time as LA

EI withdrew in 2007, at the same time that MA, JL & RJ joined
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
I am as well, however that's not what I was suggesting.

Shortly before QR announced they were joining oneworld, there were rumours that they were and QR kept denying they were talking to anyone about it or were even interested. Then a press conference happened where right before it started, QR denied it, then 10 minutes later in the conference said they were.
Is it possible that RAM will join *A, even though they unequivocally stated that they won't, and that they never even negotiated with *A? Sure, it's possible.

Is it likely? As an outsider looking in, I don't have the knowledge to really know. That said, I doubt that there's much chance that RAM will join *A. It just doesn't seem to be what is best for a RAM.

As far as comparing the RAM situation to that of QR, they just seem very different to me.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Indeed. Some political issues, but it does appear possible EI might teturn to the oneworld fold. ^

BBC today (link to "Aer Lingus 'to accept' new IAG bid" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-3096734)
Irish airline Aer Lingus is set to approve a new takeover bid by British Airways owner IAG, the BBC understands.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2015 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
As far as comparing the RAM situation to that of QR, they just seem very different to me.
This.

I'm all for expansion of OW but I'm not sure about some recent (and not-so-recent) adds. I'm not a huge fan of the LCC adds (AB and potentially now EI); basically that adds destinations but dilutes the value of the product. I suppose AB was unavoidable in terms of access to central Europe, but it's still not in the same class as AA/BA and forget about the level of QF/JL/CX, let alone QR.

What does AT bring to OW? I'd be surprised if IB and BA don't together provide most of the coverage that AT does, barring intra-Morocco flights.

Now AT doesn't necessarily bring a large pool of elites to the table either (so we won't see quite the carping seen on the *A channels when AI finally made it in)...but I guess I don't see the value proposition if they do actually join OW. Actually with QR in the fold now, even RJ feels to me largely redundant in the alliance.

Meh, maybe I'm being too much of a cynic, but this certainly doesn't provoke the sort of excitement for me that QR, MH or even UL did.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:50 pm

TAP Portugal

An article in today's New York Times cites an analyst who raises the possibility that IAG may bid for Finnair and TP.

Mr. Wober, an analyst, said future acquisition targets for the group could include Finnair, with which I.A.G. already has a trans-Atlantic joint venture that also includes American Airlines. Another, he said, might be TAP Portugal, for which the Portuguese government recently solicited bids for its two-thirds stake.
I imagine that if this happens, TP will leave *A for OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.