Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I heard Air India is getting so sick of waiting on star that it wants to partner up with QR and join OW.
They are touting it as a possible option if things with Star don't get going within a month as I recall. If AI were to join OW, OW would have a significant advantage over Skyteam and Star to/from India between Sri Lankan, Qatar and Air India.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I heard Air India is getting so sick of waiting on star that it wants to partner up with QR and join OW.
In addition the Tatas & SQ are planning a full service airline in India.

I am not sure if 1W would like AI as much as the reverse.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF WP
Did anyone else notice the Qatar Airways Tail logo on the Oneworld website yesterday? It was located between the QF & RJ logos. Someone must have thought they were joining 1st Oct not the 30th Oct. The website has since been updated and the tail logo removed. Looked good while it lasted. Bring on 30th Oct. Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:59 pm

although the routes are not shown yet

Doha has already been given the larger font to signify OW member main hub- HKG/SYD/LHR all have the same font
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Interesting analysis on the possible entrance of Air India into oneworld:
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-etihad-130184

I think that the addition of Qatar will benefit not only the routes options, but also the strategies of the alliance.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Interesting analysis on the possible entrance of Air India into oneworld:
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-etihad-130184

I think that the addition of Qatar will benefit not only the routes options, but also the strategies of the alliance.
from reading the article we know that the deadline set by AI to consider joining Star is october 13, after that they will accept QR offer of mentoring into OW. That in turn would made Southeast Asia another OW stronghold, after Latin America, although in my opinion AI is not OW fodder quality wise. Interesting to note that QR is already acting as full member even though they still officially have to join, that suggests they are fully at work exploring various options. I hope they are/will be engaged soon in talks with other airlines, especially in Continental Europe and China.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by CXBA
from reading the article we know that the deadline set by AI to consider joining Star is october 13, after that they will accept QR offer of mentoring into OW. That in turn would made Southeast Asia another OW stronghold, after Latin America, although in my opinion AI is not OW fodder quality wise. Interesting to note that QR is already acting as full member even though they still officially have to join, that suggests they are fully at work exploring various options. I hope they are/will be engaged soon in talks with other airlines, especially in Continental Europe and China.
I had your same impressions when I read the analysis. Qatar is a strong member for the governance of the alliance, even though I don't consider AI at oneworld's standards, it may be good to have them on board for the future.
Not sure about China, but in Europe Qatar could give its contribution to make the alliance grow.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Whatever AI able to join oneworld or not....
Hope oneworld will announce new member soon
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:23 am
Suspended

i think instead that with QR fully on board, OW has at least a member with political clout strong enough to counter those of LH and AF/KL. Being a member with access to significant oil resources will undoubtedly struck a chord with the Chinese, while in Europe the only result I can see is possibly counter Etihad influence in Air Berlin, or getting AZ out from the ugly hands of the French
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by CXBA
i think instead that with QR fully on board, OW has at least a member with political clout strong enough to counter those of LH and AF/KL. Being a member with access to significant oil resources will undoubtedly struck a chord with the Chinese, while in Europe the only result I can see is possibly counter Etihad influence in Air Berlin, or getting AZ out from the ugly hands of the French
As a state owned (and Qatar is a strong and influential country) company it has and will have a more privileged access to agreement made by governments.
I can't tell you about China because I'm not informed enough to support a thesis, but as I'm Italian I know a lot about the current Alitalia's situation: they just agreed to inject 500 million euros and the government entered again through the Italian post service. I don't think this move will last and AF/KLM has to seriously take a decision on their presence in the airline. Qatar, maybe in conjunction with IAG could take over the company and restructure it, improving the routes in the Middle East and Africa.

Last edited by themapelligroup; Oct 12, 2013 at 5:46 am
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
As a state owned (and Qatar is a strong and influential country) company it has and will have a more privileged access to agreement made by governments.
I can't tell you about China because I'm not informed enough to support a thesis, but as I'm Italian I know a lot about the current Alitalia's situation: they just agreed to inject 500 million euros and the government entered again through the Italian post service. I don't this move will last and AF/KLM has to seriously take a decision on their presence in the airline. Qatar, maybe in conjunction with IAG could take over the company and restructure it, improving the routes in the Middle East and Africa.
that is one of my thoughts/hopes also, and in all frankness the last thing I would see is the Italian market given on a gold platter to either AF or LH, they had enough support in the past from EU and now it's likely they are maneuvering to gobble the last big market they don't control fully, just to prop their own failing finances.
BTW I am Italian too
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
I don't think IAG will touch Alitalia. I suspect they've looked at it, but only to discount it. IAG was clearly annoyed at the political interference with Iberia, which would only be far worse with Alitalia.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by ian001
I don't think IAG will touch Alitalia. I suspect they've looked at it, but only to discount it. IAG was clearly annoyed at the political interference with Iberia, which would only be far worse with Alitalia.
Totally agreed. Mine is only a patriotic wishful thinking.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended

So 13th October is almost ended. Any news on AI?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: LANPASS
Originally Posted by chongcao
So 13th October is almost ended. Any news on AI?
I think it meant October 2013, not 13th...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.